Monday, Dec 05, 2022 - 20:24:28
62 results - (0.010 seconds)

New York Magazine:

latest news at page 1:
    Andrew Sullivan penned his last op-ed in New York Magazine on Friday after previously announcing that he would no longer be a columnist for the outlet. Sullivan began the column by stressing that the magazine "has every right to hire and fire anyone it wants when it comes to the content of what it wants to publish," but also indicated "the quality of my work does not appear to be the problem." "What has happened, I think, is relatively simple: A critical mass of the staff and management at New York Magazine and Vox Media no longer want to associate with me, and in a time of ever tightening budgets, I’m a luxury item they don’t want to afford. And that’s entirely their prerogative," Sullivan explained. "They seem to believe, and this is increasingly the orthodoxy in mainstream media, that any writer not actively committed to critical theory in questions of race, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity is actively, physically harming co-workers merely by existing in the same virtual space. Actually attacking, and even mocking, critical theory’s ideas and methods, as I have done continually...
    Andrew Sullivan wrote his final column for New York magazine, where he has worked since 2016, on Friday after revealing he was leaving for reasons that were 'self-evident' Conservative columnist Andrew Sullivan has revealed he is leaving New York magazine because he misses writing freely without being in a 'defensive crouch' - as he bemoaned mainstream media for no longer having diverse opinions. In his final column on Friday for the magazine where he has worked for four years, Sullivan said that a 'critical mass' of staff at the company no longer wanted to associate with him due, in part, to his criticisms of critical theory or woke culture.  The self-described 'anti-Trump conservative' said some staff and management had come to believe that any writer who doesn't conform to critical theory was harming co-workers 'merely by existing in the same virtual space'.  He said that if the mainstream media would no longer host a diversity of opinion, it was up to the nonmainstream media to pick up the slack.  Sullivan had revealed on Wednesday that he was leaving the magazine, which...
    Vox Media said Thursday it will lay off about 6 percent of its workforce, or around 70 people, as the coronavirus continues to ravage the publishing industry. The owner of New York magazine, as well as news sites like Recode, Curbed and the Verge, said the bulk of the layoffs among its staff of 1,200 will mainly affect the nearly 100 workers who had previously been furloughed in May. The company, which bought New York Magazine in September 2019 and also owns sites including SB Nation, Grub Street and The Cut, said it’s no longer expecting an economic rebound in the second half of the year. “Our hope in May was that business would bounce back in the months that followed,” Vox CEO Jim Bankoff wrote in a memo to staffers Thursday prior to an all-hands meeting in the afternoon. “As we discussed in last week’s all-hands, it’s becoming increasingly clear that the second half of the year will not rebound anywhere near our pre-COVID forecasts,” Bankoff said. “Furthermore, as cases rise tragically across the country and many of our...
    Conservative columnist Andrew Sullivan announced he is leaving New York magazine this week, saying the reasons for the split were 'pretty self-evident'. He said he would elaborate in his final column on Friday Conservative columnist Andrew Sullivan has announced he is leaving New York magazine this week, saying the reasons for the split were 'pretty self-evident'. Sullivan's announcement came after New York Times opinion editor Bari Weiss revealed on Tuesday she had quit in a scathing resignation letter that slammed the newspaper for fostering an 'illiberal environment' and allegedly allowing her to be bullied by coworkers for 'wrongthink'. 'This will be my last week at New York Magazine,' Sullivan, who has worked at New York magazine since 2016, tweeted.  'I'm sad because the editors I worked with there are among the finest in the country, and I am immensely grateful to them for vastly improving my work. I'm also proud of the essays and columns I wrote at NYM - some of which will be published in a collection of my writing scheduled for next year.' Sullivan didn't elaborate on his...
    Conservative commentator Andrew Sullivan announced his departure from New York Magazine on Tuesday, citing a "self-evident" distance between himself and the magazine's editorial bent. In a series of tweets, the writer said that he was "immensely grateful" to the editors at the magazine and said that he had "no beef" with the outlet's other writers, many of whom are left of center. "The underlying reasons for the split are pretty self-evident, and I’ll be discussing the broader questions involved in my last column this Friday," he added. "I've been preparing for this eventuality, and the column will continue elsewhere. See you on Friday, when I'll detail some exciting news." I’m sad because the editors I worked with there are among the finest in the country, and I am immensely grateful to them for vastly improving my work.— Andrew Sullivan (@sullydish) July 14, 2020 The underlying reasons for the split are pretty self-evident, and I’ll be discussing the broader questions involved in my last column this Friday.— Andrew Sullivan (@sullydish) July 14, 2020 In a memo to employees, New York Magazine editor-in-chief David...
    Prominent conservative commentator Andrew Sullivan announced Tuesday that he will move on from New York magazine at week’s end — on the heels of Bari Weiss’ abrupt resignation from The New York Times’ opinion section. “This will be my last week at New York Magazine,” wrote Sullivan in the first of a series of tweets blasted out Tuesday afternoon. “I’m sad because the editors I worked with there are among the finest in the country, and I am immensely grateful to them for vastly improving my work,” he continued in the thread. “I have no beef with my colleagues, many of whom I admire and are friends.” Though Sullivan described his reasons for leaving as “self-evident,” he did not elaborate further, promising an in-depth explanation in his final piece for the magazine. “The underlying reasons for the split are pretty self-evident, and I’ll be discussing the broader questions involved in my last column this Friday,” he wrote. Sullivan’s announcement came just hours after Weiss stepped down from her position as a writer and editor for the Times’ opinion section. Weiss,...
