Web Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wednesday, Dec 07, 2022 - 21:13:59
123 results - (0.009 seconds)

it turns out:

latest news at page 1:
    Former Vice President Joe Biden said during an ABC town hall on Thursday night that his decision on whether to pack the Supreme Court with additional justices if he became president would depend on how the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett “turns out.” “I have not been a fan of court packing because I think it just generates what will happen for whoever wins; it just keeps moving in a way that is inconsistent with what is going to be manageable,” Biden. “So, you’re still not a fan?” ABC town hall host George Stephanopoulos asked Biden. “Well, I’m not a fan, it depends on how this turns out, not how he wins, but how it’s handled,” Biden said about the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice nominee Judge Amy Coney Barrett. “So, if they vote on it before the election?” Stephanopoulos asked Biden. “I am open to considering what happens from that point on,” Biden said. Biden’s openness to packing the Supreme Court with additional justices marks a stark contrast from his 2005 comments, in which...
    CHICAGO (CBS) — A South Side woman said she gave a man $30,000 to build her nail salon – and yet a year later, the job is not even close to complete. CBS 2’s Tim McNicholas discovered the contractor is not even properly registered with the state. “What you should be seeing by now is the floors done, the plumbing done,” said Cherry Washington. Washington is a woman with a dream. “All the manicure tables would have been on this side,” she said as she showed McNicholas the space. There were contractors working on building Washington a small nail salon at 54th Street and Harlem Avenue when she talked to McNicholas. But those contractors were not the team she originally hired – they were replacements. They came in after the original contractor fell short of his promises. “When I tell you it’s been many a days that I cried, I did,” Washington said. “Many a days that I prayed for him, I did.” In October 2019, Washington hired Derek Covington and Renewable Energy Concepts, who said the whole job would...
    Anti-virus pioneer John McAfee was an eccentric when we first featured him in the 2012 article "The Hot Yoga War" and a separate Q&A in which he talked about his life in Belize — where, it turns out, he was wanted for questioning in a murder he swore he didn't commit. In the intervening eight years, he's been many things, including a fugitive from justice and a failed presidential candidate. But now, the role he's playing is inmate: This week, McAfee was arrested in Spain on federal charges, including violation of antifraud provisions and tax evasion. He'll likely have a tough time fighting the latter accusation, given that, according to the BBC, McAfee "has previously expressed his disdain for taxes, tweeting last year that he hadn't filed tax returns for eight years because 'taxation is illegal.'"Related Stories John McAfee: Security Pioneer and Ex-Fugitive's Denver Ties, Presidential Bid John McAfee, software pioneer turned fugitive: I faked being crazy and ill to escape to U.S. John McAfee still a fugitive despite new blog, Joe Rogan and Alex Jones appearances "The Hot...
    The Cincinnati Reds will have nightmares about Max Fried and Ian Anderson for a while. The Cincinnati Reds were nobody’s nightmare, but got spooked by Max Fried and Ian Anderson. Not even a week after Reds first baseman Joey Votto proclaimed to the world his team was “a f*****g nightmare”, Cincinnati is out of the postseason after being unable to score a run in two games vs. the Atlanta Braves. As it turns out, the shoe was on the other foot. Fried and Anderson gave Reds hitters a combined 13 innings of nothing but nightmare fuel for the offseason. “I think we’re a fucking nightmare. And I think everybody knows that.” Joey Votto is a legend. pic.twitter.com/FFlmokLFgp — Jared Carrabis (@Jared_Carrabis) September 26, 2020 Less is more at the podium, so don’t give a good team bulletin board material.Atlanta pitched 22 scoreless innings over the course of two days in this best-of-three NL Wild Card series. This was Atlanta’s first postseason series victory since winning getting past the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2001 NLDS. For Cincinnati, the Reds’ postseason...
