Tuesday, Aug 09, 2022 - 21:16:42
13 results - (0.006 seconds)

Michigan prosecutors say:

latest news at page 1:
1
    (CNN) — Michigan prosecutors say the parents of accused Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley exposed him to years of “chaotic, toxic conflict,” and that they left him in an unstable home often with little supervision, creating a pathway to violence. In a court filing Thursday, prosecutors argued that evidence of Jennifer and James Crumbley’s personal problems, including an extramarital affair and substance abuse, should be allowed to be introduced at their trial. Attorneys for the couple have called the evidence “extraneous.” READ MORE: Test Results Found 'Low Presence' Of Chemical That Spilled Into Huron RiverThe parents were each charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter after their teenage son allegedly shot and killed four students and injured seven other people at Oxford High School in November. Prosecutors argued that Jennifer and James Crumbley played “a much larger role than just buying their son a gun,” and that there were many things the parents could have done, other than simply locking up the gun, that could have prevented the tragedy. They also argued the parents had “every reason” to know...
    (CNN)Michigan prosecutors say the parents of accused Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley exposed him to years of "chaotic, toxic conflict," and that they left him in an unstable home often with little supervision, creating a pathway to violence. In a court filing Thursday, prosecutors argued that evidence of Jennifer and James Crumbley's personal problems, including an extramarital affair and substance abuse, should be allowed to be introduced at their trial. Attorneys for the couple have called the evidence "extraneous." The parents were each charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter after their teenage son allegedly shot and killed four students and injured seven other people at Oxford High School in November.Read MoreAccused Michigan school shooters parents are expected to call him as a witness at their own trial, attorney says Prosecutors argued that Jennifer and James Crumbley played "a much larger role than just buying their son a gun," and that there were many things the parents could have done, other than simply locking up the gun, that could have prevented the tragedy. They also argued the parents had...
    Law enforcement allegedly noticed that Martin's truck had "severe front-end damage" when they initially confronted him at a Walmart store in Oshtemo Township the day after the crime. Martin had reportedly been out on a $300,000 bond since the initial charges in September, but Van Buren County District Court Judge Michael McKay recently said, "This is a very different set of facts" about the new evidence and developments regarding the grisly allegations. The suspect reportedly had the victim's cell phone in his possession. "I think he represents the most extreme danger to the public," said Van Buren County Prosecuting Attorney Kirk Metzger said. “Chilling doesn’t describe it." Martin’s lawyer – Jim Mequio – said, "We’re still waiting for reports and more evidence from the prosecutor’s office. From a legal standpoint, I’m not seeing the increase in charges will be justified."
    The parents of Ethan Crumbley ignored troubling signs surrounding their 15-year-old son for months before he allegedly opened fire, killing four students and wounding seven others at his Detroit-area high school last month, according to prosecutors. “[Jennifer and James Crumbley] were in a better position than anyone else in the world to prevent this tragedy, but they failed to do so,” Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said in a Thursday filing. "The evidence will further show that these Defendants willfully ignored the needs and well-being of their son and the threat he posed to others." McDonald pointed to a number of emotional incidents in Ethan Crumbley's life, including a friend moving away, their dog dying, and a series of "disturbing texts" as preliminary evidence of his "state of mind" and argues that "instead of paying attention to their son and getting him help, [Jennifer and James] bought him a gun." The prosecution alleges Jennifer and James Crumbley were aware of the gun's location in an unlocked armoire cupboard. Police and the prosecution also claim Ethan Crumbley was...
    (CNN)Prosecutors in a filing say the parents of alleged Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley are at a "greater risk of flight" now than when they were arraigned on involuntary manslaughter charges earlier this month and allege the couple "willfully ignored the needs and well-being of their son and the threat he posed to others."The filing was obtained by CNN affiliate WDIV. CNN is attempting to obtain the filing as well.Ethan Crumbley, 15, has been charged as an adult in the November 30 shooting at Oxford High School in Michigan that left four students dead. The shooting also left seven others -- six students and a teacher -- injured.Probable cause hearing for Michigan high school shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley postponed until January 7Crumbley faces one count of terrorism causing death, four counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of assault with intent to murder and 12 counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony. At arraignment the judge entered a plea of not guilty per a request from Crumbley's attorney. James and Jennifer Crumbley were arrested on...
