Sunday, Sep 25, 2022 - 13:37:39
1000 results - (0.010 seconds)

as well:

latest news at page 1:
    By Jason La Canfora (CBS SPORTS) – Hall of Fame quarterback and Denver resident Peyton Manning is among football people closely watching the Broncos’ pending sale, with league sources indicating that he has already spoken to at least two potential suitors for the team. While the team is not currently for sale, and there is no set timetable as to when it will come to the market, there is a strong sense among many owners and many in the NFL office that the team could be in new hands next year. Early estimations are the franchise could sell for in the range of $4 billion, and, with the team in limbo for years and with the squabbles among the Bowlen heirs quite public, interested parties have been planning for years for the eventual transaction. Manning is well aware of the situation, given his tenure with the team and his roots in Denver, sources said, and has had contact with potential ownership groups to glean how he might be able to have a role both as a potential minority investor as...
    One of the men who died falling from the underside of a US evacuation plane at Kabul airport has been identified as a 22-year-old dentist.  Fida Mohammad was one of three people who died plunging from the C-17 plane on August 16 as thousands rushed the airport runway desperate to escape the Taliban.  Father Painda confirmed his son's death, saying he may have tried to flee the country in search of a job to pay off a loan he took out to pay for his wedding last year.  Painda was the one who loaned him some of the $13,000 for the extravagant nuptials, and says he is now wracked with guilt over the thought that he may have inadvertently pressured his son into risking his life. Fida Mohammad, 22, a dentist who owned a practice in Kabul and married last year, was one of three people who died falling from a US transport plane at Kabul airport Father Painda (left) says he is wracked with guilt over the death, worrying that Fida was trying to escape the country to...
    CRISTIANO RONALDO and Dean Henderson have offered their support to English striker Danny Hodgson after he spent his 26th birthday in intensive care. The Manchester United stars have wished the ECU Joondalup ace well after he was critically injured in an unprovoked attack at a Perth train station on September 4. 3English striker Danny Hodgson has been placed in an induced coma after being critically injured in an unprovoked attack 3Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has offered his support to the ex-Carlisle player Former Carlisle player Hodgson, who was part of the club's academy alongside Henderson, was struck from behind while celebrating the end of the National Premier League's Western Australia football season. He is now in a critical but stable condition after being placed in an induced coma, with his parents flying out to Perth to be by his side. But due to the strict hotel quarantine rules in Australia due to coronavirus, they are unable to visit him in hospital. Hodgson's story has sparked mass support from the football community in the United Kingdom and Australia, with Ronaldo...
    Mumbai: Revenue and Rural Development Minister Abdul Sattar is trying to provide better education in Zilla Parishad schools in the state. As part of this, Minister of State Sattar stressed that students from rural areas should be educated like Delhi Corporation schools. He also sent a proposal to the Rural Development Department in this regard. Following that, the Rural Development Department set up a study group of seven experts to study the educational activities in Delhi. He expressed satisfaction over the success of the Sattar initiative. Minister of State Sattar believes that students from rural areas should get good English medium education in Zilla Parishad schools. In today’s competitive era, students in rural areas also need to get all the latest education in the world with advanced technology. All the schools under the Corporation of Delhi have undergone major changes and improvements over time to improve the quality of education. The technology of teaching students in these schools, facilities for students and teachers, student ethics and discipline, and teaching methods of teachers will be studied in detail and reported to...
    Her comment about President Biden's supposed foreign policy prowess arrived at a period when many have been lambasting the Biden administration for bungling the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan. A recent Quinnipiac poll of U.S. adults found that a whopping 65% disapprove of the way the president handled the withdrawal of American troops, while just 31% approve.
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said on Friday at an event in London at the Chatham House that capitalism has not worked as well as it could have in the United States and should be “improved.” “In America, capitalism is our system, it is our economic system, but it has not served our economy as well as it should,” Pelosi said. “So what we want to do is not depart from that, but to improve it.” “You cannot have a system where the success of some springs from the exploitation of the workers and springs from the exploitation of the environment and the rest, and we have to correct that,” Pelosi said. Pelosi also slammed Trump and the Republican Party at the event. The federal media outlet, Voice of America, reported on Pelosi’s remarks: Pelosi was also asked about U.S. politics and the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol by supporters of former President Donald Trump. The House speaker said the insurrection, which she said was “incited” by Trump, was rooted in “some kind of white supremacy, antisemitism, Islamophobia.”...
    Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said Friday capitalism “has not served our economy as well as it should” but insisted it is a system to improve rather than abandon. “In America, capitalism is our system, it is our economic system, but it has not served our economy as well as it should,” Pelosi said at a Chatham House event in the United Kingdom, according to Reuters. “So what we want to do is not depart from that, but to improve it.” Pelosi said “stakeholder capitalism” has historically been beneficial to the states as it has allowed both workers’ wages and management’s to rise as productivity increases, according to The Washington Post. Pelosi, however, criticized “shareholder capitalism” which she says causes employees’ salaries to remain the same despite a growth in productivity. “You cannot have a system where the success of some springs from the exploitation of the workers and springs from the exploitation of the environment and the rest, and we have to correct that.” Join @RobinNiblett and me at @ChathamHouse in London for a moderated conversation. https://t.co/r7uBXuZvP2 —...
    As students head back to school, districts across the U.S. are reporting theft and vandalism by students who are following a viral TikTok trend called "devious licks." Urban dictionary defines a "lick" as "a successful type of theft which results in an acceptable, impressive and rewarding payday for the protagonist." Aubrey Chancellor, executive director of communications at North East Independent School District in San Antonio Texas, confirmed to Fox News that its schools have seen broken light fixtures as well as soap dispensers, paper towel dispensers and mirrors ripped off of walls.  "It’s important for students to understand what they see on social media is not always a good idea in reality," Chancellor wrote in an email to Fox News. "The students involved face disciplinary action and are expected to pay restitution as well. If possible, charges may be filed as well." Students are vandalizing their schools as a result of a TikTok challenge (North East Independent School District) Dr. Toni Zetzsche, principal of River Ridge High School in New Port Richey, Florida, took to Facebook Monday addressing the recent school destruction related to...
    CRISTIANO RONALDO has urged Manchester United to ‘recover well’ after their shock defeat to Young Boys. The 36-year-old Portuguese star gave the Red Devils the lead after just 13 minutes in Switzerland on what looked set to be an easy opening night in the Champions League. 2Cristiano Ronaldo has broken his silence after Man Utd's defeat at Young BoysCredit: AFP But they fell apart following Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s red card for an ankle-high first half challenge. Young Boys levelled before Jesse Lingard’s nightmare backpass allowed the hosts to grab a 95th-minute winner. Ronaldo, who was surprisingly subbed off along with Bruno Fernandes with 18 minutes remaining and the scores tied at 1-1, has now broken his silence following the loss. In a message to his fans and team-mates on Facebook, he wrote: “Wasn't the result we wanted, but now it’s time to recover well and focus on the next game.” Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer blamed the referee and the astroturf pitch for his side’s implosion. Solskjaer said: “The game had gone 70-odd minutes, they’ve both been running a lot Saturday and...
    ANDREW Neil has stepped down as chairman of GB News just months after it launched, the channel has announced. The journalist and broadcaster, 72, has been absent from the channel after announcing a break two weeks into its launch. 1The 72-year-old journalist stepped down as chairman from GB NewsCredit: PA:Press Association He will continue to contribute to GB News as a regular guest commentator. He said: "I am sorry to go but I have concluded it's time to reduce my commitments on a number of fronts. "Over the summer I've had time to reflect on my extensive portfolio of interests and decided it was time to cut back." He added: "I wish GB News well in continuing to fulfil its founding promise and mission to reach audiences currently underserved by existing news broadcasters." A statement from GB News said: "Andrew is without doubt one of the finest journalists and interviewers in this country. "GB News thanks him for his 12 months of leadership, wisdom and advice, and we wish him well." More to follow... For the latest news on this...
    Brazilian football legend Pele remains in intensive care but is recovering well after surgery to remove a suspected colon tumour. The three-time World Cup winner, 80, has been receiving treatment at the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo since August 31. The suspected tumour was detected during routine tests and Pele underwent surgery on it last Saturday. Brazilian legend Pele is recovering in hospital after undergoing surgery on a colon tumour  View this post on Instagram A post shared by Pelé (@pele) RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Football legend Pele is 'feeling very well' after being... Brazilian football icon Pele insists he is 'in very good... Share this article Share His medical team said he was 'conscious, conversing actively and is maintaining normal vital signs.' Pele posted an archive image of himself on his Instagram account on Friday night with a positive update on his health. He wrote: 'My friends, with each passing day I feel a little better. I'm looking forward to playing again, but I'm still going to...
