Sunday, Dec 04, 2022 - 08:09:54
1000 results - (0.005 seconds)

his players:

latest news at page 1:
    Andy Lyons/Getty Urban Meyer’s tenure in Jacksonville may be a thing of the past but his impact has certainly had lasting effects on the culture of the NFL as The Athletic released an article Monday morning outlining the toxic environment during Meyer’s reign. Interviewing a variety of personnel and players, the article detailed the scare tactics used in practices and locker rooms and how that contributed to an extremely hostile workspace. “You’ve got players in fear they’re going to lose their job,” former Jaguars wide receiver D.J. Chark said. “You’ve got coaches who he belittled in front of us. I’m surprised he lasted that long, to be honest with you.” Urban Meyer is a sick man https://t.co/Hyn9LMt7as — Will Compton (@_willcompton) March 21, 2022 Additionally, reports go as far to describe this bereavement of players and staff, instances where players were threatened with job loss, and even one where a player was left emotional from his exchange with the tyrant. “And do you know what would happen if I cut you guys? You couldn’t get a job paying more...
    NOTTINGHAM FOREST’S Steve Cooper is another phenomenon - a top football manager without any high-level playing experience. No doubt the Welshman, along with world-famous names such as Arsene Wenger, Sven-Goran Eriksson and Jose Mourinho, kicked the ball around for small clubs on pitches of mud or concrete - but not a lot more. 1Steve Cooper is out to end his boyhood club's Quadruple dream when Nottingham Forest face Liverpool in the FA CupCredit: Getty They owed their success as managers in fiercely competitive leagues to an intricate study of the game, to tactical skills unallied to success on the field, to motivation and to understanding what makes players tick as much as to kick. Cooper isn’t yet among the elite coaches named above. His record with Swansea and now at the club on the banks of the River Trent is very sound. Yet he still hasn’t escaped from the Championship, despite two play-offs with Swansea and a brief spell with Forest, who are keenly chasing a top-six place this season. To make tomorrow’s FA Cup quarter-final home tie with Liverpool...
    CHELSEA legend Frank Lampard has revealed his fears for Stamford Bridge staff facing job losses. The club’s all-time top scorer may have worries enough in trying to save Everton from relegation. 1Lampard is fearful for employees at ChelseaCredit: Getty But as the crisis around sanctioned owner Roman Abramovich deepens, he declared: “My focus has to be on Everton but I was a player there for 13 years and manager for a couple of years too. “So on a human level I care very much about those at Chelsea who might be losing their jobs. “It’s a tough moment for the club and for them and I care also about the supporters. “It’s a situation that is possibly difficult for the players and what might be happening to those who are maybe coming to their contract end.” But Lampard — who won three Prem titles and the Champions League at the Bridge — added: “There are much bigger things going on. “It’s maybe not about the players’ contracts and Chelsea, not when you look around the world and see what’s happening.” Most read...
    After years of attempting to buy their way into contention, the Chicago Bears prepare to enter free agency this week at the beginning stages of a franchise reboot. New general manager Ryan Poles struck an deal to trade pass rusher Khalil Mack to the Los Angeles Chargers last week. Wide receiver Allen Robinson is expected to sign with a new team when he reaches the open market, and nose tackle Eddie Goldman will be let go if the team cannot find a trade partner. Those are three of the highest-paid players from last season, and it signifies just the beginning of a long process and roster turnover. Poles doesn’t have a track record in free agency, so we don’t have a history of speculating what moves could be ahead. He has said he wants the organization to be draft-driven. So does every GM, and that’s precisely what his predecessor, Ryan Pace, declared when he was hired in 2015. The Bears have leaned heavily on free agency for a long time, and the results, save for the 12-4 season in 2018,...
    ROY KEANE snapped at Gary Neville after his former Manchester United team-mate hailed Sir Alex Ferguson's handling of big players. The Scot was renowned for his managing of big egos during his 26-year-old reign at Old Trafford, with the Fergie hairdryer being a tale of infamy. 3Gary Neville was a fan of how Sir Alex Ferguson used to handle egos at Manchester unitedCredit: AFP 3But former Red Devils skipper Roy Keane was quick to criticise his old gafferCredit: GETTY 3Neville and Keane clashed live on air over Fergie's man-managementCredit: SKY SPORTS Neville attributed Ferguson's control of the dressing to his 'success' on the pitch, but Keane - who fell out with his former gaffer in 2005 - interjected: "Yeah, but Gary, it doesn't mean to say he didn't make mistakes." “I didn’t say he didn’t," responded Neville. A fired-up Keane - who left United after his bust-up with Fergie - replied: “I know you didn’t but I just wanted to make that clear. “Everyone talks about ex-managers, saying, ‘they had power and control’ as if they never made mistakes. ...
    Being a former NBA player is currency when trying to transition into NBA coaching, and Jamahl Mosley didn’t have any. He was broke, by comparison, in more ways than one. Mosley played at Colorado for four years, but he wasn’t drafted nor did he ever suit up for an NBA team. His name didn’t resonate like Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups or Steve Nash — All-Stars with a combined one year of bench experience before they became head coaches. That’s not to say they didn’t earn their spots. It’s just that Mosley’s path was vastly different. Success requires sacrifice. “You’re doing whatever you can,” Mosley said of his first job in scouting/player development with the Denver Nuggets, where he worked 1½ seasons without a steady paycheck from 2005-07. “Taking [food] from the plane. I’d do little different things against the guys for money. There was a cold plunge in our locker room. One our guys bet me, ‘I bet you $500 you can’t stay under there for 30 seconds.’ I got $500. Those guys would do random things, but I always...