    On the day that Colorado banjoist Jayme Stone found out about the death of his 42-year-old brother Michael Stone, he started writing about it, trying to make sense of what was happening. Michael, who lived in British Columbia, was a well-known teacher of yoga and Buddhism, which influenced how Jayme approached the poetry, journal entries and lyrics he began to draft. One of the first things he wrote in his journal was the word "AWake," thinking about "the idea of what someone leaves in their wake and what it means to be awake to your own life," he says. It would eventually become the title of his latest album, AWake, which came out in late August. "I was just really in a grieving process and just trying to make sense of things," Stone recalls. "And it was very clear that I was going to write about this, and I was going to make music out of that experience. It took a few months before the songs started coming — and then they became the focal point of this...
    Who wants to advance to the NLDS: The Atlanta Braves or the Cincinnati Reds? It’s been a long time since either the Atlanta Braves or the Cincinnati Reds advanced in October. If this were a normal MLB postseason, the Reds wouldn’t have even qualified. Thanks to its great starting pitching out of Trevor Bauer, Luis Castillo and Sonny Gray, Cincinnati cliched its first postseason berth since falling to the division rival Pittsburgh Pirates in the 2013 NL Wild Card game. While the Braves three-peated as NL East champs, their postseason futility is ever-present.Something has to give in this best-of-three series between the Braves and Reds.Braves Country is well aware of its favorite team’s inability to get it done in October. Since defeating the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2001 NLDS, Atlanta has failed to advance in the postseason in its last 10 attempts. The Braves have made the postseason for the 10th time since 2002. They have lost their last nine NLDS, as well as the infamous 2012 NL Wild Card game. Atlanta Braves postseason futility since 2001 2001...
    By any measure, Courtney Whitehead’s journey through the Denver music scene has been a successful one — even if the Bison Bone frontman felt terrible through much of it. For the past decade, Whitehead has struggled with increasingly debilitating bouts of poor health, as well as anxiety, insomnia and depression, all of which affected his overall quality of life and his ability to tour. His affliction remained a mystery until about a year and a half ago; the diagnosis was Lyme disease, a bacterial infection caused by tick bites. It’s a nasty illness that can go undetected for years and is often mistaken for other maladies. “That’s just kind of Western-medicine stuff, trying to get this diagnosed,” Whitehead says. “They can’t find it doing test after test after test. Finally I found a doctor [who] said it sounded like Lyme disease, and they tested for it, and they were right.” Related Stories Bison Bone Welcomes Trouble on New Release That Time Bison Bone Got Locked in a Cult House Courtney Whitehead of Bison Bone on Cosmic Country and Eminent Domain...
    UPCYCLING furniture is a sure way to get the look you want for cheap. And one crafty DIY fan managed to create a stunning storage unit for FREE after sprucing up one she'd salvaged from the skip. 2Amy Panikova spruced up the storage unit with a lick of paint and stunning stencilCredit: Amy Panikova Posting in the DIY On A Budget UK Facebook group, Amy Panikova wrote: "They say 'One person's trash is another one's Treasure!' "Found this in a skip and had to have it! The middle section couldn't be rescued so I've replaced it with hessian rope." And added: "Cost: £0 as i had the paint, stencil and rope. So happy with how it's turned out." She shared a before an after snap of the set of drawers which had a timber frame and three rattan storage cubes. 2Amy found the storage unit in the skip and managed to revive it for freeCredit: Amy Panikova Wanting to change it so it suited her home interior, the woman simply added a lick of paint to the unit...
    AS desperate as we were for the kids to go back to school this September, we certainly didn't miss the manic mornings spent coaxing them out the door. Well if you also struggle to get your little ones out of bed in the mornings, then you might want to take a leaf out of Mary Doll Patterson's book. 3Mary, 33, with her daughters Lily, 13, and Sophie Rose, nineCredit: Facebook The savvy mum-of-two, 33, from Belfast, has installed a Bluetooth lightbulb outside her daughters' rooms which allows her to start blasting music if they don't get up on time. Posting on the Facebook group Mrs Hinch Made Me Do It, Mary explained how Lily, 13, and Sophie Rose, nine, are a "nightmare to get up in the mornings". She wrote: "I bought a Diall Bluetooth speaker from B&Q and I think it’s going to be a good investment! "Best thing is, they can’t reach the lightbulb and can’t switch it off!" 3The lightbulb is connected to the mum's phone and plays any song she wantsCredit: Facebook The Bluetooth bulb...
