Web Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wednesday, Dec 07, 2022 - 21:27:56
76 results - (0.013 seconds)

people whether it’s:

latest news at page 1:
    The House of Representatives passed a bill Monday evening that would increase Americans stimulus checks to $2,000 - something President Donald Trump demanded.  Democrast used a fast-track procedure to get the bill through, meaning two-thirds of the House needed to sign on.  All but two House Democrats who voted were joined by 44 Republicans to get the bill through, with the final vote total being 275 yeas to 134 nays.  Twenty-one lawmakers didn't vote.  Now the bill's fate is in the Senate's hands - where Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has not been openly supportive. On Sunday night when Trump signed the giant spending and COVID-19 stimulus bill - after flirting with vetoing it for several days - he repeated his demand for Americans to receive $2,000 checks, instead or the $600 payments outlined in the legislation.  'As President, I have told Congress that I want far less wasteful spending and more money going to the American people in the form of $2,000 checks per adult and $600 per child,' Trump said.  House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is seen on...
    Whether he accepts defeat or not, Donald Trump’s presidency will become history at noon on Jan. 20, when former Vice President Joe Biden becomes our nation’s leader. The Electoral College voted Monday to elect Biden as our next president, affirming his impressive and legitimate victory in the Nov. 3 election. Last week the Supreme Court rejected an effort by President Trump and his allies to overturn the election by invalidating the votes of millions of people in four states carried by Biden. President-elect Biden received 306 electoral votes to President Trump’s 232 — the exact margin of victory that Trump won four years ago when he defeated Hillary Clinton. In the popular vote, Biden received almost 81.3 million votes, compared to 74.2 million for Trump. In other words, the election wasn’t close. And courts around the nation have thrown out Trump’s baseless claims that Biden’s victory was fraudulent and based on rigged voting. Even Attorney General William Barr, a Republican who was appointed by Trump, has said there was not widespread fraud that would have changed the outcome of the...
    Pfizer's coronavirus jab may not prevent vaccinated people from spreading coronavirus, the firm's chairman admitted this week.  'I think that's something that needs to be examined. We're not certain about that right now,' said Albert Bourla, when asked by Dateline's Lester Holt about whether the shot would prevent transmission during the interview, which aired Thursday night.     The interview was recorded shortly before Pfizer confirmed that it will only be able to ship 50 million doses of its vaccine by the end of the year - half as many as the 100 million the pharmaceutical giant had promised - due to supply chain issues.   It's the latest in a series of tumultuous developments for the vaccine-maker this week. Its shot became the first approved in the West on Wednesday when it was greenlit in the UK.  Clinical trials found the shot to be 95 percent effective at preventing people from developing COVID-19, which could mean stemming the pandemic's deadliness and burden on health care systems worldwide.  But Pfizer didn't collect data that would show whether volunteers who got its shot transmitted...
    Kate Middleton wore a pussy-bow Gucci blouse for an Instagram Q&A with royal fans. Kensington Palace Kate Middleton has royal fans divided over whether she wore a $1,300 Gucci blouse backwards.  The Duchess of Cambridge first wore the silk pussy-bow blouse the wrong way around at a royal engagement in March 2019. Photos taken at the time show the royal wearing the blouse back to front so the buttons would give it a more formal look. Middleton wore the blouse again for a recent Instagram Q&A, but the buttons aren't visible due to the bow. The buttons were visible on the front of the duchess' sleeves, however they appear on the back of the model's sleeves on the Net-a-Porter website.  Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. The Duchess of Cambridge rewore a $1,300 (£975) purple Gucci blouse, and people are debating whether she wore it the correct way around. Kate Middleton wore the silk blouse, which features an oversized pussy-bow, for an Instagram Q&A about the Early Years, where she spoke about the Five Big Questions survey, as...
    Public health officials have looked to random antibody testing to gauge what percentage of various populations have been infected with coronavirus.  But these figures are likely an underestimate, the findings of a new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report suggests.  Among more than 150 health care workers who had tested positive for coronavirus, more than a quarter had no detectable antibodies 60 days after diagnosis, according to the study, published Tuesday.  We still don't know whether detectable antibodies are necessary for protection from reinfection, however. In fact the latest research suggests that other parts of the immune system do 'remember' coronavirus, months after recovery.  However, it's still worrisome because it could mean that cities and states are not getting an accurate picture of how widespread coronavirus is or has been in their communities, which could skew policy decisions like whether to shut down non-essential businesses. In total, 28% of the health care workers who initially tested positive for coronavirus no longe had them at detectable levels 60 days later. Nearly 70 percent of those who had low...
