Web Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wednesday, Dec 07, 2022 - 22:15:47
88 results - (0.007 seconds)

Argentina fans:

latest news at page 1:
    LIONEL MESSI has been left out of Argentina’s World Cup qualifiers against Chile and Colombia as he continues to recover from Covid. The Paris Saint-Germain star, 34, revealed last week he had ‘almost recovered’ after being struck down with coronavirus over the festive period. 1Lionel Messi is out of the Argentina squad as he continues to recover from CovidCredit: EPA But Argentina boss Lionel Scaloni has opted against risking Messi for the upcoming crunch clashes, instead giving chances to Brighton’s Alexis Mac Allister and River Plate's Julian Alvarez. It means footy fans are unlikely to see Messi back in action until February at the earliest. The legendary forward and his family travelled home to Argentina to celebrate Christmas and New Year. But shortly after attending a concert in Rosario, Messi confirmed to fans that he had received a positive Covid test. He was able to return to Paris this month following a negative result. But Messi is yet to feature for the French giants in 2022. Most read in Premier LeagueUNITED LATEST Cristiano Ronaldo injury LATEST, Milinkovic-Savic back on for £67mTRANSFERS LIVE Chelsea...
    Football icon Diego Maradona was buried without his diseased heart to prevent fans from stealing it, according to a top doctor who also works as a journalist. Nelson Castro, 66, a doctor and writer from Argentina hosts a political debate show on TV channel Todo Noticias called 'El Juego Limpio' - which translates to mean 'Fair Game'. And while appearing on another show, 'La Mesa de Juana Viale', Castro was speaking about his new book 'Diego's Health' focusing on former footballer Maradona. During his appearance on the show, Castro claimed the football legend had been buried without his heart after it was learned there was a plan to steal it. Neslon Castro, 66, a doctor and writer from Argentina (pictured), was appearing on 'La Mesa de Juana Viale' when he claimed former footballer Diego Maradona was buried without his diseased heart to prevent fans from stealing it Diego Maradona (file image from 2007) died in his sleep on November 25, 2020, after suffering cardiac arrest Instead, he said, the body that was buried during a private funeral next to his parents at...
    SAO PAULO (AP) — Not long ago, Argentina supporters didn’t have much affection for Lionel Messi. He was respected for all those Ballon d’Ors but considered cold-hearted in comparison to Diego Maradona. Meanwhile, Brazil fans felt represented by their star; Neymar was the soul of the Seleção because of his joyful style and goal-scoring hunger, another link to a long chain of Brazil greats. But the times have changed. Argentina is in love with Messi since the latest Copa America title, the striker’s first with his national team after a long history of disappointment. Beating Brazil 1-0 in the final in July ended a 28-year title drought for the Argentines, who saw their superstar in tears after lifting the trophy — a human touch many thought he wasn’t capable of. Messi’s performances in World Cup qualifying are cementing the fans’ adoration. He has six goals in 10 matches and Argentina is enjoying a less troubled campaign to reach Qatar than in previous qualifying runs. Last Sunday night, during Argentina’s 3-0 win against Uruguay at Monumental Stadium in Buenos Aires, the...
    (CNN)Lionel Messi scored a hat-trick in Argentina's 3-0 win against Bolivia to become South America's record goalscorer in men's international football.Messi's haul of 79 goals across 153 games tops Brazilian great Pelé's 77 in 91 games.The 34-year-old drew level with Pelé's record in the 14th minute of Thursday's game with a left-footed shot from the edge of the box, then moved ahead with a second-half goal that came via neat interplay with Lautaro Martínez.He had another goal ruled out for offside but completed his hat-trick when he converted a rebound late on.After the match, Messi was in tears as he celebrated Argentina's Copa América title in front of 21,000 supporters at the Monumental stadium in Buenos Aires -- the first time that fans could watch the national team since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic.Read MoreREAD: Haaland and Depay score hat-tricks as Norway and Netherlands secure emphatic World Cup qualifier victoriesMessi celebrates scoring against Bolivia.The trophy, which Argentina won in July with a 1-0 victory against Brazil, was Messi's first for his country. "I was really looking forward to enjoying...