    The mother of suspected Michigan high school shooter Ethan Crumbley texted him "Don't do it" as he unleashed a barrage of gunfire, killing four students and injuring several others, including a teacher, prosecutors said Friday.  The revelation came as authorities charged the teenager's parents – James and Jennifer Crumbley – with four counts each of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the Tuesday shooting at Oxford High School. The couple remains on the run and a "Be on the Lookout" (BOLO) has been issued. Their lawyers told Fox News they were returning to the area for their arraignment.  Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald outlined the reasoning to charge the parents during a Friday news conference where she revealed the chilling moments as gunshots rang out.  MICHIGAN SCHOOL SHOOTING SUSPECT ETHAN CRUMBLEY CHARGED WITH TERRORISM, MURDER: ‘NOT JUST AN IMPULSIVE ACT’ Ethan Crumbley, 15, allegedly shot and killed four students and injured seven others at Oxford High School.  (Oakland County Sheriff's Office) (Oakland County Sheriff's Office) Minutes after Crumbley allegedly walked out of a bathroom and opened fire inside the school...
    The suspects accused of plotting to kidnap and kill Michigan Gov. Gretchen WhitmerGretchen WhitmerThe governor who wouldn't let parents manage even a tiny portion of federal COVID aid Lawmakers must also serve as community organizers Florida RNC official called vaccines the 'mark of the beast': report MORE (D) over her coronavirus pandemic restrictions also discussed attacking Ohio Gov. Mike DeWineMike DeWineCincinnati mayor announces Ohio gubernatorial campaign The governor who wouldn't let parents manage even a tiny portion of federal COVID aid Ohio governor says vaccine lottery was successful MORE (R), prosecutors revealed Monday. Officials wrote in a court filing on Monday that two of the accused men, Adam Fox and Barry Croft, met with “militia” activists in June 2020 and “proposed attacking the governors of Michigan, Ohio, and Virginia.” Croft showed the group an improvised explosive device that “he had constructed for the purpose,” authorities wrote.  “Croft referred to himself as a ‘terrorist' who was going to ‘burn motherf---ing houses down, blow s--- up," prosecutors wrote.  The filing is the first time authorities said the men plotted to kidnap DeWine. Dan Tierney, a...
    Prosecutors in Michigan are reviewing the death of Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks, who died July Fourth from an apparent firework accident.  Novi Police Lt. Jason Meier said Monday that the investigation, which has been completed, will be reviewed by prosecutors because of the "high-profile nature" of the incident, adding that no criminal charges have been requested in the case. DAVIDSON: SUDDEN DEATH OF GOALIE HAS ‘FAR-REACHING EFFECTS’ "Due to the high-profile nature, we wanted an extra set of eyes (on the case)," Meier said.  Kivlenieks, 24, died of chest trauma earlier this month after being struck by a mortar-style firework blast. Police initially said Kivlenieks died after hitting his head on the concrete while getting out of a hot tub to avoid fireworks that were headed in his direction. An autopsy report the following day later revealed Kivlenieks was struck in the left side of his chest by an explosive shell while trying to escape from the hot tub and later died from his injuries, The Columbus Dispatch reported. CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM According...
    Recently discovered bomb materials have led federal prosecutors to request a 40-day extension to produce grand jury indictments in the kidnapping conspiracy case involving Michigan Gov. Gretchen Witmer (D), according to the Detroit Free Press. The new findings could result in new terror-related charges, the Press reported. "Firearms and explosive device components were recently recovered, and must be analyzed to determine whether charges under the National Firearms Act, explosives or anti-terrorism statutes are warranted," Assistant U.S. Attorney Nils Kessler said, according to the Press. Adam Fox and five other men are being held in custody and are currently charged under criminal complaints for allegedly planning to kidnap the Michigan governor. Fox, the alleged ringleader, was arraigned in federal court in Kent County, Michigan, the Press reported. "The FBI has collected hundreds of hours of audio recordings from confidential human sources and undercover agents, and is still in the process of collating that material," Kessler said in court filings, obtained by the Press. The men were arrested ahead of all of the evidence being processed due to evidence that they planned to abduct...