    ERIK TEN HAG is ready to become the new Manchester United manager, according to reports. And he may keep Ralf Rangnick in the dugout in a shock twist. 2Erik ten Hag has reportedly grown 'frustrated' at Ajax so could join Manchester UnitedCredit: Getty 2Ralf Rangnick could join the new manager in the dugout next seasonCredit: PA According to the Mirror, the Ajax manager has grown frustrated with life at the Amsterdam giants with top players constantly sold. The departure of Marc Overmars under a cloud after sending sexually explicit messages to female members of staff has not helped the situation. And with plenty of support from within Old Trafford, the Dutchman appears open to making the summer switch and lead the Red Devils rebuild. He said: "The lifespan of our team has always been short in recent years. Read more on Man UtdMan Utd news live Conte applauds hat-trick hero Ronaldo, Tom Brady's reaction - latest “I understood - and still understand - the sale of players. “But you can hardly cope with such bloodletting if you want...
    Being a former NBA player is currency when trying to transition into NBA coaching, and Jamahl Mosley didn’t have any. He was broke, by comparison, in more ways than one. Mosley played at Colorado for four years, but he wasn’t drafted nor did he ever suit up for an NBA team. His name didn’t resonate like Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups or Steve Nash — All-Stars with a combined one year of bench experience before they became head coaches. That’s not to say they didn’t earn their spots. It’s just that Mosley’s path was vastly different. Success requires sacrifice. “You’re doing whatever you can,” Mosley said of his first job in scouting/player development with the Denver Nuggets, where he worked 1 1/2 seasons without a steady paycheck from 2005-07. “Taking [food] from the plane. I’d do little different things against the guys for money. There was a cold plunge in our locker room. One our guys bet me, ‘I bet you $500 you can’t stay under there for 30 seconds.’ I got $500. Those guys would do random things, but I...
    Getty Bobby Wagner is not happy with the Seahawks. Breakups rarely come with happy endings as the Seattle Seahawks and Bobby Wagner are displaying with a very public divorce. The Seahawks released Wagner hours after trading away franchise quarterback Russell Wilson. Despite posting a tribute video and inviting fans to write Wagner thank you letters, there appears to be a different story behind the scenes. Wagner took to Twitter to break his silence about his release and revealed the Seahawks did not inform him he had been cut before the move became breaking news. “Crazy part about all this. I played there for 10 years & I didn’t even hear it from them that I wasn’t coming back,” Wagner tweeted on March 12. Read More From Heavy How You Can Help Ukraine: Verified Charities, GoFundMe & Ways to Support Ukrainians While there are always two sides to every story, it is hard not to take Wagner at his word. The star linebacker is giving fans a glimpse of what can be a brutal business, even...
    If there was a common theme to be grasped from NFL draft prospects’ takeaways from meeting with the Miami Dolphins at the scouting combine last week, it was how much they simply enjoyed speaking with new coach Mike McDaniel and his coaching staff. If a prospect Miami is linked to was asked to list teams he has met with, the Dolphins were among the first mentioned. If asked how conversations with the Dolphins went, several players lit up, making it apparent they would love to get drafted by Miami. “Hopefully they like me,” said Texas A&M running back Isaiah Spiller during his combine media interview. It seems to be a point of emphasis for McDaniel. He already doesn’t have your typical look for an NFL head coach. He’s also bringing his unique, amicable approach to communicating with players. In an era where the notion of empowering athletes is reaching a new peak, McDaniel appears to be taking a lead in this regard in his first offseason as a head coach. Interestingly, he has used the same “empower” word multiple times...
    PUT aside a slightly flawed defensive showing, Sunday's 3-2 Premier League win at Watford was at times as fluid and exciting an attacking display as Arsenal have produced under Mikel Arteta. There was so much to be happy about, not least that it lifted the Gunners to fourth - with three, yes, THREE games, in hand on West Ham and Manchester United just below them. 2Marrtin Odegaard's link-up with Bukayo Saka has become an awesome weaponCredit: Reuters 2Dennis Bergkamp's partnership with wideman Freddie Ljungberg topped the list for Arsenal fans and can be directly compared to Odegaard-SakaCredit: AFP However, even with Alexandre Lacazette’s link play at its very best, Martinelli back in the goals, and the very nature of all three goals, it was the sensational quality of the developing partnership between Bukayo Saka and Martin Odegaard that left the deepest impressio. Watford are not the best defensive unit, far from it. But I am not sure the best could have lived with the on-field chemistry, imagination and sheer brilliance of the interplay between the best right-sided attacking English player,...
    SIR ALEX FERGUSON was noisily harassed by a Manchester City fan as he left the Etihad Stadium on Sunday. The Manchester United icon was in the stands to watch his former side take a 4-1 hiding from the team he once called 'noisy neighbours'. Sir Alex Ferguson leaving the Etihad this evening… pic.twitter.com/TnrQuGs7KH— Away Day Bible (@AwayDayBible) March 6, 2022 1Ferguson was in the stands at the Etihad on SundayCredit: Getty One City fan though took things too far as he repeatedly shouted in the 80-year-olds face while he tried make his way out of the stadium. They berated him with cries of: "Never in my lifetime! City, City, City," right in Fergie's face. The fan was of course referencing Ferguson's words about the blue side of Manchester from back in 2009. When Ferguson was asked in a press conference if United would ever go into the Manchester derby as underdogs, he cheekily replied: "What time is it? "I think it's time for me to leave... not in my lifetime." The harrying of Ferguson at full time...