    LIONEL MESSI scored a superb hat-trick in a 3-0 win against Bolivia to strengthen Argentina's bid to reach the World Cup finals in Qatar. The Argentine skipper, 34, broke down in tears after the match when the team presented their Copa America title to home fans for the first time. Lionel Messi equals Pelé for most international goals by a South American player! ????A beautiful curling finish from the PSG star to give Argentina the lead and equal the Brazilian greats international goalscoring tally at 77 ???????? pic.twitter.com/xJM4n3MtmN— Premier Sports (@PremierSportsTV) September 10, 2021 Its a hat trick for Lionel Messi! ????"The maestro has done it!" ????️ pic.twitter.com/JhE4fGuFQY— Premier Sports (@PremierSportsTV) September 10, 2021 1Lionel Messi and Argentina celebrated their Copa America triumph after their World Cup qualifier against BoliviaCredit: Reuters Messi goals against Bolivia make him the leading international male scorer from a South American country with 79, surpassing Pele's record of 77. The Paris Saint-Germain star opened the scoring in the 14th minute with a trademark left-footed strike on the dee, curling the ball into the top corner....
    BRAZIL take on Argentina in a World Cup qualifying Superclasico in Sao Paulo. The Selecao are looking to expand their lead at the top of South American qualifying and earn revenge for a Copa America final defeat in July. 1It's Neymar vs Messi again as Brazil take on ArgentinaCredit: EPA On that day, Angel di Maria scored the only goal at the Maracana to earn Lionel Messi a first international trophy. What time does Brazil vs Argentina kick off? Brazil vs Argentina will take place on Sunday, September 5. Brazil vs Argentina kicks off at 8pm UK time - 4pm in Sao Paulo. It will be played at the Arena Corinthians, Sao Paulo. The match will be used as a test event for the return of fans in Sao Paulo state, meaning 12,000 supporters will be allowed to attend. What TV channel is Brazil vs Argentina on and can I live stream it? Brazil vs Argentina is live on Premier Sports 1. Coverage commences at 8pm To stream the game live, head to the Premier Player. ...
    Getty Lionel Messi lies injured after a challenge by Luiz Martinez Lionel Messi may have left Barcelona but the forward is still very much in the thoughts of supporters who were left fearing for the Argentine’s career after he was the victim of a horror challenge while on international duty. The captain somehow managed to continue despite being taken out with a horrendous challenge by Luis Martinez. The incident occurred during Argentina’s 3-1 win over Venezuela in a World Cup qualifier the Estadio Olímpico in Caracas, as shown by ESPN. This tackle on Messi led to a red card ???? pic.twitter.com/KR8gpmBzxN — ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) September 3, 2021 Martinez was shown a straight red card for the challenge, while Barca fans were left angered by the defender’s actions and worried about the 34-year-old’s condition. Messi broke a defender's ankle with a pass so the guy who replaced him tried to break Messi's leg with the nastiest tackle! — adil (@Barca19stats) September 3, 2021 That tackle to Messi was brutal — •|dgSTAR???? (@DG_Migueroz) September 3, 2021 I'ma be surprised...
    Lali Esposito. Photo: Carlos Alvarez / . Lali Esposito It has a large number of fans who, for almost two years, have not been able to enjoy its live shows due to restrictions due to the coronavirus pandemic. Now that the artist is part of “La Voz Argentina” as a jury, her fans are waiting for her at the doors of Telefe to see her from a distance. On one of these visits, the singer came out to say hello from a balcony and surprised with a vulgar gesture after they gave her a compliment. In the last hours, a video went viral where the Sky Rojo actress approached the terrace to meet her fans from afar, during a break from the singing reality recordings. In the clip, Espósito wore his renewed pink hair look and a tight black outfit. Let us remember that, while the current episodes of “La Voz” are being broadcast, the jury continues filming the following stages with different outfits. Among the shouts of excitement from the young women who...