    City Hall in Monroe, Michigan. Google Maps Lee Mo uat was charged with a federal hate crime after prosecutors said he broke a Black teen's jaw with a bike lock during a confrontation at a Michigan beach.  Witnesses told investigators that Mouat confronted a group of teens at the beach because they were playing music loudly from a portable speaker.  He told the group that "Black lives don't matter," used the n-word multiple times, and threatened to "bash their heads in," according to a criminal complaint. If he's convicted, Mouat faces up to 10 years in prison.  Visit Insider's homepage for more stories. A 42-year-old man has been charged with federal hate crimes in a complaint in which prosecutors say he attacked a group of three Black teenagers at a Michigan beach, and broke one of their jaws with a bike lock. Prosecutors say Lee Mo uat confronted the group of teenagers at Sterling State Park in Monroe, Michigan, on June 6. According to a criminal complaint, witnesses told investigators that Mouat told the group "Black lives...
    Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl in 2018. Bumbling right-wing activists Jack Burkman, 54, and Jacob Wohl, 22, were charged on Thursday in an alleged voter suppression scheme. Prosecutors in Michigan say the duo was behind a robocall designed to intimidate people from particpating in the general election. Authorities said this robocall in August targeted “certain urban areas, including Detroit,” reaching 12,000 residents with a 313 area code number. On top of that, the AG’s office said that their counterparts in Illinois, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania reported similar robocalls to urban areas featuring high populations of people of color. As Law&Crime previously reported, Michigan authorities were looking into such robocalls as of August. The speaker was a woman claiming to be from a civil rights organization started by Burkman and Wohl. She told listeners to “beware of vote by mail.” “Mail-in voting sounds great,” she said. “But did you know that if you vote by mail, your personal information will be part of a public database that will be used by police departments to track down old warrants, and be used...
    A Michigan man pleaded guilty to targeting an African American woman because of her race and threatening to shoot her family at church last year, the Department of Justice (DOJ) announced this week. Prosecutors said Wednesday that 22-year-old Ronald Wyatt, whose race was not disclosed, admitted to targeting a woman identified as T.P. and “intentionally threatening physical harm” to her and obstructing her “free exercise of religion.” Wyatt, who entered his guilty plea in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan on Wednesday, made the admission as part of a plea agreement, the DOJ said. According to prosecutors, Wyatt admitted to using Facebook to send the woman a message in July 2019, saying, “See you at church on Wednesday night with my AK to put you and your [expletive] family down [expletive].” The DOJ said T.P. was known to regularly attend a church in Taylor, Mich. Eric Dreiband, assistant attorney general for the DOJ’s civil rights division, called Wyatt’s actions “reprehensible” in a statement and said the department “takes these matters very seriously and works to ensure that those...
    (CNN)A prosthetic mask, counterfeit driver's licenses, and personal information obtained on the internet. That's how federal authorities say a Michigan man allegedly managed to steal more than $100,000 from casino patrons in Michigan and Kansas. John Colletti even went as far as disguising himself as an elderly man to evade suspicion, federal prosecutors say. Colletti, 55, allegedly targeted his victims by illegally obtaining their personal information and then using counterfeit driver's licenses to withdraw funds from their personal bank accounts via self-service kiosks at the casinos, according to a federal criminal complaint unsealed in federal court in Michigan Thursday.The kiosks, operated by Global Payments Gaming Services, are used by the casino industry for bill-breaking, jackpot processing, cash withdrawals, cash advances, and ticket exchanges, among other services, according to the complaint.The kiosks require users to insert their driver's license and the last four digits of both their Social Security number and phone number before checking account funds can be withdrawn. Each victim had previously enrolled to have their bank accounts linked to their profile in Global Payments' "VIP Preferred Program," the...
1