    Two parents in Russia asked a truck driver to take their two young daughters to a babysitter. The girls later claimed the truck driver touched them inappropriately, leading the parents to track down the driver, rape him with a metal pipe, and then beat him with it. Valeria Dunaeva, 25, is the mother of the three-year-old who picked up the two girls. The two told her Chikvarkin “had touched them below the waist,” police said, according to the Daily Mail. Dunaeva became enraged after the accusation and told 33-year-old Sergey Chabin, the father of the 10-year-old girl. The parents called three male friends to find Chikvarkin and attack him. “They found the man who previously gave a lift to the children,” a police source told Znak, a Russian newspaper. “First, he was raped in the anus with a metal pipe. Then they smashed his head with the same pipe, breaking his skull.” Chikvarkin’s friend – an aunt of Dunaeva’s ex-husband who had babysat the children – was injured in the attack as well while she tried to defend her friend....
    NBA : Defeated in the first two games of the series, the Thunder came back up to the Rockets by winning Game 4 (117-114) despite 15 points of disbursement in the third quarter. The Thunder are definitely a stunning team. New example on the night of Monday to Tuesday with the success achieved in Game 4 of its series against the Rockets, Oklahoma City winning on the wire (117-114) after having counted up to 15 points of disbursement in the third quarterback and attacked the home stretch with a length behind. And to win, OKC was able to count on the fine performance of Dennis Schröder, author of a new record in the playoffs with 30 points to 10 out of 16 out of the bench. What to steal the show from Chris Paul despite his 26 points at 10 of 19 and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, who has compiled 18 points, 12 rebounds and 6 assists. It was necessary to come to the end of Rockets being able to rely on the inevitable James Harden, leading scorer of the...
    Get your spirit fingers out, “Bring It On” is celebrating its 20th a-n-n-i-v-e-r-s-a-r-y. Starring Kirsten Dunst, Gabrielle Union and Eliza Dushku, the cheerleading flick helped catapult the sport to a fever pitch when it hit the big screen at the start of the millennium’s teen movie craze on Aug. 25, 2000. Now a cult classic, the summer blockbuster grossed $90 million worldwide and spawned five follow-up films, all of which went straight to video, and even a Broadway musical. Following a champion team getting ready for competition, Dunst’s character Torrance takes over the Toros squad as captain for her senior year — only to find out that all of their award-winning routines were stolen from an underdog inner-city squad, the Clovers, led by Isis (Union). But when it comes to the movie’s now-iconic cheer routines — often mimicked by high schools around the nation — some were actually originals. One memorable one, in particular, was created by actress Nicole Bilderback, who played mean girl cheerleader Whitney. “I actually choreographed that,” Bilderback told The Post of the infamous “That’s alright/ That’s...
    Keeping track of the number of people who are homeless in Los Angeles is an exercise in uncertainty. Not only do the numbers change from year to year, presumably reflecting real shifts in the homeless population, but, once published, they can change months or years later — based not on actual changes in the population, but on changes in how it’s calculated. So although the original number might hang around on the internet — especially in news articles — revised numbers pop up in contradiction. Beware the casual searcher! In the latest change, the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, which conducts the annual count, has reduced the number it published for the city of Los Angeles last year by 615, giving a new total of 35,550. Although the change does not affect the countywide totals reported to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, it highlights an uncomfortable truth about LAHSA’s annual reports: The much-discussed “counts” of homeless people, which are expressed with absolute precision, aren’t truly counts, but estimates, subject to statistical error. Now, for the...
    Google is rolling out a feature that transforms an Android smartphone into an early earthquake detector. The tech giant teamed up with the United States Geological Survey and the California Governor's Office of Emergency Services to collect accurate data of these events. The notification are generated from the ShakeAlert, which is a system pulls information from over 700 seismometers across California. Users will receive the alert minutes before the quake hits, along with ways to stay safe, such as drop to the floor and look for cover. Scroll down for videos  Google is rolling out a feature that transforms an Android smartphone into an early earthquake detector. Users will receive the alert minutes before the quake hits, along with ways to stay safe, such as drop to the floor and look for cover ‘With the growing cost of natural disasters worldwide, we saw an opportunity to use Android to provide people with timely, helpful earthquake information when they search, as well as a few seconds warning to get themselves and their loved ones to safety if needed," Google shared...