    The cockroach is shown during an 2020 Tokyo Olympic broadcast NBC Viewers watching a preliminary round women's field hockey match at the Tokyo Olympics got an unusual shock this week when the broadcast chose to focus on a cockroach in the stadium during the final moments of the game. The strange choice of camerawork came in the dying minutes of a pool Olympic women's field hockey match between Argentina and Spain on Monday. With just over 5 minutes left in the game and Argentina holding a 1-0 lead, the camera cut to the creepy crawler scuttling across a ledge at the event. The roach's starring role can still be seen on NBC's recap of the event. The decision left many fans on social media confused.—Stephen Simadibrata (Blubasaur) (@stephen_simadi) July 28, 2021—❀ (@xocyara) July 29, 2021The Argentinan women's team would go on to win the match 3-0. Sign up for notifications from Insider! Stay up to date with what you want to know. Subscribe to push notifications
    Getty Lionel Messi celebrates winning the Copa America Leo Messi is still enjoying the fruits of his labor after winning one of the titles that evaded him throughout the entirety of his footballing career. After raising the Copa América trophy into the Carioca night last weekend, the Rosario native has changes the hearts and minds of many of his compatriots that prior to this criticized him severely for not having been able to win anything with his national team in four previous finals. Since then, each place he stopped showed him a great deal of affection and appreciation after bringing back to his country an international title. The latest stop in that “victory tour” was Surfside, a small beach town just north of Miami Beach. There he was seen at Cafe Ragazzi and as soon as news broke, hundreds of fans flocked the establishment to wait for him and find a way to give him thanks for his accomplishment. Surfside is just a couple of miles north of his multi-million dollar apartment over in Sunny Isles. So much...
    Getty Images Damian Lillard and Kevin Durant. Damian Lillard thought he was just suiting up for an exhibition with Team USA against Argentina in Las Vegas on Tuesday. Loyal fans of the Los Angeles Lakers in the stands had other ideas. Lillard scored 13 points in the 108-80 victory over Argentina but was reportedly hearing some recruiting pitches from fans using the moment to recruit him to LA, per Arash Markazi. “Lots of Lakers fans at the USA-Argentina game in Las Vegas making their personal pitch to Damian Lillard to join their team from the stands,” Markazi tweeted. “‘Come to Los Angeles!’ ‘L.A. loves you!’ ‘Future Laker Dame!'” Lots of Lakers fans at the USA-Argentina game in Las Vegas making their personal pitch to Damian Lillard to join their team from the stands. “Come to Los Angeles!” “L.A. loves you!” “Future Laker Dame!” pic.twitter.com/zKDPJfokqH — Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) July 13, 2021 The Laker fanbase has been excited about the prospect of landing the six-time All-Star guard following a report that he was disgruntled with the Trail Blazers and...
    More On: new york knicks How this former Knick made most of NBA Finals opportunity The LeBron-to-Knicks pipe dream may officially be dead New Knicks guard makes wild half-court buzzer-beater during Olympic exhibition NBA Mock Draft 2.0: Knicks grab a PG, Nets add center New Knicks combo guard Luca Vildoza hasn’t yet excelled in the first two Olympic exhibition games for Argentina, but his national coach says New York fans are going to be pleased next season. Knicks fans can finally see Vildoza as his Argentine squad faces Team USA on Tuesday at Las Vegas’ Mandalay Bay Events Arena in an Olympic exhibition at 6 p.m. on NBCSN. Argentina and Team USA have something in common. The two teams each have lost to Nigeria and Australia in these Vegas exhibitions. “Luca is definitely ready for the NBA,’’ Argentine coach Sergio Hernandez told The Post in a Zoom call Monday after Argentina was routed 94-71 by Nigeria. “I know he didn’t play good [Saturday] and today. He didn’t have good games. So many people can say he’s not ready. But...
    LIONEL MESSI dedicated Argentina's emphatic Copa America triumph to Diego Maradona and reckons he was with them every step of the way. Messi led Argentina to their first major trophy in 28 years on Saturday with a 1-0 victory over rivals Brazil. 4Messi dedicated Argentina's Copa America win to Maradona and the country's fansCredit: Rex 4He reckons the nation's icon Maradona was supporting them from beyond the graveCredit: Reuters And he believes the country's tragic hero Maradona was cheering them on from beyond the grave. The Argentine mega-star also paid tribute to his family, friends and countrymen for their perseverance throughout the Covid pandemic. Messi shared his emotions in an open letter which was posted on Instagram alongside a compilation of his four goals and five assists throughout the tournament. The 34-year-old wrote: "I want to dedicate this achievement to my family who always gave me the strength to continue. "To my friends who I love so much, and to all the people who support us and especially the 45 million Argentinians who suffered so badly with this bloody...