    I CAN imagine it is really horrible to be the manager of Chelsea at the moment. I genuinely felt sorry for Thomas Tuchel when I saw him answer question after question on Roman Abramovich and the club’s future. 6Thomas Tuchel needs a break from all the questions about Roman Abramovich and RussiaCredit: GETTY 6The German met his boss for the first time after Chelsea's Champions League triumph over Manchester City last seasonCredit: GETTY 6Chelsea lost last weekend's Carabao Cup final on penalties to LiverpoolCredit: REX FEATURES Tuchel is the boss. Russia’s conflict with Ukraine is a huge talking point around the globe. He is the one of the few people who can be questioned on it on a weekly basis. But like most of us, he doesn’t have all the answers and doesn’t always know what to say. Just give him a break. It is also unfair to be asking players about it. As a player, the hardest thing is how you get the balance right. Everyone will have their opinion on it. Some people will say good things some...
    NICOLAS ANELKA has paid a fulsome tribute to Roman Abramovich following the Russian's decision to sell Chelsea. The Blues have won 21 trophies since the billionaire took charge at Stamford Bridge in 2003. 2Roman Abramovich confirmed on Wednesday that he is putting Chelsea up for saleCredit: AFP They paid Bolton £15million for France striker Anelka, 42, in 2008. He went on to score 59 goals in 184 appearances, helping the west Londoners win the Premier League and two FA Cups. The now-retired frontman claimed Abramovich's input has benefited all of English football, and hailed the Russian's low-key approach at Chelsea. Anelka has also played for Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City and West Brom, and his other clubs include Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid. French broadcaster RMC quizzed him about Abramovich's decision following the businessman's announcement he is selling up on Wednesday. The 69-cap international said: "I'm very sad about it. When he arrived at Chelsea they were fourth or fifth in the Premier League. Most read in SportBIG NAIJA Meet Abiodun Adegoke, the 7ft9 NBA hopeful with size 53 feet championed...
    THOMAS TUCHEL says Roman Abramovich is making the ‘right decision’ to sell Chelsea. But the Blues boss insists the Russian’s exit will NOT affect his squad. 1Thomas Tuchel believes Roman Abramovich is making the right decision to sell ChelseaCredit: Getty Abramovich confirmed on Wednesday that he was selling up after a trophy-laden 19 years at Stamford Bridge. The billionaire also revealed he would be writing off the £1.5billion debt Chelsea owed him. And Abramovich added all net profit from the sale would be donated to victims of the war in Ukraine. The announcement came just hours before Chelsea’s 3-2 FA Cup win over Luton Town. The Blues looked shaky as they were forced to come from behind, with Abramovich’s statement still fresh. However, Tuchel believes his players were not - and will not be - affected by it. Most read in Premier LeagueWAR READY US puts on huge show of force with dozens of fighter jets as Biden warns PutinVLAD’S TANKING Demoralised and ‘CRYING’ Russians ‘surrendering without a fight’ in UkraineSPACE HACK ATTACK Hackers Anonymous claim they have shut down...
    Getty Bears offensive lineman Teven Jenkins readies to block against the Minnesota Vikings. Ryan Poles is ready to transform the offensive line of the Chicago Bears — and the entire roster — in more ways than one. The team’s new general manager spoke with the media at the NFL scouting combine, and had some revealing things to say about what members of his squad can expect. Poles played offensive line at Boston College for four years, where he blocked for current Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan before landing with the Bears as an undrafted free agent for a brief period of time in 2008. Now, one of his primary goals is transforming the team’s offensive line while also taking strength and conditioning to the next level. The Bears have added Jim Arthur, who has over 20 years of experience working in the NFL, as their new head strength and conditioning coach. A disciple of well-respected strength coach Rusty Jones, Arthur was with the Bears from 2005-15, and held the same role from 2008-14. Based on what Poles said...
    Dada 5000 sends out an offer to Tampa Bay Rays and Miami Marlins players to join his bare-knuckle boxing promotion with the MLB lockout ongoing. There was a glimmer of hope that the MLB lockout would end after lengthy talks on Monday resulting in the deadline to start the season on time to Tuesday. But, both sides were still far apart on topics, resulting in the lockout extending and the first two series of the 2022 season being canceled. Dada 5000, founder of the BYB Extreme Bare Knuckle Fighting Series, issued an invitation to players on the Tampa Bay Rays and Miami Marlins to train with his company and the opportunity to earn a contract. “Born and bred in the backyards of South Florida, BYB is all about creating opportunity and a physical and emotional outlet for athletes of all stripes,” said Dada 5000 in a press release. “And while Rob Manfred doesn’t appreciate the talents and commitment of some of the most talented athletes in the world, BYB is happy to welcome them with open arms. “Bare knuckle boxing,...