    I made BLT-worthy bacon eight different ways. Rachel Askinasi/Insider Insider I made bacon eight different ways to see which method yielded the best breakfast side.  I compared methods by looking at how they affected the cook time, consistency, and texture of the meat. Starting the bacon in a cold, dry skillet made for consistently cooked strips while starting in a preheated skillet made for half-rubbery, half-burnt strips. I was surprised by how well the batch I made in the microwave turned out. Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. After spending weeks finding the best ways to cook scrambled eggs, hard-boiled eggs, and pancakes, I thought it was only right that I try making the perfect breakfast side next: bacon. Some people prefer their bacon chewy while others opt for crunchy. There's also greasy versus dry, and ribboned versus flat. Knowing that the possibilities are nearly endless, I scoured the internet to come up with a list of eight different ways to cook the popular breakfast meat.  Using the same brand of uncured, center-cut, smokehouse bacon,...
    The founder and CEO of Facebook Mark Zuckerberg speaks during the 56th Munich Security Conference in Munich, southern Germany, on February 15, 2020.Christof Stache | AFP | Getty Images Major corporations including Coca-Cola, J.M. Smucker Company, Diageo, Mars, HP, CVS Health and Verizon will continue pausing their ads on Facebook after the official end of a major advertiser boycott of the platform.  Advertisers announced various degrees of pauses to their social media advertising budgets in June, after a campaign called "#StopHateForProfit" called on advertisers to boycott Facebook for the month of July. Some companies said they'd only pause ads on Facebook for July. Others said they'd do it through the end of the year. And others extended the pause to other social media companies like Twitter and Alphabet's YouTube. All in all, more than 1,000 groups and companies took part in the boycott, with the goal to pressure Facebook into taking more stringent steps to stop the spread of hate speech and misinformation on its platform. Though the movement may have hit Facebook reputation-wise, there doesn't appear to have been much of an...
    A self-proclaimed white supremacist hauled off and punched a female bartender in the face after embarking on a bizarre rant in Nokomis, Florida, on Friday. He reportedly entered the restaurant and bar with his shorts half undone, making lewd comments to patrons inside before turning violent. What happened The suspect, identified by police as Nicholas Arnold Schock, 36, was caught on video making racist remarks and threatening bar patrons at Pop's Sunset Grill before punching the female bartender. In a now-viral video, Schock — a heavily tattooed man with what appears to be a crudely drawn swastika inked on his chest — can be heard yelling, "Aryan nation will rule all!" "I'm a white supremacist. The Aryan nation will rule the world!" he can be heard shouting. "People covered in tattoos are going to be my closest relatives, I promise you!" Witnesses told police that Schock also boasted about killing "n*****s," and threatened to "kill everyone in the establishment." In the video, staff quickly appear and try to diffuse Schock's angry outburst,...
    CHICAGO (CBS) — Wisconsin has been a popular getaway for people from Chicago during the coronavirus pandemic, but by Tuesday, anyone who visits will have to quarantine when they get home. Mayor Lori Lightfoot is adding the Badger State to the city’s quarantine order. She said despite summer travel, people need to be on their guard to stop the spread of COVID-19. The mayor said while cities in the south and southwest have seen a record number of coronavirus cases, she hopes to keep the spreading at a distance for Chicagoans. “We’re also seeing an increase in states around us. Wisconsin, for example, is going to go on our quarantine list later this week,” Lightfoot said. “And even in the suburban Cook County area, we have some concerns about what we’re seeing.” There are already 18 other states for which the city is requiring anyone traveling from to self-isolate for 14 days upon arriving in the city. We asked how many people have actually been fined so far for failing to quarantine after to coming to Chicago from those states....