    Football fans have taken to social media to label Lionel Messi the greatest footballer of all time after he finally won a trophy with his country.  Angel Di Maria scored the only goal of the game as Argentina beat Brazil 1-0 in the Copa America final on Saturday night. The victory saw Messi claim his first piece of silverware with his nation, ending a drought he has often been criticised for.  Lionel Messi finally won his first major trophy with Argentina on Saturday evening  RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Emotional Lionel Messi says 'the happiness I feel is... Neymar left in TEARS after Brazil lose Copa America final to... Share this article Share Messi, currently a free agent after his contract at Barcelona expired, fell to the floor at full-time in a sign of huge relief, while his former team-mate Neymar was in tears after he was unable to inspire Brazil to victory. It was a huge hurdle crossed for the six-time Ballon d'Or winner, who has been a beaten...
    Getty Neymar and Messi embrace during a World Cup qualifier Neymar has reacted angrily to fans showing support for former Barcelona teammate and Argentina captain Lionel Messi at the Copa America ahead of the big showdown between Brazil and La Albiceleste in Saturday’s final. Some Brazil fans have not been shy in backing Messi and Argentina, including SporTV journalist Fabiola Andrade who wrote about her decision in a post on Instagram. She explained, “Before stoning me in a public square, let me explain: I love Brazil, Brazilian football…I have several Argentine friends. But I’m not going to root for Argentina in the Copa America final because of them, no. I cheer because I love #football and Leo Messi. This guy needs to win a title with his country’s shirt! For justice!” Neymar does not appear at all happy with the situation and responded with an angry post on social media where he showed his surprise that Brazilians could follow the team’s fierce rivals Argentina. He wrote on Instagram, “I am Brazilian with a lot of pride and with...
    NEYMAR has blasted Brazilians who are throwing their weight behind Argentina ahead of the Copa America final.  It is reported compatriots of the PSG and Brazil superstar - who are also Lionel Messi fans - will be cheering their nation’s fiercest rivals during their clash.  4Lionel Messi and Neymar will go head-to-head in the Copa America finalCredit: Getty These include Brazilian sports TV journalist Fabiola Andrade. She explained in an Instagram post: "Before stoning me in a public square, let me explain: I love Brazil, Brazilian football…I have several Argentine friends. But I'm not going to root for Argentina in the Copa America final because of them, no. I cheer because I love #football and @leomessi This guy needs to win a title with his country's shirt! For justice!" Brazil fans have struggled to get enthused by the tournament with a Covid pandemic raging and last-minute changes to the competition. Many would also like to see Messi finally lift an international trophy with Argentina. In an Instagram story Neymar, 29, wrote: "I am Brazilian with a lot of pride and...
    LIONEL MESSI played on with blood seeping through his sock last night, after being hacked down by Colombia's Frank Fabra. The Argentine superstar was playing for his country in the Copa America semi-finals, when substitute Fabra decided to hack him down. 5Messi played on with a bloody ankle against ColombiaCredit: Reuters 5Argentina's No10 was on the end of a terrible challenge by Frank FabraCredit: AFP Fabra, who plays in Argentina for Boca Juniors, was booked for his challenge on Messi in the 55th minute. But rather than go off, bloodied Messi stayed on to help his side reach the final. The 34-year-old helped his team get off to the perfect start, when he got on the end of Giovani Lo Celso's through ball before setting up Lautaro Martinez to score after just seven minutes. Colombia hit back in the second half, however, and equalised through Luis Diaz with 61 minutes on the clock. The semi-final meandered into a penalty shoot-out, with Messi among those to step up and beat David Ospina from 12 yards. And after Emi Martinez saved from...