    From the day he was announced as the new Chicago Bears coach, Matt Eberflus began singing a popular hymn that will resonate in a passionate football city that loves to rally behind swarming defenses. Takeaways, Eberflus noted, must become the calling card for a unit he promises will establish itself through effort, intensity and situational intelligence. He wants his defensive players to turn the dial of their takeaway focus past “MAXIMUM” and all the way to “FANATICAL.” It should become an undying obsession, Eberflus believes. For everyone. Every single day. “It’s all about the ball,” Eberflus said at his introductory news conference in January. “That’s the most important thing for winning and losing — taking the ball away (on defense) and protecting the football (on offense).” Here’s where we pause for a simple acknowledgment. Of course takeaways are important. Every defensive coach in the league has similar ambitions and comparable visions for producing them. Yet so many teams — whether because of a lack of talent or a flawed system or broken processes — fail to match their rhetoric with...
    American professional basketball players competing in Russia during the WNBA offseason are scrambling to return to the United States following Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine. As several player agents told ESPN, many WNBA players in the Russian Women's Basketball Premier League are making plans to leave the country for the US due to safety concerns.  The problem, as one agent explained, is finding plane tickets. While Canada and much of Europe have moved to restrict Russian planes from their air spaces, the Kremlin has responded by banning flights from 36 countries. 'For me, it's way past ''considering'' leaving,' longtime agent Mike Cound told ESPN. 'I've been on the phone with two players in the past few minutes working out flights. It's really urgent now in terms of there being a dwindling number of flights leaving Russia, and they are going to be hard to get real soon. 'They are probably fine if they stay put, but if things get worse, that may not be the case. My idea is, ''Get them out now if we can.'' And if we can't, we get...
    There was a surprise defeat for Novak Djokovic in the Dubai quarter-finals this week, but in many ways he emerged a winner. The outlook may be brighter for the unvaccinated superstar than it first appears after a week in which he lost to the world No 121, and forfeited the top place in the rankings. So much so that the current odds of evens on him winning Wimbledon this summer do not look unwarranted, even though he was nowhere to be seen in Saturday night's final between Andrey Rublev and his conqueror, Jiri Vesely - with the former winning 6-3 6-4. Novak Djokovic emerged a winner, despite his quarter-finals defeat in the Dubai quarter-finals Djokovic forfeited the top place in the rankings, but remains a favourite for Wimbledon RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next 'I feel liberated... it's incredible energy!': Rafael Nadal... Novak Djokovic will LOSE his world No 1 status next week... Novak Djokovic, who was disqualified for striking a line... Novak Djokovic cruises into the quarter-finals in Dubai in... Share...
    ANTONIO CONTE does not care if his comments upset Spurs or his stars. The Tottenham boss questioned his club, squad and even his own future in a sensational rant straight after their 1-0 defeat at Burnley on Wednesday. 1Antonio Conte insists he will not hide away from speaking the truth at TottenhamCredit: Getty Asked if he risked upsetting his players, he said: “Why? Because I tell the truth? If you tell the truth, you destabilise? “My family always said to me: With the truth you grow, with a lie you destabilise people. “With the truth, you grow and do not destabilise the club or the players. If I destabilise someone, he is not a good man and this is not a good club. “I want a strong club, strong men, strong players. The truth is the only way I know to grow.” Conte’s comments suggested he was on the verge of leaving his job. When asked yesterday if he could guarantee he would not quit Spurs before the end of the season, he said: “I think that in this moment...
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — The commercial slogan associated with Phil Mickelson for years is never more true than it is now, minus the anticipation of something extraordinary. What will Phil do next? Whether his true intentions were chasing Saudi Arabian money or gaining more control over how he thinks the PGA Tour should be run, Mickelson has been exposed for manipulating people to get what he wants. Once seen as leading the charge of players poised to join a breakaway Saudi golf league, Lefty is now on his own among those with real influence. Dustin Johnson declared his support for the PGA Tour on Sunday, and Bryson DeChambeau quickly tagged along by default. None of the top 12 players in the world — and that doesn’t include Brooks Koepka and Jordan Spieth — have indicated any interest. What’s the point of joining a league that doesn’t have A-list players? “I’m sure he’s sitting at home sort of rethinking his position and where he goes from here,” Rory McIlroy said. For Mickelson, it’s not as easy this time as a...
    Former President Trump has told confidants that his two Scottish golf courses and his Los Angeles club are part of talks to host the controversial Saudi golf league. It emerged at the weekend that his company was angling to bring events at his Doral course in Florida and Bedminster course in New Jersey. But since then plans for a new tour have been dealt a major blow, as a number of key players - including occasional Trump golfing partner Dustin Johnson - announced they would not be involved.  A source familiar with discussions said that Trump's two Scottish courses, Turnberry and Trump International Golf Links, are both part of the Trump Organization's plans to land lucrative deals if the Saudi-backed venture gets off the ground. Attracting a major new event to Turnberry would be something of a coup for Trump. Last year, the Royal and Ancient Club of St Andrews, which stages the Open Championship in Great Britain, said it was removing the Trump course from its venue rotation after the president's supporters stormed the US Capitol.  The Trump Organization is...