    Across the country, Election Day is coming to a close. For most of us, our votes have already been cast and are being counted. Each of us is filled with a range of emotions.  Most of us are afraid about what the days ahead hold. The boards on the buildings around us are a reminder of just how bad it is.  Regardless of the outcome, there will be winners and there will be losers. There will be celebrations and there will be moments of mourning.  We will undoubtedly see the best in us and the worst in us. But whatever you do and however you feel, I ask you to do one thing: do the thing that no one expects us to do, spread hope. NEWT GINGRICH: IF ELECTION RIOTS BREAK OUT, TRUMP SHOULD FOLLOW LINCOLN’S ADVICE As a researcher, I talk to people on both sides of the aisle.  And this is what I can tell you: People on both sides are good. They want what’s best for this country, their families, and themselves. They want to be free and they want to have...
    Democratic New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said Saturday during an interview with actress and liberal activist Jane Fonda that “it’s not easy” being attacked by President Donald Trump. Fonda said during the Greenpeace USA segment, “You and I have both experienced being vilified, including by presidents, and so I’m going to ask you a question that I get asked a lot: How do you handle it?” “Well, you know, it’s not easy, I think is the first thing to communicate,” the congresswoman responded. “The reason that these attacks happen — whether they’re on journalists, whether they’re on progressive politicians, whether they’re on women, people of color, etc. — is to exhaust us. It is to wear us down.” (RELATED: Jane Fonda ‘So Disappointed’ In Justin Trudeau) She said people like her “don’t necessarily have the traditional institutional resources” that people “born into aristocratic families” have. “The way that I try to endure, honestly the thing that really helps me is the grassroots support that we have.” The “squad” member who has promoted policies like the Green New Deal and Medicare...
    Maybe you don't like politics with your beer. Or maybe you think small businesses should stay above the ideological fray so that they don't alienate one group of potential customers while catering to another. It's an understandable take, but one that really isn't possible anymore in a country that is now truly divided. Even the simplest choices — such as what organization to donate money to or whether or not to support the Black Lives Matter movement or enforce mask rules — can have repercussions. So, with that "damned if you do, damned if you don't" environment as the background, a few breweries are putting politics on tap. Others are simply encouraging people to vote, including Arvada's Luki Brewery, which is offering people the chance to vote on the style characteristics for its yet-to-be-brewed Democracy IPA, which will be released on November 3 — election day. (Hurry, though, because voting on the beer ends tomorrow, October 14). "We are...days away from the very last chance to raise your hand and add your voice to the collective opinion of where we as...
    “If you couldn’t figure it out last night they want to pack the Supreme Court,” Mike Pence told a crowd of supporters in Nevada the morning after his debate with Sen. Kamala Harris of California. “Some people think we did all right,” the vice president said at a rally in Boulder City. He praised Judge Amy Coney Barrett, President Trump's nominee to fill the Supreme Court seat left vacant after the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, noting she hails from his home state of Indiana. He called the circuit court judge a “principled conservative with an inspiring personal story… she comes from the Heartland.” On Wednesday night Pence hammered vice presidential nominee Harris over whether a Biden administration would try to pack the Supreme Court if Republicans “get their way” and confirm Barrett to the Supreme Court. Pence said the “American people really deserve an answer” on court-packing after Democratic nominee Joe Biden ducked the question during the first presidential debate last week. “Are you and Joe Biden going to pack the court if Amy Coney Barrett is confirmed? Are you going to...
    Since early July, British scientists grappling with the coronavirus pandemic have been involved in some very unlikely detective work. Every couple of days, they have been taking samples of wastewater from 44 of the UK's largest sewage plants to study one particular component — what comes out of our loos. Wastewater is used water that's come from domestic sinks, showers and loos, and is contaminated with everything from soaps and chemicals to food scraps and human faeces. Every day, billions of gallons of it are pumped from sewers to treatment works, where it is cleaned (using bacteria to break down all the contaminants) and released back into rivers and streams. Scientists in the UK (as well the U.S., Italy, France and The Netherlands) are now able to detect even the tiniest amount of the virus's genetic material in untreated sewage RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Having your appendix removed could become a thing of the... EXCLUSIVE: 'Inhumane, degrading, inexplicable': Britain's... Share this article Share Now it transpires that testing sewage before...