    Getty Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero celebrate at the Copa America Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero offered a sneak preview of what fans can expect from the duo at Barcelona next season while playing for Argentina at the Copa America on Monday. The two players linked-up brilliantly for Messi’s second goal of the night in a comfortable 4-1 win for La Albiceleste which sealed top spot in Group A and a quarter-final tie against Ecuador on Saturday. Messi set up Papu Gomez for the opener, scored Argentina’s second from the penalty spot and added a superb third after a brilliant ball from Aguero, as shown by the Copa America’s Twitter account. #CopaAmérica ???? ¡Nivel de elite! La dupla Agüero????????Messi nos dejó este gol fantástico para el recuerdo ???? ???????? Bolivia ???? Argentina ????????#VibraElContinente #VibraOContinente pic.twitter.com/BgGfawBfKk — Copa América (@CopaAmerica) June 29, 2021 Barcelona fans seemed to enjoy the connection between the two players and shared their excitement on Twitter. Laliga isn't ready for Messi – Aguero linkup ????❤️ pic.twitter.com/vfvBhlJWtF — Srivatsa (@srivatsasri3) June 29, 2021 No F*CKing waaaay…....
    LIONEL MESSI inspired Argentina to a Copa America win over Uruguay then roared: Let's f***ing go! The Barcelona star set up Guido Rodriguez with a brilliant cross to score the winner. 2Lionel Messi sits in the bath in his pants surrounded by Argentina team-mates after their win over UruguayCredit: https://www.instagram.com/leomessi/ And he showed his relief with an explicit Instagram post immediately after the match. Alongside a picture of Messi sitting in a bath surrounded by five of his team-mates, he wrote: "Let's f***ing go! It was important to win today. "This will give us peace of mind for what's coming that will continue to be hard." Six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi, 33, has come under fire throughout his career for his performances at international level. His son even asked him why Argentina fans wanted to 'kill' him in 2019. Messi will be hoping his second man of the match award in his two games of this summer's tournament will change fans' minds. One described his display as a 'masterclass', while another called his skills 'insane' and called him the 'GOAT'....
    Bogotà, Colombia (CNN)The Copa America, South America's premier football competition, due to kick off June 13 in the Brazilian capital of Brasilia, is triggering a wave of strong reactions for a sporting event.The tournament was originally to be joint-hosted by Argentina and Colombia, but the organizers decided to pull it first from Colombia, due to the country's widespread social unrest, and then also from Argentina, due to a resurgence of the Covid-19 pandemic. Brazilian players and staff criticize Copa America in a public letterLast week, Brazil's president Jair Bolsonaro came to the rescue and boasted the country would see the tournament through, despite widespread opposition and the country's struggle to contain the Covid-19 pandemic. According to the World Health Organization, the country has recorded more than 17 million confirmed cases and 480,000 deaths. More than 70 million vaccine doses have been administered. Whether to host the tournament or not has quickly become a political question, with Bolsonaro's opponents pointing at the risk of spreading the virus even further, and his supporters claiming what Brazil needs now is to turn the...
    TWO hundred cops will guard the cemetery where Diego Maradona is buried to deter grave robbers. Argentine officials fear fanatical fans will plunder his plot in a bid to collect ghoulish mementoes of the World Cup superstar. 7Hundreds of cops will guard the cemetery where football legend Diego Maradona is buried 7Maradona had a heart attack following an op on a brain blood clotCredit: Rex Features 7Argentine officials fear fanatical fans will break into the cemeteryCredit: AFP The Ministry of Security said the strict measures would be in force for at least a week to “prevent any incident” at the Bella Vista cemetery on the outskirts of the capital Buenos Aires. Maradona, whose Hand of God goal knocked England out of the 1986 World Cup, died last week aged 60. He had a heart attack following an op on a brain blood clot. Last week, thousands lined up to see the national hero’s body lie in state. 'THE PEOPLE WORSHIPPED DIEGO' Many more lined the route of the funeral cortege, and cops fought running battles with fans. Officials now fear...