    A scene from a previous Gold Cup. (Courtesy Richard Clay) The International Gold Cup, one of the largest steeplechase events in the U.S., will be held on Oct. 23 at Great Meadow in Middleburg, Virginia, and limited spectators will be allowed. Last fall’s Gold Cup was livestreamed only because of the pandemic. “While the event will be livestreamed again this fall, there is nothing as breathtaking as being there in person,” said William Allison, chairman of the Virginia Gold Cup Association. “You can hear the hoof-beats and see the horses and jockeys, as well as the spectacular fall foliage around the area.” Tailgating along the rail may be breathtaking, but it’s not inexpensive. This fall, a rail spot that comes with 10 tickets is $895. Tailgating spaces one row back from the rail are $795, as well as $795 for a limited number of spaces on Members Hill. While attendance is returning, rail spots will be spaced out, and there will be no individual ticket sales. Gates open at 10 a.m., with the first race at 12:30 p.m. The equine...
    FIFTY is the new 40. Or is it 30? Or even 20? Jenny Powell is 53 but gets told she seems decades younger – and it is easy to see why. With her glossy mane and abs toned to perfection, she looks as good as ever and it is all down to hot yoga, clean eating — and toyboy fiance Martin Lowe, 47. 5Jenny Powell looks, and feels, as good as everCredit: Emma Phillipson 5The 53-year-old regularly gets mistaken for her daughter's sisterCredit: Instagram 5Jenny credits clean eating for keeping her young - as well as her toyboy fiance Martin Lowe Jenny, remembered for being the “glamorous assistant” on Wheel Of Fortune in the Nineties alongside hosts Nicky Campbell then Bradley Walsh and then John Leslie, met sports therapist Martin 11 years ago. She says: “It’s funny because Martin is six years younger than me and I remember my daughter Connie saying, ‘Does that make you a cougar, then, Mum?’ — and I had to go and look it up. “He has more energy and makes me do stuff I...
    HARRY MAGUIRE was booked a furious row almost erupted on the stroke of half time in England’s clash in Poland. The ref had just blown for the break before both sets of players suddenly started piling in to each other in the middle of the pitch in Warsaw. 2Harry Maguire was booked at half time after a melee between England and Poland playersCredit: Reuters 2Stars from both sides started squaring up after the whistle for the breakCredit: Reuters Poland's Kamil Glik was firstly led away by his team-mates as England skipper Harry Kane looked incensed. Glik tried to escape down the tunnel but the official called him back to issue him a caution. Ref Daniel Siebert continued to chat to the Pole as well as England defender Maguire. He then proceeded to flash the yellow card at the Manchester United ace as well - much to his bemusement. More to follow... Most read in FootballLive BlogPOLAND 0 ENGLAND 0 Latest from crunch World Cup qualifier as Lewandowski & Kane both startLive BlogGunners news Conte offer LATEST, Partey and White back...
    Getty Images NBA players are routinely viewed as having super-hero like strength, but one former All-Star is fighting for his life as he battles Covid-19 from the ICU. Cedric Ceballos shared a frightening image of himself, paired with a chilling message to reveal his battle with Covid on his 10th day in the ICU. The 52-year-old noted the virus was “kicking his butt,” and pleaded with “ALL family, friends , prayer warriors healers for your prayers and well wish for my recovery.” On my 10th day in ICU, COVID-19 is officially kicking my but, I am asking ALL family, friends , prayer warriors healers for your prayers and well wish for my recovery. If I have done and anything to you in the past , allow me to publicly apologize. My fight is not done….. Thx pic.twitter.com/r9QZBpfmEI — Cedric Ceballos (@cedceballos) September 7, 2021 “If I have done and anything to you in the past, allow me to publicly apologize,” Ceballos wrote in the poignant message. “My fight is not done.” It’s unclear if Ceballos was vaccinated against Covid,...
    The United States reached another dark moment in the COVID-19 pandemic over the weekend. The nation eclipsed an average of 1,500 COVID-19 deaths per day, the first time the mark has been reached in six months. When the 1,500 figure was last reached in March, though, the vaccines were not as widely available as they are now.  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also reports that deaths increased by 131 percent in August compared to previous months.  After the pandemic looked like it was nearing its end in late spring and early summer, the virus has roared back after a Delta-variant fueled summer surge. Unvaccinated Americans across the country have been hard-struck by the virus, accounting for nearly all deaths and hospitalizations from the virus in recent months. Some counties have even have to employ mobile morgue units to store the overwhelming amount of dead bodies. More than 1,500 Americans are dying from COVID-19 every day, the highest daily total since March. Many of the deaths are concentrated in the U.S. South. Pictured: A COVID-19 patient in...