    MEDFORD, N.J. (CBS) — This Black History Month, Eyewitness News is introducing you to unsung heroes in our community. A South Jersey man is keeping Black history alive by preserving the legacy of his own family. Meet unsung hero Samuel C. Still III. READ MORE: Suspect In Custody After Food Delivery Driver Shot On Busy Center City Street Over Parking Dispute, Police SayThousands of South Jerseyans have learned the story of Dr. James Still, the Black Doctor of the Pines, to the delight of Samuel C. Still III, his second great grand-nephew. “There’s more than just basketball players and football players or professional sports players that our children need to idolize,” he said. Dr. James Still was born in 1812, the son of formerly enslaved people. As a young man, James became fascinated with the medicinal power of plants. He moved to Medford, becoming a prominent self-taught physician and one of Burlington County’s wealthiest men. “People would come from all over — from Philadelphia, New York, all parts of New Jersey — to come see him. He treated Black, white,...
    The respect for Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay continues to grow. It’s not just because the Rams beat the Cincinnati Bengals, 23-20, to win Super Bowl 56 Sunday night, but the way he handled his team throughout the season and playoffs was admirable. Critics will say McVay, 36, should have won a title because owner Stan Kroenke traded away their most important draft capital to bring in superstar talents like quarterback Matthew Stafford, outside linebacker Von Miller, receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and cornerback Jalen Ramsey, but there’s a history of teams doing this and failing miserably. McVay brought in a disruptive personality like Beckham and still got significant production out of him, which shows he can reach a player’s soul. Earlier in the year it seemed like only a matter of time before the Rams imploded — they went 0-3 in November — but they never did. Instead, their star players always came through in crunch time. It happened here in Baltimore on Jan. 2 when the Rams pulled out a 20-19 victory, and again...
    INTER MILAN have been blasted by Dean Ashton for allowing Stefan de Vrij continue to play on against Liverpool after suffering a head injury. The 30-year-old defender needed treatment on the half hour mark as the Serie A side suffered a 2-0 home defeat to the Reds in the first leg of the last-16 Champions League clash. 2Inter Milan have come under fire for letting Stefan de Vrij play on after a head injuryCredit: BT Sport 2The defender needed treatment after the blow and then went down again but still appeared after half timeCredit: Getty De Vrij was treated with an ice bag on his head but was soon ushered back onto the pitch by manager Simeone Inzaghi. The player, who went through several checks with Inter’s medical team, was also keen to continue. But the star also hit the deck again before the break but was allowed to continue after the restart. The Dutchman was eventually replaced in the second period, but former West Ham striker Ashton blasted the decision to let him play on. On commentary for talkSPORT,...
    Prince Harry made the most of his Los Angeles star power to get his hands on the Super Bowl trophy in the Rams' locker room on Sunday as he rubbed shoulders with their billionaire owner. The Duke of Sussex, who watched the game in the stands with his cousin Princess Eugenie, stripped off his mask as he congratulated the players and coaches after their victory, but it appears not all of them were too bothered by the royal visit. Photos shared on the Rams' social media showed players staring at their phones and looking around the room while Harry inspected the trophy alongside Stan Kroenke, who is worth an estimated $10.7billion. LA Rams shared the images with the caption: 'Feelin' like royalty.' During the game, Harry had been wearing a black face mask as he cheered on his new home team for their second championship title. But upon heading inside to hobnob with the stars and players, Harry took off his mask, despite LA County rules insisting that face coverings be worn by everyone regardless of vaccination status in all...
    Novak Djokovic has always been closely in touch with his inner martyr. Forever less popular than his great rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, there remains something of the outsider and underdog about him when it comes to their extraordinary battle for the most Grand Slam titles. Now the 34-year-old Serb is prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice in tennis terms, potentially giving up what remains of his chances to add to his tally of 20 majors. If Djokovic is to be excluded from many tournaments for the foreseeable future — and a lot could yet change — this is a strange hill for his hopes to die on. Most tennis players have now accepted, some albeit reluctantly, that they and their sport are best served by taking a vaccine that has saved countless lives. Novak Djokovic's stubbornness has often got him over the line in tight matches on the court But his vaccine refusal is a strange hill to die on while battling Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next John...
    DJED SPENCE is in line for an England Under-21 call-up following his sensational displays on loan at Nottingham Forest. The right-back, who is being targeted by Premier League sides, impressed in Forest’s eye-catching FA Cup victories over Arsenal and Leicester. 1Djed Spence, on loan at Forest from Championship rivals Middlesbrough, is close to England U-21 recognition despite Jamaica's interestCredit: Rex SunSport understands the Young Lions have watched Spence, 21, regularly of late. He has a good chance of a call-up next month for the Under-21 Euro qualifiers against Andorra at Bournemouth’s Vitality Stadium on March 25 and away to Albania four days later. Spence, who has been farmed out by Middlesbrough, is also eligible for Jamaica who are keen for him to represent them internationally, too. The former Fulham academy product became a target for Arsenal after his stunning performance in Forest’s 1-0 win over the Gunners in FA Cup third round last month. That display had Arsenal hero Ian Wright waxing lyrical, with the pundit commenting that he had not seen “a combative, technical, swashbuckling performance like that for...
    TOTTENHAM gaffer Antonio Conte has bizarrely claimed that the 2-0 defeat to Wolves was 'one of the best games' of his reign so far. Spurs succumbed to a third consecutive Premier League loss after once again being outclassed in North London. 2Antonio Conte's Tottenham have lost their last three Premier League games in a rowCredit: Reuters They are now in real danger of not only missing out on the top four, but any European competition for next season. The loss leaves them in eighth spot after Wolves leapfrogged Tottenham into seventh place. And Conte has conceded that his side are not even good enough for the EUROPA LEAGUE following the disappointing defeat. Though he declared that he was happy with the performance after creating so many chances having had 17 shots on goal. Speaking to Sky Sports, he said: "It is very difficult today, at the end it was one of the best games we played, we created many chances to score and we had the possession. "But for sure it is very difficult to explain the way we started...