    “Advertising Fairtrade is like advertising ‘We almost pay minimum wage,’” says Philip Goodlaxson, owner of Corvus Coffee. “It’s not a huge thing to be proud of.” Corvus doesn’t sell coffee beans certified as Fairtrade because Goodlaxson doesn’t think the certification gives farmers the financial support and product recognition they deserve. Still, anything that gets consumers thinking about the story and the people behind their cup of coffee is important —  no ifs, ands or buts, he continues. Fairtrade certification implies that standards are in place to protect workers and the environment while producing quality products. The certification evolved during the second half of the 20th century, and while its intentions were just, some, like Goodlaxson, question whether the label still protects and compensates to the extent they claim. Goodlaxson has found his alternative by working directly with small-lot coffee farmers and by paying them a premium price to ensure a symbiotic business relationship. “It doesn’t take much,” Goodlaxson explains, expressing frustration in the living standards many coffee farmers face. He reflects on La Vega, Christian Osorio’s small-lot coffee farm in...
    Former CBS News anchor Dan Rather, who left the network for airing a false story about George W. Bush’s military service during the 2004 election, doubled down Tuesday on his support for a story in The Atlantic claiming President Donald Trump disparaged the troops. The Atlantic cited four anonymous sources who claimed that Trump called American soldiers who died in World War I “losers” and “suckers” in 2018, and also claimed he skipped a visit to a military cemetery because he did not want to get his hair wet in the rain. The claims have been disputed, on the record, by well over a dozen sources, including former National Security Advisor John Bolton, who has become a strident critic of the president. On Sunday, the U.S. Ambassador to France and former Deputy White House Chief of Staff Zach Fuentes both denied the story was true. Rather, hosting a show on “Radio Andy” on Sirius XM 102, devoted a segment to the Atlantic story, asking callers to react to the story. He asked several whether they believed the allegations were true. Rather and several callers...
    MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace posited that it's still an "open question" as to whether President Trump is secretly working for Russia. Wallace made the speculative claim on her show Deadline: White House on Friday during a conversation with former Time magazine Managing Editor Rick Stengel and Associated Press White House reporter Jonathan Lemire. They were discussing the bombshell report from the Atlantic, which has been refuted by a number of White House staffers on the record, that Trump bashed and demeaned fallen and wounded soldiers while he was on an overseas trip in 2018. Stengel asked whether Trump's supposed comments were resonating with some parts of the country. "What I wonder when I hear Donald Trump [...] calling people in the military and vets and people who are captured 'suckers' or 'losers,' how many other Americans think that? How many other Americans think, 'Yeah, he's got the right idea about things,'" he said. "Those guys are suckers. That’s what scares me going up to Nov. 3. Are people paying attention to this? Is he tapping into something that we don’t...
    Peter Alexander, NBC’s White House Correspondent, invited President Donald Trump on Friday to apologize for allegedly disparaging fallen military personnel. The unsubstantiated allegations — which included no evidence — were published by the Atlantic on Thursday. The Atlantic alleged that Trump derided Americans who died in wars as “losers,” citing unidentified “people with firsthand knowledge” of a discussion with the president in 2018. Alexander asked for Trump’s apology while wearing a mask. His Twitter profile photo also shows him wearing a surgical mask. He reiterated Atlantic writer Jeffrey Goldberg’s allegations. NEW: “When my son volunteered and joined the United States military, and went to Iraq for a year, won the Bronze Star and other commendations, he was not a sucker." Joe Biden angrily responds to allegations in @TheAtlantic that Trump disparaged fallen servicemembers. — Peter Alexander (@PeterAlexander) September 4, 2020 New, from @TheAtlantic: Trump skipped a visit to an American military cemetery in France after calling the dead "losers" for getting killed: Full story here: https://t.co/4PUGrR7tCS — Jeffrey Goldberg (@JeffreyGoldberg) September 3, 2020 Partial transcript below. ALEXANDER: Sir, do you need to apologize...
    I’m as big a political junkie as they come. I love reading polls, monitoring their day-to-day fluctuations, like a fantasy sports bettor studying blocks of player stats. I not only watch politicians give speeches, I engage in blow-by-blow commentary by my fellow junkies on Twitter. I got caught up in this election’s “veepstakes” and debating the various women under consideration by former Vice President Joe Biden as his future vice president, and it was satisfying to share my thoughts on the final choice, Sen. Kamala Harris of California. I’ve faithfully watched every episode of Crooked Media’s YouTube series. God help me, I even like the Lincoln Project ads. But indulging my desires these days always comes with a side dose of existential dread. Ads, speeches, campaign strategy — all the usual detritus of a normal political cycle — are minor concerns in the face of the only story that really matters right now: Donald Trump is trying to destroying the U.S. Postal Service in order to keep votes by mail from being delivered on time and counted. This election, at the end of the day, is coming...