    Portland city council is preparing to vote on an emergency resolution this week which will restrict goods, services and official travel to Texas in protest at the state's the new abortion law. Texas' SB-8 law, also known as the Texas Heartbeat Act, is the strictest abortion law in the country, and bans women from having abortions once a fetal heartbeat can be detected, which is usually around six weeks - before many women become aware of their pregnancy.  Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler says the City Council will hold a vote on the resolution on Wednesday, with the intent to ban Portland's 'future procurement of goods and services from, and City employee business travel to, the state of Texas.'  Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler (pictured) says the City Council will hold a vote on the resolution on Wednesday, with the intent to ban Portland's 'future procurement of goods and services from, and City employee business travel to, the state of Texas.' A group of people are gathered at the Times Square of New York City, United States on September 4,...
    THERE weren’t too many times I faced Cristiano Ronaldo and managed to cut him down to size. But it happened one day in 2013, when Real Madrid sent a full strength team over for a pre-season friendly at Bournemouth. 4Cristiano Ronaldo famously thumped home this free-kick for Man Utd against Harry Redknapp's Portsmouth in 2008Credit: Getty - Contributor 4Returning hero Cristiano Ronaldo is the perfect personality for the PremCredit: Getty Images - Getty They had just been promoted to the Championship and I took the grandkids along to see one of the greatest players of all time. It was a marvellous day for the town. Ronaldo, being the fantastic guy he is, was great with everyone as always, and when I asked if we could get a picture with the kids, he was good as gold. As I’m sure you know, I’m useless with any sort of technology, so someone else took the photo on my phone. Ronaldo posed for the pic, off he went, and the grandkids were delighted . . . until we looked and somehow the fellow who took the photo had...
    THE Great British Bake Off has left fans 'crying happy tears' after Channel 4 posted the first teaser for the new series. The short clip showed the camera hovering over some trees before gradually moving forwards towards the famous tent. 3The Great British Bake Off has released the first teaser for the new seriesCredit: Love Productions 3The post on the show's official Twitter didn't confirm a date but fans are still excited As the camera panned over the grounds, the opening bars of the show's famous theme tune could be heard. The show's official Twitter account wrote alongside the clip: "Loaf is in the air...The Great British Bake Off. Coming Soon." While no official air date was revealed, fans were still excited that they would be back at the 'gingham altar' very soon. One wrote on Twitter: "This is the kind of show that we need right now." Another added: "YES!!!!I am so ready to adopt and love all these talented and new bakers for the next 12 weeks." A third tweeted: "Thank god I absolutely love...
    A paper published by the International Journal of Drug Policy confirms what harm reductionists have been saying since the dawn of the movement: Coerced drug treatment causes more harm than good. Researchers first executed a systematic review to locate all papers available on the PubMed, EBSCOhost and Sociological Abstract databases that investigated the impact of addiction treatment programs on HIV and overdose occurrence. Then, using the studies that employed research methods that help standardize differences in study design, the researchers conducted a meta-analysis to combine their results. (Of the remaining studies, only two reported an association between coerced treatment and HIV occurrence, and their findings were inconsistent.) The analysis of combined studies—with subjects in China, Mexico, Thailand and Norway, as well as the United States—showed that people who underwent coerced treatment were much more likely to experience non-fatal overdoses than people who did not. People who received coercive treatment were over twice as likely to have a nonfatal overdose over the course of a lifetime, and almost four times likelier to have experienced one in the last six-to-12 months. As...