    DIEGO MARADONA'S heart of gold was on full display in a touching video showing the Argentine legend training with a double amputee. The incredible uplifting clip has been doing the rounds on social media following the World Cup winner's death this week. 3Diego Maradona's heartwarming video with Ali Turganbekov has resurfaced on social media 3The Argentina icon was involved in a training session with the double amputee 3Maradona's passing has led to many fans exchanging their favourite stories about the footballing great Maradona sadly passed away, aged 60, on Wednesday after suffering a heart attack at his home in Buenos Aires. Tributes have poured in from the likes of Pele, Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, David Beckham and Usain Bolt. His death has also left fans from all over the world reminiscing about the Napoli and Argentina icon's kind nature. And no video has better shown that than the time Maradona played football with double amputee Ali Turganbekov in 2018. The then-nine-year-old - who has also had a kickaround with Cristiano Ronaldo last year - first reached out to one of his...
    Supreme Court sides with religious groups in New York in a dispute over Covid restrictions Cuomo blames new conservative majority for High Courts COVID-19 decision Chaos in Argentina as soccer fans, police clash over access to Diego Maradona wake Tens of thousands of people gathered outside Argentina’s presidential palace Thursday to bid farewell to soccer legend Diego Maradona, a massive turnout that sparked violent clashes between cops and mourners as police tried to restrict access to the building. The 60-year-old football icon, whose death Wednesday shocked his country and the football world, was lying in state in the main lobby of the presidential Casa Rosada, which was open to fans seeking to honor the beloved World Cup champion. But the event descended into chaos when police tried to maintain order outside the building. Numerous impatient fans reacted by throwing bottles and pieces of metal fencing at the officers, some of whom fired tear gas and rubber bullets to control the crowd in the heart of Buenos Aires. Police tried to limit the number of mourners lined up...
    Tens of thousands of fans, many weeping but eager to honor Diego Maradona, filed past the coffin of Argentina's most iconic soccer star on Thursday. Fans blew kisses as they passed Maradona's wooden casket in the main lobby of the presidential Casa Rosada, some strike their chests with closed fists and shouting, “Let’s go Diego.” It was the sort of honor usually given heads of state, but few heads of state have ever aroused such loyalty or passion. On the street, the line to see Maradona's casket was more than 20 blocks long, and disturbances broke out at least twice as fans eager to view the casket clashed with security forces in front of presidential palace, interrupting the flow of visitors. CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM The casket was covered in an Argentine flag and the No. 10 shirt he famously wore the national team. Dozens of other shirts of different soccer teams tossed in by weeping visitors were scattered on and around the casket. Maradona died on Wednesday of a heart attack in a house outside...
    By ALMUDENA CALATRAVA and DEBORA REY, Associated Press BUENOS AIRES (AP) — Tens of thousands of fans, many weeping but eager to honor Diego Maradona, filed past the coffin of Argentina's most iconic soccer star on Thursday. Fans blew kisses as they passed Maradona's wooden casket in the main lobby of the presidential Casa Rosada, some strike their chests with closed fists and shouting, “Let’s go Diego.” It was the sort of honor usually given heads of state, but few heads of state have ever aroused such loyalty or passion. On the street, the line to see Maradona's casket was more than 20 blocks long, and disturbances broke out at least twice as fans eager to view the casket clashed with security forces in front of presidential palace, interrupting the flow of visitors. The casket was covered in an Argentine flag and the No. 10 shirt he famously wore the national team. Dozens of other shirts of different soccer teams tossed in by weeping visitors were scattered on and around the casket. Maradona died on Wednesday of a heart attack...
    BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Argentine police and fans who were lined up to see the casket of soccer icon Diego Maradona clashed on Thursday as authorities moved to shut down access to the Casa Rosada presidential palace ahead of a planned 4pm (1900 GMT) shutoff for the public wake. Images on local TV appeared to show canisters of tear gas being thrown, with riot police and others on motorbikes trying to hold back the crowd, desperate to pay respects to Maradona who died on Wednesday, aged 60. Thousands of fans had been queuing for more than a mile through the streets of Buenos Aires since early on Thursday to see the casket, which is lying in state before a planned burial later in the evening. "We were calm lining up and suddenly, the police started to fire rubber bullets. Crazy, I just want to say goodbye to Diego," Rubén Hernández, 35, told Reuters. Addressing the tensions, interior minister Gustavo Russo said that the procession with the casket would look to travel along the route where people were waiting, to allow...