    Amanda Marcotte August 14, 2020 5:00PM (UTC) I'm as big a political junkie as they come. I love reading polls, monitoring their day-to-day fluctuations, like a fantasy sports bettor studying blocks of player stats. I not only watch politicians give speeches, I engage in blow-by-blow commentary by my fellow junkies on Twitter. I got caught up in this election's "veepstakes" and debating the various women under consideration by former Vice President Joe Biden as his future vice president, and it was satisfying to share my thoughts on the final choice, Sen. Kamala Harris of California. I've faithfully watched every episode of Crooked Media's YouTube series analyzing various campaign ads. God help me, I even like the Lincoln Project ads.  : But indulging my desires these days always comes with a side dose of existential dread. Ads, speeches, campaign strategy — all the usual detritus of a normal political cycle — are minor concerns in the face of the only story that really matters right now: Donald Trump is trying to destroying the U.S. Postal Service in order to keep votes by mail from being delivered...
    The American people are going to have to consider the Democratic Party’s position on defunding the police after Sen. Kamala Harris was added to the ticket as Joe Biden’s running mate, said former acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker on Thursday. “It’s very interesting how it appears that Sen. Harris, kind of on the issue of law enforcement, has her finger in the wind,” Whitaker told “Fox & Friends," referring to some conflicting positions from the former Democratic presidential candidate. KAMALA HARRIS’ FLIP-FLOPS BACK UNDER A MICROSCOPE AFTER VP SELECTION Harris, who was officially announced as Biden's running mate Tuesday, has switched her stances on multiple issues throughout her time in public life, beginning as a local prosecutor in the early 2000s. Those positions are now back in the spotlight, as the Trump campaign tries to tag her as "phony" and the newly named Democratic ticket prepares to present a united and consistent message going into next week's national convention. Harris' changes of heart cover issues like whether the government should abolish private health insurance, whether recreational marijuana should be legalized and more. Such switches have...
    SAN ANTONIO – The president and CEO of the San Antonio Food Bank worries that they won’t be able to keep up with the demand as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. “And I think it’s that uncertainty that, for me, makes me look at our inventory to say, you know, can our inventory keep up the amount of demand that’s on it? Will we have enough food to make sure no one goes hungry?” Eric Cooper said. Cooper said he also worries about whether people will be able to economically recover from something so unexpected. “We want families shopping. And that’s when they have a job, when they have their own income, when they can be self-sufficient and self-reliant. And so, the uncertainty of the future creates the stress,” he said. Recently, the food bank has a seen a small increase in demand as many federal benefits have run out. Many families are seeking help for the first time. SA Food Bank officials concerned demand may spike after several assistance programs end this week “More than half of who’s been coming,...
    Crystal Cox/Insider Vitamin D does not reduce the risk of depression, despite the commonly-held belief, according to a new study of more than 18,000 older adults.  Previous research suggested that increased risk of depression is linked to a lack of vitamin D, known as "the sunshine vitamin." Researchers found clear evidence that vitamin D supplements did not improve mental health compared to a placebo in older adults. More research is needed to see whether it may benefit more at-risk groups.  Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Despite the commonly-held belief that a little sunshine can brighten up your mood, research suggests that vitamin D does not reduce the risk of depression in the long-term.  Vitamin D, known as "the sunshine vitamin" because we produce it naturally when our skin is exposed to sunlight, is no better than a placebo in boosting mental health over time, according to a study published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).  Researchers from several medical institutions looked at 18,353 adults aged 50 and older who did not have...
    Peter Cade / Getty People who receive Botox injections for a range of ailments are less likely to report depression than those who receive other treatments for the same ailments, a study suggests.  The results are surprising because past and ongoing research has only linked Botox in the face to lessened depression.  More research is needed to understand why Botox seems to have an antidepressant effect, and to determine the best place to inject for depression relief.   Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. Get Botox for wrinkles, migraines, incontinence, or excessive sweating and you may benefit from a pleasant side effect: less depression, according to a comprehensive study out July 30 in Scientific Reports.  For the study, researchers used the FDA's Adverse Effect Reporting System (FAERS) database to review nearly 40,000 people's experiences with Botox. They found that people who received Botox for a variety of conditions reported depression 40 to 88% less than people who received other treatments for those same conditions. Put another way, it seems you're less likely to experience depression if you choose...