    "At a time when the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is warning of the potential catastrophic and irreversible damage inflicted by a changing climate, we need a leader at the helm that will take bold and decisive action to eliminate climate risk," the lawmakers declared. Powell was nominated to the Federal Reserve board by Democratic President Barack Obama in 2012, according to Politico. He was nominated by President Donald Trump in 2017 to serve as Fed chair, confirmed by the Senate in January 2018, and in February 2018 Powell was sworn in, according to Ballotpedia. Powell's term concludes in February and the president is expected to make his choice as soon as next month, according to Politico. "To move forward with a whole of government approach that eliminates climate risk while making our financial system safer, we need a Chair who is committed to these objectives," the lawmakers said. *Basements of homes flooded for the 3rd or 4th time in 2 months *Massive power outages that are lasting days while… https://t.co/xg4QXmDFPQ — Rashida Tlaib (@Rashida Tlaib)1630357359.0
    Araçatuba Mayor Dilador Borges told CNN that authorities continued to seek the remaining suspects. "It was horrific," Borges said, according to a New York Times report. "The police didn't come closer because they saw the hostages. The tragedy could have been far worse." According to the Washington Post, such raids — "shock and awe bank heists" — are increasing in their frequency. "The nighttime raids are intricately planned, well choreographed, and executed by well-financed groups equipped with the weaponry and gadgetry of war," the outlet reported. "Such attacks, orchestrated by what are thought to be specialized criminal groups, often follow a similar pattern. They occur at night, often in midsize cities, usually around the end or the beginning of the month, when banks are more likely to be filled with cash to pay out people waiting for public benefits." On Monday, the Times reported that 10 suspected gunmen were in police custody and that the three victims included one suspect and two residents. Capt. Alexandre Guedes, a military police official, told the...
    Original edition: Champions 1-5Departure date: 23 Jun. 202Script: Eve WingHe drew: Simone Di MeoFormat: softcover. 120 ppsPrice: € 13.00 After the very important event of Marvel: Civil War, the house of ideas began to propose an event with similar characteristics but with its more adolescent heroes. To do this, they orchestrate it with the same modus operandi: an incident in a public place, with a hero making a mistake that prompts the government to make a move. all this adding to it the adolescent perspective of the heroes that will bring some novelty and differentiation with respect to the event of the superheroes that they themselves call “tutors”. We cannot forget that all the numbers compiled in this softcover volume go back to the events that have already occurred in the independent series by Miles Morales: Spiderman, the sensational Ms Marvel and a oneshot entitled Alpha outlaws, all of which have already been reviewed on the blog. previously. I will summarize the story for you briefly and without getting into spoilers because it’s worth taking a look yourself. After...
    Ed Asner, the actor and activist best known for portraying Lou Grant on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and its subsequent spinoff, has died at age 91.  The actor’s death was announced through his official Twitter account Sunday, noting that he died peacefully. No cause of death was given, though.  "We are sorry to say that our beloved patriarch passed away this morning peacefully.  Words cannot express the sadness we feel. With a kiss on your head- Goodnight dad.  We love you," the tweet reads. Ed Asner arrives for the 11th Annual Burbank International Film Festival Opening Night at AMC Burbank 16 on September 04, 2019 in Burbank, California. (Photo by Gabriel Olsen/Getty Images) (Getty) As Deadline notes, Asner was the former president of the Screen Actors Guild as well as the most decorated male performer in Emmy history, with seven wins under his belt. While that made him well known in Hollywood, it was his time playing Lou Grant on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and its spinoff, "Lou Grant" that made him a household name throughout...
    I’ll never forget the day in 1983 when the producer Aaron Spelling called me in my dressing room on the set of Dynasty, the 1980s American drama series that brought back shoulder pads, tiny waists and silhouettes more flattering than an Italian waiter. I had already completed two seasons as Alexis, ex-wife of the show’s leading man Blake Carrington, an oil tycoon, and Aaron clearly felt it was time my character moved on. ‘We’ve got five actors we’re considering to play your next husband and I want you to meet them,’ he said.  ‘Oh!’ I replied. ‘You mean I get to choose?’ ‘Of course you do,’ said Aaron. ‘You’re going to be spending a lot of time with him. You’ll marry him eventually but you’ll have some ups and downs along the way.’ Before I could stop myself I blurted out: ‘I just hope he’s better than Blake...’ Of all my Dynasty husbands, he was far and away the best looking, the best actor and the most charming, and I was extremely happy to have married him. (Sorry, Percy!)...
    The Delta variant doubles the risk of hospital admission, a study has found. It was already known that the Covid strain first identified in India is up to 50 per cent more transmissible than the previous dominant Alpha variant, which emerged in Kent. But the largest study to date comparing the two now shows those infected with the Delta strain are 2.26 times more likely to be admitted to hospital.  Delta is also 1.45 times more likely to see people entering A&E needing emergency treatment. The Delta variant doubles the risk of hospital admission, a study has found  Scientists claimed this is more proof that the same traits which make the variant spread faster also increase levels of the virus in those it infects, which results in them becoming more severely ill. The authors of the study, led by Public Health England and Cambridge University, said their results should be used by hospitals to plan – especially in areas where the Delta variant is on the rise. RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Get ready...