    A retired police officer who was looking to find a car similar to that of his late dad's hit the jackpot — and he ended up purchasing his late father's police cruiser after spotting it on eBay. What are the details? Greg Barnett, a 47-year-old retired police officer from the U.K., was searching eBay for a car like his father's old police cruiser, and he couldn't have been luckier: The car wasn't simply like his father's old police cruiser — it was his father's old police cruiser. Greg's father, Barrie Barnett, was a a driving instructor for Durham Constabulary who died in 2007 at the age of 65. When Barnett saw the listing for the 1978 Vauxhall VX90, which was painted like those patrol cars he'd seen in his hometown of Durham, England, he was instantly intrigued. He said he began to scroll through the listing's photos when he came across an expense sheet that bore his father's name and handwriting. "I was gobsmacked when I saw the receipts...
    Eldon Hawkins is 58 years old and has cerebral palsy, the Columbus Dispatch reported. Image source: WBNS-TV video screenshot On the evening of May 31, he drove to get dinner and flowers and ended up in the middle of a protest in downtown Columbus, Ohio, WBNS-TV said.What happened next?"I was at the intersection, and I got the green light. I was trying to toot my horn, thinking, 'Hey guys, look at the light,'" Hawkins told the station. He was blocked — and video of the incident shows he tried backing up his car and hit a person on a bicycle with the rear bumper. "He tried to get away from the situation and in doing so he accidentally struck — and I emphasize accidentally struck — an individual on a bike," witness Phillip Hurst told WBNS. Video shows the bicyclist, who didn't fall to the ground, quickly began beating on Hawkins' car — and a bunch of other left-wing George Floyd protesters followed suit and swarmed the vehicle. Image source: WBNS-TV video screenshot "They...
    THIS bizarre 'alien' object that washed up on an Australian beach could be worth up to £800,000 if it turns out to be whale vomit. The blob-like figure was found on Urangan Beach in Queensland last Friday. 1A woman stumbled upon this blob-like object on Urangan Beach in Australia The woman who stumbled up on the sand-covered lump shared an image on Facebook asking if it was a "dangerous stonefish". However, many of those comments said they thought it was ambergris - which is a rare and valuable ingredient used in making perfume. Ambergris - a hard amber-like substance - is a highly sought after by perfume companies and can cost up to £18 per gram. In 2016, a family in South Australia made more than £800,000 after they found a clump of ambergris that had washed ashore. In Morecambe, Lancs., a beachwalker found a lump of the stinky yellow rock worth up to £100,000 in 2016. Ambergris is made in the intestines of sperm whales as "slurry" before it hardens in the water as it's spewed from its body....
    New York (CNN Business)First came public statements against racism and in support of Black Lives Matter from a wide range of companies. Then came large corporate donations to organizations promoting racial equity. But now, weeks after George Floyd's death sparked a national movement for racial justice, many companies are turning their focus inward and taking actions aimed at addressing their own issues with systemic racism. This has taken the form of everything from companies making Juneteenth a company holiday to tech leaders placing a moratorium on facial recognition sales to police departments. Still, Corporate America has a long way to go.Today, only four CEOs in the Fortune 500 are Black. Black professionals in 2018 held just 3.3% of all executive or senior leadership roles, according to the most recent US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission data. In 2019, more than a third of S&P 500 companies did not have any Black board members, according to Black Enterprise's Power in the Boardroom report.Read MoreChanging these numbers goes beyond doing the right thing — it helps companies better innovate and compete as US...
    (CNN)Last week, novelist, director and television writer John Ridley -- an Academy Award winner for his screenplay for the movie "12 Years a Slave" -- wrote a brief but compelling op-ed in the Los Angeles Times, asking HBO (a sister company of CNN under the ownership of WarnerMedia) to take the movie "Gone With the Wind" off of its much-hyped new streaming platform HBO Max. Jeff Yang Ridley wrote that the movie "glorifies the antebellum south. It is a film that, when it is not ignoring the horrors of slavery, pauses only to perpetuate some of the most painful stereotypes of people of color." In Ridley's estimation, the film "continues to give cover to those who falsely claim that clinging to the iconography of the plantation era is a matter of 'heritage, not hate.'" Just a day after Ridley's op-ed ran, HBO temporarily pulled the film from streaming. There's a deeper conversation to be had about how "Gone With the Wind"'s racist depictions and white-supremacy-indulgent view of our nation's past should be addressed today, which University of Chicago professor...