Monday, Aug 08, 2022 - 16:11:42
19 results - (0.002 seconds)

the separatists:

latest news at page 1:
1
    Pro-Kremlin separatists in the Donbas have blocked access to Google, accusing the tech giant of promoting 'violence against Russians'. Rebel leader Denis Pushilin said the search engine was risking the lives of Putin's forces because of its apparent bias towards Ukraine. The head of the Donetsk People's Republic announced the decision on Telegram, a day after the neighbouring Lugansk People's Republic blocked the US site.  Russian soldiers fire a 2S4 Tyulpan self-propelled heavy mortar from their position at an undisclosed location in Ukraine today Pro-Kremlin separatists in the Donbas have blocked access to Google, accusing the tech giant of promoting 'violence against Russians' He said: 'Today, the West and Ukraine are exerting unprecedented pressure on the Republic and posing threats to both physical and psychological security.  'The purpose of this pressure is to intimidate the inhabitants of the Donetsk People's Republic, to break their spirit. 'We are sure that they will not succeed, because it is impossible to break the Russian spirit, but it is also impossible to remain inactive in such a situation.' RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next...
    EMMANUEL Macron and Vladimir Putin had a huge argument over the phone just four days before Russia invaded Ukraine. During the dramatic conversation, the highly-strung French President slammed his Russian counterpart after he suggested France negotiated with pro-Russian separatists. 3Emmanuel Macron sought to understand Putin's "intentions" during the callCredit: AFP 3While Putin accused Macron of not engaging with pro-Russia separatistsCredit: AP "I don't even know where your lawyers learned the law!," the leaker telephone recording shows. As Macron insisted Putin should meet with US President Joe Biden to pacify the discussion, a tense Putin rebutted the request and retorted he was in the in the gym about to play ice hockey. The recording of the confidential call was published by French TV broadcaster France 2 as part of a documentary about Macron's handling of the Ukraine war. During the tense exchange on February 20, 2022, during which Putin is in a gym, Macron seeks to understand Putin's "intentions" and asks what steps should be taken to avoid an all-out war. READ MORE IN RUSSIAN NEWSTAKEN OUT Putin's tank chief becomes...
    Emmanuel Macron and Vladimir Putin had a furious telephone bust-up just four days before Russian forces invaded Ukraine, a bombshell recording has revealed. The French president blasted his counterpart over suggestions he should negotiate with pro-Russian separatists, exclaiming at one point: 'I don't know where your lawyers learned the law!' The tense exchange ended with Putin declaring he is in the gym about to play ice hockey after brushing off requests to hold a meeting with Joe Biden. The details of the confidential February 20 call were revealed by the broadcaster France 2 in a documentary on the French president's handling of the conflict that will air on Thursday. The following day, Putin declared Russia recognised the Donetsk People's Republic and the Luhansk People's Republic and full invasion began on the morning of February 24. In the exchange, which finds Putin limbering up in a gymnasium, Putin describes the 2014 revolution that brought pro-Western leaders to power in Ukraine as a coup and accuses Volodymyr Zelensky of refusing to engage in dialogue with pro-Russian separatists. Emmanuel Macron and Vladimir Putin had...
    Russian President Vladimir Putin has taunted the US but changing the address of the American embassy in Moscow to name it after the pro-Kremlin separatists in Ukraine.   Authorities in Moscow said on Wednesday that they had changed the official address of the US embassy in the Russian capital after naming a previously unnamed open area in front of the building's main entrance. It said the embassy is now located at 1 Donetsk People's Republic Square, referring to a breakaway region in eastern Ukraine that Moscow recognised as independent shortly before sending troops there. The embassy's previous address was 8 Bolshoi Devyatinsky Lane. The statement added that the change was made after Moscow councillors proposed honouring the 'defenders of Donbas' - a majority Russian-speaking region in Ukraine that Russia says it is liberating as part of its military campaign - on the map of Moscow. Authorities in Moscow said on Wednesday that they had changed the official address of the US embassy in the Russian capital (pictured) after naming a previously unnamed open area in front of the building's main entrance  In...
    As tensions between Ukraine and Russia escalate in Donbass, significant reports are coming in from the Kiev administration. They stacked nearly 100 thousand soldiers In a speech to parliament, Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov said Russia had deployed more than 94,000 troops near Ukraine’s borders and was preparing for a major offensive by the end of January, citing intelligence reports. “We are ready for all scenes” Minister Resnikov said Ukraine would do nothing to provoke the situation but was ready to retaliate if Russia attacked. “Our intelligence is analyzing all the circumstances, including the worst,” Resnikov said, adding that the “winter training period” in Russia has begun, and Moscow is conducting exercises near the Ukrainian territory. It is estimated that there are about 100,000 troops in Russia’s annexed Crimea and in separatist – controlled areas in eastern Ukraine. Russia-Ukraine tensions Protests began in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine, on November 21, 2013, following President Viktor Yanukovych’s failure to sign the European Union (EU) agreement. Following the escalation of protests after Yanukovych left the country in February...