    Diego Maradona's ex-girlfriend was unceremoniously turned away from entering the presidential mansion Thursday before dawn under orders from the Argentine soccer legend's former wife. Rocio Oliva arrived at Casa Rosada at 4:40am in hopes of saying farewell to Maradona, whose casket is lying in state, and was immediately informed by a security guard behind the gate that she was not allowed to enter the grounds. A teary-eyed Oliva's pleas to be permitted inside went unheard and she was instructed to return at 7am and wait online with tens of thousands of fans who had waited overnight to pay their last respects. 'I can not come at seven in the morning. That is crazy, that is crazy,' Oliva said on live television. 'You can not do this. I can not come. He wants me to come back at seven in the morning with all of the people.'  Oliva and Maradona dated for six and a half years before terminating their relationship in 2018.  Rocio Oliva (pictured), who dated Diego Maradona for six and a half years, was banned by the soccer legend's...
    BUENOS AIRES — Argentina’s stunned soccer fans sought each other out Wednesday to mourn the death of Diego Maradona, gathering by the hundreds in spots linked to the life of the legendary player. They gathered outside the humble home where he was born and raised in the Villa Fiorito neighborhood. They went to the stadium of Argentinos Juniors, where he started as a professional footballer in 1976. They stood at the historic La Bombonera stadium of his beloved Boca Juniors. More were at the headquarters of Gimnasia La Plata, the team he was coaching. “I am touched. I can’t understand it, I can’t see the reality. Diego will never die, today is the birth of the Maradona myth,” said Dante López, a physician who went to the Argentinos Juniors stadium, which carries the beloved player’s name. Fans put candles and flowers along the wall around the field. “Diego was Argentina in the world. He gave us joy and we will never be able to repay him for so much joy,” said Argentine President Alberto Fernández, who issued a decree...
    BRAZIL icon Marta has joined footballing greats in paying tribute to Diego Maradona.  The Orlando Pride striker, 34,  shared an emotional post on Instagram describing the Argentina hero as one of the 'Gods' of the game.  2Brazil icons Marta and Pele are among the football heroes who paid tribute to Diego Maradona Credit: Reuters View this post on Instagram A post shared by martavsilva10 (@martavsilva10) Maradona, who is widely regarded as one of the world’s greatest ever players, passed away, aged 60, after suffering a cardiac arrest. On Instagram Marta, who is a six-time Fifa World Player of the Year, posted a picture of herself sat next to the Argentinian icon.  In her message the Brazilian football heroine wrote: “We lost one of the Gods of the ball, a historical legend who inspired all of us professionals with his magic and love.” Maradona took the world of football by storm with his goalscoring feats for Argentina and for Napoli, with whom he won two Serie A titles.   The death of the striker, famous for his Hand of God and for...
    By Rupak Chowdhuri KOLKATA (Reuters) - Indian football fans gathered in Kolkata on Thursday to mourn the death of Argentine football legend Diego Maradona, whose mesmerizing performance and feats in the 1986 World Cup divided fan loyalties in the city. The 1986 FIFA World Cup in Mexico, which Maradona helped the Argentine team lift, was the first World Cup to be live telecast in India. His dribbling skills and legendary performances as he slalomed a path through defences during the tournament earned him and the Argentine team legions of fans in the country. "Maradona made people fall in love with Argentina," said Samudra Bose, who was among the hundreds that gathered in Kolkata to pay respects. "Before Maradona and the 1986 World Cup people were mostly fans of Brazil, but Maradona after the 1986 World Cup divided Kolkata in two halves." Kolkata, the capital of West Bengal, and the states of Kerala and Goa have long had large soccer followings in an otherwise cricket-crazed country. Maradona visited Kolkata twice and his connection with the city was cemented in 2017 when...
    Hundreds of kids and their families are headed to Arizona for a soccer tournament with 500 teams Trump grants ‘full pardon’ to Michael Flynn Argentinas soccer fans weep for superhero Diego Maradona BUENOS AIRES (AP) — Argentina's stunned soccer fans sought each other out Wednesday to mourn the death of Diego Maradona, gathering by the hundreds in spots linked to the life of the legendary player. © Provided by Associated Press Neighbors gather in front of the house where Diego Maradona was born in the Villa Fiorito neighborhood of Buenos Aires, Argentina, Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2020. The Argentine soccer great who was among the best players ever and who led his country to the 1986 World Cup title before later struggling with cocaine use and obesity, died from a heart attack on Wednesday at his home in Buenos Aires. He was 60.(AP Photo/Natacha Pisarenko) They gathered outside the humble home where he was born and raised in the Villa Fiorito neighborhood. They went to the stadium of Argentinos Juniors, where he started as a professional footballer in 1976. They...