    Alan Williams’ NFL roots are with the 2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers and one of the great influences on coach Matt Eberflus has been Rod Marinelli, whose career also began in the Tampa-2. So it’s fair to assume the Chicago Bears will be returning to a version of what they had success with during the Lovie Smith era. But Williams, the new defensive coordinator, made it clear he wants to mesh what he’s doing schematically and from a play-calling sense with the skills of his personnel. Actions will say more than words when it comes to that, but Williams in an introductory video conference call Thursday morning did not come across as a coach that is going to be rigid in his ways. What is nonnegotiable is relentless hustle that Williams believes will lead to takeaways for a defense that hasn’t gotten enough the last three seasons. From there? “The true stamp is going to be to allow the players to do what they do well,” he said. “I may come in here and say I love...
    MANCHESTER UNITED have always been regarded as one of the few clubs in Europe to develop and nurture talented players and take them to the next level. This was witnessed season after season during the Sir Alex Ferguson era, someone who won every title and trophy he took part in but knew the foundation of the football club was to give youth a chance and help players reach the potential they showed daily in training. 1Man Utd are in danger of wasting Jadon Sancho's potential, just like Paul Pogba and Anthony MartialCredit: Getty However, things have changed at Old Trafford since the retirement of one of the greatest managers of all time. United have seen gifted individuals come through the youth academy as well as exciting and promising signings from Europe but have failed to provide the much-needed assistance and the perfect environment for them to play to their actual strengths and improve on their weaknesses.  The two players that are great examples of this are Anthony Martial and Paul Pogba, who both had a great start to their Manchester...
    CHICAGO (CBS) — The Illini’s Orange Krush student section already showing love for prep star Ty Rodgers. One of the most highly recruited players in the country, Rodgers grew up in Michigan but is spending his senior year in Illinois before taking his talents downstate. READ MORE: Tacarre Harper, Alleged Leader Of Smash And Grab' Burglars That Targeted Stores On Mag Mile And Around City, Arrested And ChargedCBS 2’s Jackie Kostek takes us to Thornton High School in Harvey for Rodgers story. “Jordan Brand Classic, me being in the race for Mr. Basketball.” Ty Rodgers has a lot left to chase before closing out his high school career. Ranked in the top 100 players in the country, the 6’6″ forward and reigning Michigan Player of the Year is a self-described pit bull on the court. “I’m always going to try to win the game, do whatever it takes to win, whatever my coach needs me to do,” Rodgers said. READ MORE: Disabled Veterans Join In Special Winter Sports Event In McKinley ParkRodgers, spending his final AAU and high school seasons...
    MANCHESTER UNITED legend Roy Keane he drank ‘six or seven’ pints the night before his Nottingham Forest debut more than thirty years ago. But the former midfield hardman claims it was just a ‘quiet night’. 3 Roy Keane revealed he drank six or seven pints the night before his Forest debut 3 Roy Keane played over 150 times in three years at ForestCredit: Getty - Contributor Having only just signed from semi-professional football in Ireland, the teenage midfielder was getting used to reserve football when the iconic Brian Clough gave him the call-up in 1990. Speaking on Monday Night Football back in 2019, Keane recalled: "I went over pre-season and was obviously doing a lot of training with the reserves. "Forest had played their first league game at home on the Saturday against QPR and I went to watch it, and I was on the bench for the reserves on the Monday night. "I got on for the last ten minutes and the first team were playing Liverpool on the Tuesday night. "Went out that night with the players, as...
    Phil Mickelson's career earnings on the PGA Tour stand at just under $100million (£74m). His tour pension pot must be worth at least $200m (£147m).  The sponsorship money that has flowed his way, mostly due to the air-time he gets owing to the reverence the PGA Tour commands in the boardrooms of corporate America, is estimated at $500m (£368m). Bear that in mind when taking in an extraordinary interview the 50-year-old leftie has just given to Golf Digest, whilst playing in the Saudi International. Six-time major champion Phil Mickelson has hit out at the PGA Tour's 'obnoxious greed'  The PGA Championship winner has reportedly made a staggering $800m in career earnings RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next DEREK LAWRENSON: The Saudis are luring golf's leading stars... Ian Poulter is offered up to £22MILLION to join the new... DEREK LAWRENSON: Marmite Man Tyrrell Hatton gets up people's... EXCLUSIVE: Bryson DeChambeau is offered a staggering... Share this article Share In it he rants about the 'obnoxious greed' of the PGA Tour in not allowing...
    Getty Matt Eberflus told his new players to go get their track shoes. New Chicago Bears head coach Matt Eberflus met with the media  on January 31 for the first time since his hire, and he laid out his plan for turning the team around. The Bears finished third in the NFC North with a 6-11 record in 2021, and they have managed just three winning seasons since 2008. Eberflus is the 17th head coach in Bears’ history, and the fourth coach to lead the team since Lovie Smith was fired in 2012. According to The Football Database, Chicago finished with the 12th-most penalties (106) in the league. Eberflus, who led the Colts defense last season, was part of an Indianapolis team that was fourth-least penalized team in the league (76). His defense was tied for fewest defensive holding penalties in the NFL (3), and the Colts were the only team that didn’t jump offsides last year — not once in 17 games. In his introductory presser, penalties and discipline were some of the first things Eberflus mentioned when discussing...