    Already subscribed? Log in Not yet a subscriber? Take advantage of the first month free* Subscribe Or * then current price, without commitment Account with access found We found another account giving you access to this content: .Do you want to change accounts to read this article ?. To cancel Change account Updating your access profile We are reloading the page to give you access to the content of this article.
    Europe Maria udrescu Subscribers Published on 03/09/21 at 7:05 p.m. – Updated 03/09/21 at 7:16 p.m. © BELGA The outcome of the vote was predictable but will not fail to cause a stir in Catalonia, where the separatists have imposed themselves, stronger than ever, in the regional elections in February. Following the previous vote of its Legal Committee, the European Parliament on Tuesday lifted the parliamentary immunity of its elected separatists Carles Puigdemont, Toni Comín and Clara Ponsatí, all three involved in the organization of an illegal self-determination referendum in 2017 in the Catalan region.
    Already subscribed? Log in Not yet a subscriber? Take advantage of the first month free* Subscribe Or * then current rate, without commitment Account with access found We found another account giving you access to this content: .Do you want to change accounts to read this article ?. To cancel Change account Updating your access profile We are reloading the page to give you access to the content of this article.
    Europe Paco Audije – Correspondent in Madrid Subscribers Published on 02-15-21 at 7:17 p.m. – Updated 02-15-21 at 7:18 p.m. © . In the new assembly, the separatists will have 74 deputies out of 138, the far left independentist (CUP) has gone from 4 to 9 elected. The fact remains that an ERC-JxCat alliance will not be so easy to conclude despite the fine words of certain political leaders …
    The scene of an attempted secession in 2017, Catalonia votes Sunday during regional meetings dominated by the Covid and during which the Socialist Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez hopes to dislodge the separatists from power, a delicate bet. Maintained at their initial date by the courts while the regional government had pushed them back at the end of May due to the pandemic, these elections are being held in a context of an explosion of contaminations since the end of the year holidays. Very controversial decision, people carrying the virus or in quarantine will have the right to go to the polling stations from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., just before they close. Cascading exemption requests Equipped for this time slot with full protective suits, the assessors called by lot to hold the polling stations tried to withdraw en masse. Almost 31,000 of the 82,000 people concerned have thus submitted a request for exemption. The authorities, who ensure that the holding of the poll is not in danger, did not indicate how many had been accepted. Rodrigo Sánchez, a 53-year-old...
    EMMANUEL Macron warned Islam is a religion in "crisis all over the world" as he outlined new laws to combat "separatists" in France. In a keynote speech today, the French president unveiled new legislation aimed at tackling radicalism which can lead to terrorism. 1Macron today described Islam as 'a religion that is in crisis all over the world'Credit: AP:Associated Press He has coined the term "separatism" to describe the underworld that thrives in some neighborhoods around France where radical muslims have taken control of local communities. Macron claimed that there had been "an extreme hardening of positions" in recent years adding "Islamist separatism" had become a problem in his nation However, members of France’s six-million-strong Muslim community - the largest in Western Europe - immediately accused him of stirring up Islamophobic and racist feeling so as to appeal to far-right voters. In a speech broadcast live from Les Mureaux, north of Paris, Mr Macron said it was important to be tough while not "stigmatising all Muslims." New legislation will allow the dissolution of religious groups that "attack the dignity of people,...
    Riyadh (AFP) – Yemen’s president on Saturday called on southern separatists to “stop the bloodshed” and abide by a power-sharing agreement, in his first public comments since the secessionists declared autonomy in April. The conflict between the Southern Transitional Council (STC) and the internationally recognised government of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi constitutes a second front in Yemen, already split by a war between government loyalists and Iran-backed Huthi rebels. The STC, which declared self-rule on April 26, has made a series of military gains, the latest this month when it seized the strategic island of Socotra. “I call on the so-called Southern Transitional Council… to return to the path of the Riyadh Agreement and stop the bloodshed,” Hadi said during a meeting on Saturday with high-level government officials, referring to a power-sharing deal for the south struck last November that quickly became defunct. The Riyadh accord’s implementation “has long faltered due to continuous escalatory activities, including the announcement of self-rule and the rebellion witnessed in Socotra”, Hadi said. “Resorting to arms and force for personal gains… will not be accepted.”...