    Tracking coronavirus case surges in the United States US visitors from developing nations to pay thousands in visa bonds AP WAS THERE: Diego Maradona ousts England at 1986 World Cup MEXICO CITY (AP) — EDITOR’S NOTE: The quarterfinal match at the 1986 World Cup encapsulated both the best and worst of Diego Maradona, who died Wednesday at the age of 60. © Provided by Associated Press FILE - In this June 22, 1986 file photo, Argentina's Diego Maradona, left, beats England's goalkeeper Peter Shilton to a high ball and scores his first of two goals at the World Cup quarterfinal soccer match in Mexico City. On this day: This was the day of the "Hand of God," when Maradona used his left fist to knock a ball past England's Shilton. (El Grafico via AP, File) He scored one of soccer’s most astounding goals, weaving through England’s midfield and defense before finding the back of the net. But, in one of the most infamous cheats in sports’ history, he also sneaked another past goalkeeper Peter Shilton by knocking the ball...
    By BARRY WILNER, AP Sports Writer MEXICO CITY (AP) — EDITOR’S NOTE: The quarterfinal match at the 1986 World Cup encapsulated both the best and worst of Diego Maradona, who died Wednesday at the age of 60. He scored one of soccer’s most astounding goals, weaving through England’s midfield and defense before finding the back of the net. But, in one of the most infamous cheats in sports’ history, he also sneaked another past goalkeeper Peter Shilton by knocking the ball in with his left hand. Adding insult to injury, he later coined one of the most infamous phrases in soccer history, crediting that goal to the “Hand of God.” AP Sports Writer Barry Wilner covered that famous match for The Associated Press. Thirty-four years later, the AP is making a version of his story available with photos. ___ Diego Maradona, Argentina’s brilliant striker, insisted that his team’s World Cup quarterfinal game with England was “soccer, nothing else.” As if to prove his point, Maradona scored twice to lead Argentina past England 2-1 Sunday in the first major sporting contest...
    Diego Maradona's surgery on a blood clot on his brain has been declared a 'success' despite worrying issues caused by his long history with drugs and alcohol, it has been announced. The footballing legend, widely regarded as one of the best to ever play the game, had a subdural hematoma - an accumulation of blood between a membrane and his brain - according to his personal doctor Leopoldo Luque. His PR team have now confirmed that the major surgery he had on Tuesday, less than a week after his 60th birthday, went well and he is now on the road to recovery.  Two of Maradona's five children were quick to take to social media to reassure their father's fans, with Jana writing: 'Now life is feeling a little lighter.' A few minutes later, Dalma posted: 'I just got out of the clinic I just want to thank everyone for the constant displays of love for my dad, my sister and me. Thanks to everyone who prayed for him!' Mr Luque, a neurologist, said the problem likely was caused by an...
    EMILIANO MARTINEZ has risked the wrath of Arsenal fans by claiming he has mad a 'step up' by moving to Aston Villa. The Gunners decided to cash in on the Argentinian goalkeeper with Bernd Leno unmoveable as No1 for boss Mikel Arteta. 2Emiliano Martinez has made an impressive start to his Aston Villa careerCredit: AP:Associated Press Villa came in with a £25m offer that was too good to turn down, and Martinez has made a super start to his career in the Midlands. Now, speaking to Sky Sports, the 28-year-old has admitted he HAD to make the move for first-team football. And he says it will only help his ultimate ambition of become Argentina No1. TRANSFER NEWS LIVE: Breaking news, juicy gossip and the biggest deals   He said: "I'm in the best shape of my career and when I didn't have the security of that game time, I wasn't sure about staying. "I'm fighting to be Argentina's number one, that's my dream. "Aston Villa is a massive club, I had no doubts over coming here. "Everyone thinks it's a...