    (CNN)As scientists race to develop a Covid-19 vaccine, thousands of people have expressed their interest in participating in clinical trials that would expose them to the virus. Many of these people are eager to help in the name of saving lives and willing to take on any potential risks. But should they be so eager to participate?Usually, vaccines are developed over the course of several stages, starting with testing in petri dishes and animals. The small fraction of these that show some promise then enter several phases of human trials, where researchers administer the vaccine to an increasing number of people while monitoring the dosage and assessing side effects and efficacy. In Phase 3 (the last phase before FDA approval), researchers separate the participants into two groups, and administer the vaccine to one group while giving the other a placebo. Researchers typically wait several months as the participants lead their lives, going to work, seeing family members or taking public transportation. If fewer people who received the vaccine than those given the placebo end up getting infected, it is deemed...
    BOSTON (CBS) – Dr. Mallika Marshall is answering your coronavirus-related medical questions. If you have a question for Dr. Mallika, email her or message her on Facebook or Twitter. Dr. Mallika is offering her best advice, but as always, consult your personal doctor before making any decisions about your personal health. A number of viewers want to know whether it’s safe to see a dentist at this time. Most practices are taking extra precautions, including disinfecting between patients, wearing PPE and using more suction to reduce the droplets released into the air. You can call your dentist to find out what they’re protocols are following and ask whether you should be seen now for a cleaning or a crown, for example. “I know a lot of people in the United States have COVID-19, but you never hear about how many people have recovered. Why is that?” – Matt States report when people are diagnosed with coronavirus but don’t have to report when a patient has recovered, and the definition of recovery varies depending on where you are. For example, you could be considered recovered when...
     A seven-year-old boy died on Wednesday after a boat he was in with 'over nine people' capsized in the Chicago river.  Victor Lobato, from Little Village, was on the boat as it capsized at around 6.40pm near the 1500-block of South Lumber Street in Chinatown.  Police share that the boat capsized and drifted three blocks down to 18th Street by the time first responders were able to rescue the occupants, ABC 7 Chicago reports.     Victor Lobato, from Little Village, died on Wednesday after the boat he was in capsized in the Chicago River Walt Disney Privacy Policy 'If you look down the river the accessibility of where we actually found the victim versus where we retrieved everyone else. We're talking almost three block down river,' said Deputy District Chief Carmelita Wiley-Earls, CFD. According to fire officials, there were at least nine people on the 'small craft' and it is unclear whether the passengers were wearing life vests.   'There was over nine people in the boat,' said Chief Patrick Maloney, CFD. 'It was a small craft, kind of pretty...
    Washington (CNN)Months into the coronavirus pandemic, much about the disease remains unknown. As several countries attempt to regain a sense of normalcy despite recent surges in cases, politicians and scientists alike are working to better understand how the virus spreads and how best to prevent future outbreaks. At the core of these efforts are a few critical questions: Can children transmit the virus? If you get the virus, how long are you contagious? Afterwards, are you immune or can you get re-infected? The answers to these questions will influence not only how countries reopen schools and offices but also have implications for how useful any eventual vaccine will be.Animating the debate on one particular point are some comments that Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul made in a July interview in which he claimed that he, along with millions of others, are now immune from the coronavirus because they had already been infected. Back in March, Paul became the first US senator to test positive for the virus. Paul is a medical doctor and trained ophthalmologist.While discussing who would likely get...
    Mary Trump, President Donald Trump’s niece, defended her bombshell claims about her uncle in her first major interview on her new book: Too Much and Never Enough. Speaking to ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, Mary Trump said the first thing the country ought to know about her uncle is “he is utterly incapable of leading this country, and it’s dangerous to allow him to do so.” ABC previously previewed how Ms. Trump wants her uncle to resign from the Oval Office, but she also seemed to take things further at one point by speaking about what she hopes to see in the near future. “This country is on a precipice,” she said, “and we have a decision to make in the not too distant future about who we want to be and where we want to go as a country. It’s hard for me to process just how many awful things are going on simultaneously on a daily basis, and people need to know. People need as much information as is available in order to make a decision that makes sense...
    DONALD Trump has said people "love" the Confederate flag and that its supporters were "not thinking about slavery". The president was speaking amid renewed calls for monuments and other symbols of the Confederacy to be removed from public spaces following weeks of protest over racial inequality. 3 President Trump said people 'love' the Confederate flag and that supporters were 'not thinking about slavery'Credit: CBS 3 The comments follow protests that have led to the removal of Confederate monuments from public spacesCredit: AP:Associated Press The Confederate flag is viewed by many in the South as a symbol of Southern heritage and states' autonomy, but opponents say it glorifies slavery and racial segregation. The current unrest was sparked by the death of George Floyd, an African-American man, during an arrest by a white police officer in Minneapolis in May. Recent weeks have seen statues to Confederate figures pulled down by protesters and removed by local authorities as well as the banning of the Confederate flag at NASCAR events. Trump has criticised what he called a "campaign to wipe out our history", but...