    SANAA – The Saudi-led coalition embroiled in a years-long conflict in Yemen announced on Monday that Emirati-backed southern separatists and the country’s internationally recognized government have agreed to a cease-fire after months of infighting. The agreement aims to close the rift between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, nominal allies in a war against Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels. Coalition spokesman Col. Turki al-Maliki said delegates from the separatists’ Southern Transitional Council and the Yemeni government are meeting in the Saudi capital of Riyadh to push the implementation of a November 2019 deal that ended earlier fighting. Violence has flared between the separatist group and government forces since the Southern Transitional Council declared self-rule over the key port city Aden and other southern provinces in April. The renewed clashes reopened a new front inside the larger civil war, which has killed over 112,000 people and ignited what the United Nations has labeled the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. The intensifying split in the south has also hobbled authorities’ response to the coronavirus pandemic and complicated attempts to jump-start a wider peace...
    SANAA, Yemen (AP) — The Saudi-led coalition embroiled in a years-long conflict in Yemen announced on Monday that Emirati-backed southern separatists and the country’s internationally recognized government have agreed to a cease-fire after months of infighting. The agreement aims to close the rift between Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, nominal allies in a war against Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels. Coalition spokesman Col. Turki al-Maliki said delegates from the separatists’ Southern Transitional Council and the Yemeni government are meeting in the Saudi capital of Riyadh to push the implementation of a November 2019 deal that ended earlier fighting. Violence has flared between the separatist group and government forces since the Southern Transitional Council declared self-rule over the key port city Aden and other southern provinces in April. The renewed clashes reopened a new front inside the larger civil war, which has killed over 112,000 people and ignited what the United Nations has labeled the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. The intensifying split in the south has also hobbled authorities’ response to the coronavirus pandemic and complicated attempts to jump-start a...
    By Mohammed Mukhashaf ADEN, June 21 (Reuters) – Southern separatists have seized control of Yemen’s island of Socotra in the Arabian Sea, deposing its governor and driving out forces of the Saudi-backed government which condemned the action as coup. The Southern Transitional Council (STC) declared self rule in the south in April, complicating U.N. efforts to forge a permanent ceasefire in a war that has separatists and the government fighting as nominal allies in a Saudi-led coalition against the Houthi group, who control the north. On Saturday, the STC announced it had seized government facilities and military bases on the main island of Socotra, a sparsely populated archipelago which sits at the mouth of the Gulf of Aden on one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes. The government which is led by President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi condemned the action as a “full-fledged” coup on the island and accused STC forces of attacking government buildings in “gang-style behaviour”. Socotra governor Ramzi Mahroos accused coalition leaders Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates of turning a blind eye. The UAE has previously...
    Aden (AFP) – Yemen’s southern separatists have seized control of the strategic island of Socotra, further undermining the government, which is battling to defeat the Huthi rebels firmly entrenched in the north. The island, located off the Horn of Africa about 350 kilometres (220 miles) from Yemen, lies close to important shipping routes, and with its unique flora and fauna, is sometimes referred to as “the Galapagos of the Indian Ocean”. It has largely been spared the violence that has ravaged mainland Yemen, where the government and a Saudi-led military coalition have been battling the Iran-backed Huthi rebels for more than five years. But in recent years, it has become a bone of contention in the anti-Huthi camp, to which both the Saudi-backed government and the separatists — trained by key coalition member United Arab Emirates — belong. The fall of Socotra on the weekend deepens the crisis between Southern Transitional Council (STC) and the government after the failure of a power-sharing deal in areas beyond the control of Huthi rebels, who hold the capital Sanaa and much of northern...
    SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Yemeni separatists funded by the United Arab Emirates on Saturday took control of military and police camps in Yemen’s Socotra archipelago, a UNESCO World Heritage site, security officials said. By day’s end the separatist militia had taken control of most of the remote province from forces of Yemen’s internationally recognized government. The secessionist Southern Transitional Council also arrested several military personnel and civilians opposed to the presence of UAE-funded militias on Socotra, the officials said. Those arrested included Brig. Abdel-Rahman al-Zafrani, commander of the air force in the province, they said. No causalities were reported, said the four security officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media. The militias who are part of the Southern Transitional Council were the on-the-ground allies of the United Arab Emirates, once Saudi Arabia’s main coalition partner in the years-long war against the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels. The STC raises the flag of the former communist state in the south and has pushed to again split the country in two, as it was from...
1