    On Tuesday, Andrew Sullivan, a former editor of the New Republic and currently a writer-at-large for New York Magazine, announced he will leave the magazine at the end of this week. Sullivan issued a Twitter thread in which he wrote: This will be my last week at New York Magazine. I’m sad because the editors I worked with there are among the finest in the country, and I am immensely grateful to them for vastly improving my work. I’m also proud of the essays and columns I wrote at NYM – some of which will be published in a collection of my writing scheduled for next year. The underlying reasons for the split are pretty self-evident, and I’ll be discussing the broader questions involved in my last column this Friday. I’ve been preparing for this eventuality, and the column will continue elsewhere. See you on Friday, when I’ll detail some exciting news. On Tuesday, noting Bari Weiss’ blistering resignation letter to New York Times publisher A.G. Sulzberger in which she delineated the hostile environment she had to endure at the...
    New York (CNN Business)Columnist and blogger Andrew Sullivan is leaving New York magazine, his professional home since 2016, he announced Tuesday."This will be my last week at New York Magazine," Sullivan tweeted. "I'm sad because the editors I worked with there are among the finest in the country, and I am immensely grateful to them for vastly improving my work. I'm also proud of the essays and columns I wrote at NYM - some of which will be published in a collection of my writing scheduled for next year."Sullivan did not directly state his reason for leaving but said on Twitter that it was "pretty self-evident" and the "broader questions involved" would be discussed in his last column on Friday.New York editor in chief David Haskell confirmed Sullivan's resignation in a memo to staff obtained by CNN Business.Haskell wrote that the decision for Sullivan and the magazine to "part ways was mutual."Read More"Andrew and I agreed that his editorial project and the magazine's, though overlapping in many ways, were no longer the right match for each other," Haskell said.Sullivan first...
    A New York man who was captured in a famous photograph fleeing the debris of a crumbling World Trade Center on 9/11 has died from the coronavirus. Stephen Cooper, 78, who was living part-time in Florida, succumbed to the virus March 28 at Delray Medical Center, The Palm Beach Post reported over the weekend. Cooper was 60 years old when he was photographed running among a crowd just a block away from the south tower, carrying a manila envelope under his left arm. The image taken by Associated Press photographer, Suzanne Plunkett, ran in newspapers and magazines around the world — and now is on display at the 9/11 Memorial Museum in Manhattan. Janet Rashes, who was Cooper’s partner for 33 years, said he was delivering documents near the World Trade Center when he heard a police officer yell, “You have to run.” “He didn’t even know the photograph was taken,” she told The Palm Beach Post. “All of a sudden, he’s looking in Time magazine one day and he sees himself and says, ‘Oh my God. That’s me.’...
    Nio shares rally 16% after electric-car companys above-expectations sales 30 Cool Corvettes From Syracuse Diane von Furstenberg Said a New York Magazine Article "Destroyed" Her Marriage to Prince Egon von Fürstenberg Who: Fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg (née Halfin), 73, and the late Prince Edouard Egon von und zu Fürstenberg, who died in 2004 at the age of 57. © Susan Wood/Getty Images "I didn’t want to be a European Park Avenue princess with a pretend decadent life.” How They Met: Diane and Egon met in 1965, at a birthday party in Lausanne, Switzerland while both of them were attending the University of Geneva. They came from wildly different backgrounds — Diane the daughter of a Holocaust survivor who gave birth to her just 18 months after escaping Auschwitz, and Egon, the son of a German prince and a member of the Fiat family. Diane has written in her memoirs that she was initially unimpressed by the young royal. “I wasn’t particularly attracted to this handsome blond young man,” she wrote in Diane: A Signature Life. Feelings developed when...
    (CNN)Milton Glaser, co-founder of New York Magazine and famed graphic designer behind the "I ♥ NY" logo, has died, according to the magazine.Glaser died Friday on his 91st birthday, the magazine's obituary says. His wife, Shirley Glaser, told The New York Times the cause of death was a stroke and that he also suffered from renal failure. She could not be immediately reached for comment by CNN. "On behalf of the family of New York, my thoughts are with Milton's loved ones today, especially his wife Shirley. We lost a brilliant designer and great New Yorker," said New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo in a statement to CNN. New Yorkers grab complimentary "I ♥ NY" stickered apples to mark the logo's 30th anniversary.Born in 1929, Glaser got his start in design at New York City's Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art. He then went on to launch Push Pin Studios in 1954 with several former classmates, which "exerted a powerful influence on the direction of world graphic design," according to Glaser's website. By 1968, Glaser founded New...
    Milton Glaser, the groundbreaking graphic designer who adorned Bob Dylan’s silhouette with psychedelic touches on his hair and summed up feelings for his native New York with “I (HEART) NY” (“I Love NY”), passed away on Friday, at his birthday. He was 91 years old. Glaser suffered a stroke and had kidney failure, his wife, Shirley Glaser, explained to The New York Times. On posters, logos, advertisements, and book covers, Glaser’s ideas captured the spirit of the 1960s with a few simple colors and shapes. He was the designer of the team that founded New York magazine with Clay Felker in the late 1960s. “In our office, of course, he will always be one of the small group of men and women who, in the late 1960s, took New York out of the newspaper morgue and made it a great American magazine,” the publication stated. in his Glaser obituary. The bold “I (HEART) NY” logo, which cleverly uses typewriter letters as typography, was conceived as part of an advertising campaign that began in 1977 to boost the image of the...