    Getty Frank Vogel during his introductory press conference in May 2020. The Lakers came into this season with championship aspirations. After dealing a trio of key rotation players of Montrezl Harrell, Kyle Kuzma, and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, the Lakers netted superstar Russell Westbrook. The thought was to alleviate the workload on LeBron James, and give James a second ball handler, something he has wanted for a while. The season is just past the midway mark, and the Lakers find themselves 22-22, sitting seventh in the Western Conference. To say the Lakers are failing this season would be an understatement. Despite a huge win against the top-rated offensive juggernauts Utah Jazz, the Athletic’s Sam Amick and Bill Oram report that coach Frank Vogel is in serious jeopardy of losing his job. Vogel, who coached the Lakers to a championship in 2020 and whose contract runs through the 2022-23 campaign, is being evaluated on a game-to-game basis and remains at risk of being fired soon if the progress doesn’t continue, sources said.Treatment of Vogel Over His Lakers’ TenureIt likely isn’t fair...
    Long before he represented Tom Brady, Bryant Young, Sean Payton and Jimmy Garoppolo, Don Yee considered a career in journalism. Changing course was the right choice. Yee became one of sports’ most influential agents. Yee was a producer for a sports radio show in California after high school and covered Magic Johnson’s rookie season with the Los Angeles Lakers as a student at UCLA. He learned plenty about the business in a short time at a young age. “Those experiences were really valuable for me because I got to experience a little bit trying to cover sports from the side of the media and all the difficulties that entails,” Yee said on the AP Pro Football Podcast. “It’s really served me well in my career because now, obviously, I deal with the media quite frequently and it’s made me very empathetic also to the pressures that reporters, columnists, editors, producers, everybody in the food chain that works hard to deliver product every day. I’m very sensitive to that.” Like everyone else, Yee doesn’t know what Brady will...
    ERLING HAALAND snubbed Cristiano Ronaldo as he named his best three players in the world. And Lionel Messi was not his No1 choice, either. 3Erling Haaland was asked who his best players in the world would be right nowCredit: AFP 3Cristiano Ronaldo did not even make Haaland's top threeCredit: AFP The Borussia Dortmund striker, 21, was quizzed on who he would pick as the top performers over the last year. Haaland had no doubts over who would take his first spot. He told Sky Sports: "That's a good question. "In the last year, I think you have to say Robert Lewandowski. Yes, Lewandowski No1. "And then for me, Karim Benzema has also been amazing. "But also Lionel Messi is outstanding so Benzema and Messi share second and third place." Most read in Premier LeagueUNITED LATEST Cristiano Ronaldo 'asks for Real Madrid return', Palhinha targetedTRANSFERS LIVE Wijnaldum 'keen on Prem return', Luis Diaz LATEST, Bruno Guimaraes MEDICALGunners news Arthur Melo £40m loan-to-buy, Osimhen £60m Aubameyang replacementLIVERPOOL TRANSFER NEWS £14m Brazilian targeted, Sadio Mane gets concussion then...
    GARETH SOUTHGATE is desperate for England to be a smash hit at the World Cup later this year. The Three Lions reached the Euro 2020 final with Sweet Caroline providing the soundtrack to the tournament. 4Southgate has guided England to a World Cup semi-final and a Euros finalCredit: REUTERS 4Southgate is desperate for England to be a smash hit at the World CupCredit: ALAMY But England boss Southgate admits his own singing isn’t up to scratch after opening up on his musical taste. Southgate said: “I don’t get asked to do karaoke, although I have to say, I was in a restaurant a couple of months ago. “Sometimes people come up and ask for pictures...I saw a lady walking across and she said, ‘I hope you don’t mind, there is a wedding party downstairs, and we were wondering if you could come and sing Sweet Caroline.’ “And I said, look that just won’t be happening tonight, so she wasn’t very happy with me, but I think the rest of the group got away with a near miss frankly.” Southgate’s personal...
    A SAO PAULO fan invaded the pitch with a KNIFE before being wrestled off the field by a heroic star playing for his own team on Saturday night. The crazed supporter ran onto the grass during his side's Under-20s 1-0 defeat to Palmeiras at the Arena Barueri in Sao Paulo and the ref was seen holding the lethal weapon aloft just seconds later. Invadiram o gramado da Arena Barueri. Aí a TV mostra UMA FACA na mão do árbitro. Sem palavras. Só vejam... #Copinha2022 pic.twitter.com/fq8zdNjBIg— Goleada Info (@goleada_info) January 23, 2022 The game was deep into second-half stoppage time when trouble started to spill onto the field. Palmeiras were leading the São Paulo Junior Football Cup semi-final as a man jumped the barriers in the stands and made his way towards the players. There was a confrontation with some of the Palmeiras team before several Sao Paulo stars intervened. And then another Sao Paulo supporter came from the corner of the stadium and the No 9 from his own team was seen furiously gesturing at him to stop. The...
    NICK KYRGIOS has alleged he was challenged to a FIGHT in the Australian Open players’ locker room. Aussie pair Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkinakis stunned the world No.1 pairing of Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic 7-6 6-3 in the second round of the men’s doubles comp on Friday evening. 3Nick Kyrgios reacts during his heated mens doubles matchCredit: Getty 3Nick Kyrgios talks tactics with doubles partner Thanasi KokkinakisCredit: Getty After the match, Kyrgios claims it got heated backstage as the coach of the defeated Croatians turned irate. Kyrgios, 26, laughed off the incident and said on Twitter: “Just letting you know after yesterday’s (Friday’s) chop fest in doubles, my opponents coach and trainer proceeded to threaten to fight in the players gym. “Tennis is a soft, soft sport. All because I moved and hit them with a tennis ball.” Split star Pavic, 28, called on crowds at the Oz Open to be more respectful after incidents of non-Aussies being targetted for abuse and catcalls. He said: “They are pretty loud. Obviously they cheer for Aussies. It wouldn’t hurt them to show...
    Super agent Scott Boras made waves when he signed Carlos Correa, but he also added Reds rookie star Jonathan India to his client list as well. Scott Boras collects star baseball players like Ash Ketchum collects Pokemon. He’s gotta catch them all. Already Boras boosted his client list this year by picking up top free agent Carlos Correa and White Sox pitcher Dylan Cease. Now he’s apparently added another star to his lineup. Jonathan India signed with Scott Boras along with Carlos CorreaReds second baseman Jonathan India became the lastest MLB award-winner to sign on with Boras, according to Ken Rosenthal on Twitter. India was the NL Rookie of the Year after a breakout first season in Cincinnati. He batted .269/.376/.459 with 21 home runs. Defensively he was excellent, leading the NL in putouts. He was second in the league in double plays turned. Now he’ll have Boras running the show for him behind the scenes, which could net him a hefty payday when the time comes for his latest contract negotiations. India joins the stable of high profile Boras...
    BRYAN ROBSON knows what it is like to manage a squad ravaged by a virus — and he is still bitter that his Middlesbrough team were relegated as a result. Now the former England and Manchester United skipper has questioned if Covid is being used as an excuse for Premier League clubs to call off games without punishment. 3Bryan Robson has called for firmer postponement rules after his Middesbrough were given no allowances in 1996Credit: Rex 3Robson's Boro were deducted three points after failing to play a game againt Blackburn amid a flu outbreakCredit: PA It was 25 years ago as manager of Boro that Robson’s squad was also decimated by illness, in this case flu. He could not put a team together and Boro believed they had been given permission to postpone their game with Blackburn. But in the end they were still docked three points for not turning up at Ewood Park and were even called a “Sunday League team” by Rovers caretaker manager Tony Parkes. Insult was added to injury as Boro went on to suffer the...
    ANTI-vaxxer Novak Djokovic's Covid stance could ruin his career as he faces being banned from the French Open. The French health ministry has announced vaccine passes will be required for visiting athletes for upcoming events. 5Novak Djokovic was spotted in Melbourne Airport after his visa to play in the Australian Open was cancelledCredit: Reuters 5Djokovic seen leaving the Park Hotel government detention facility before attending his court hearingCredit: EPA If the rule remains in place until May, the Serbian tennis player will lose his chance at taking out his 21st Grand Slam win. The vaccine pass law will require people to have a certificate to visit public places. The French health ministry said: "The rule is simple. The vaccine pass will be imposed, as soon as the law is promulgated, in establishments that were already subject to the health pass," "This will apply to everyone who is a spectator or a professional sportsperson. And this until further notice. The rule change was approved by parliament on Sunday and specifically referenced that in regards to...
    WATCHING Jose Mourinho’s career nosedive has become a source of fascination for anyone with a taste for a fall of the mighty. Some will say he had it coming, though. 3Jose Mourinho seems to be struggling in his spell with Roma From the day his second spell was ended at Stamford Bridge in 2015 — as good humour turned into sarcasm — the slide towards mediocrity began. Now he is coach at Roma and he seems to be on the same agonised journey he endured with Manchester United and Spurs. There have been many theories about why his magic — and his charm — ran out. I wouldn’t dare to supply mine, except to say that any manager who publicly holds up one or several of his players to personal ridicule is going to pay for it in points. And reputation. Even in the relatively short time since he first managed at Benfica, player attitudes have changed. In those 21 years, they have become much richer and more aware of their own power. 3Mourinho brought so much success to the...
    NOVAK DJOKOVIC has been accused of “playing by his own rules” and putting the Australian Open “at risk” because he remains unvaccinated. World No 4 Stefanos Tsitsipas broke ranks in the locker room by criticising the defending champion ahead of the start of the tournament on Monday. 2Novak Djokovic is still facing the prospect of deportation from Australia despite winning an appealCredit: Getty The Greek, 23, said: “He’s been playing by his own rules and has been doing what not many players had the guts to do. “Especially after the ATP announced certain criteria for players to enter the country. “No one really thought they could come to Australia unvaccinated and not have to follow the protocols. “It takes a lot of daring to do and is putting the Grand Slam at risk, which I don’t think many players would do.” Djokovic was drawn against fellow Serbian Miomir Kecmanovic in the first round of the Aussie Open. The 34-year-old is trying to win Slam No 21 and overtake the record tally he currently shares with rivals Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal. FREE...