    CONOR MCGREGOR showed off his new haircut as he returned to the gym. The Notorious has been busy rehabbing his broken leg, sustained against Dustin Poirier at UFC 264. 4Conor McGregor showed off his fresh new trimCredit: Instagram @thenotoriousmma 4The Notorious also showed fans some of the weight work he's been doingCredit: Instagram @thenotoriousmma But after successful surgery, McGregor is starting to step up his recovery. And he is determined to look sharp while doing it. The typically dapper star took to social media to show off his new look. With a trademark scowl on his face, the 33-year-old revealed his new fade to the camera. He has taken to the octagon for his last two fights with a shaven head But perhaps with a different, fresh look, the Irishman can get back to winning ways next time out. Most read in MMALive BlogTRANSFER NEWS LIVE Ronaldo 'offered £230,000-a-week by Man City, Kane fined two weeks wagesLive Blogunited news United lead Haaland race, Ruben Neves, Saul, Camavinga and Trippier latestMESS-ED UP Portuguese league overtakes Ligue 1 so Messi NO LONGER...
    The late conservative Arizona Sen. Barry Goldwater was spot on when he warned, in the early 1980s, that if the Republican Party pandered to the Christian Right, it would never break free of its toxic influence. Forty years later, countless MAGA Republicans jump through hoops to win over far-right White fundamentalist evangelicals. And a perfect example, according to The Bulwark's Jim Swift, can be found in Ohio's GOP 2022 U.S. Senate primary. "Hillbilly Elegy" author J.D. Vance and former Ohio State Treasurer Josh Mandel are among the Ohio Republicans who are hoping to take over the U.S. Senate seat presently held by Sen. Rob Portman, who has decided not to seek reelection. Portman is a right-wing conservative, but he isn't extreme or radical enough for the MAGA crowd. Vance and Mandel are going out of their way to show how MAGA they are, and an important part of that is winning over the White evangelical vote. "The Ohio GOP primary race for the U.S. Senate seat up for grabs in 2022 seems to be a contest of demagogic fakery between...
    CHICAGO (CBS) — There’s that old cliché – third time’s a charm. But sometimes, there’s another more discouraging cliché that applies – it’s one, two, three strikes you’re out at the old ball game. That is the idiom that one Chicago woman feels is more applicable right now when it comes to her situation with the mail. READ MORE: Suspect Wanted On Warrants In California, Including One For Murder, Is Shot And Killed By Amtrak Police At Union Station Tracy Reed-Bowers mailed not one, not two, but three certified letters from the same Chicago Post Office. Now, she is turning to CBS 2’s Lauren Victory for answers, following months of postal frustration. “No one can explain to me what happened to my letters,” Reed-Bowers said. “I don’t know what to do. Reed-Bowers is a wife, mother, and essential worker. And for the purposes of our story, she is a Post Office customer. “Those letters were time-sensitive,” Reed-Bowers said. Let’s rewind to March. At that time, Reed-Bowers brought an envelope to a Post Office on South Ashland Avenue. According to postal...
    Tales of heroism started to emerge from Tennessee this week after recent catastrophic flooding that resulted in deaths as well as people unaccounted for. The stories include those of a U.S. military veteran who died after saving his family members, a helicopter pilot who saved residents who were trapped on their rooftops, and a pair of brothers using a jet ski to rescue neighbors. Dad opens door to safetyIn Waverly, one of the hardest-hit communities, Rachel Reeves spoke about her father, a veteran who she said spent the final moments of his life saving family members from raging floodwaters. TENNESSEE OFFICIALS SAY DAMAGE FROM FLOODS WORSE THAN PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT; BIDEN APPROVES DISASTER DECLARATION Joseph Reeves helped get his wife, who has stage 4 cancer, and Rachel’s 18-year-old sister to safety before the floodwaters took him, she told FOX 17 of Nashville. He managed to open the door of their home as water accumulated inside, she said. "Without my dad holding that door for them to get to safety, they would’ve never got that door open," Rachel Reeves told the station....
    CHCIAGO (CBS) — From his hospital bed on Tuesday, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said he is doing “fairly well” as he fights COVID-19 at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. The 79-year-old civil rights leader was admitted to the hospital over the weekend along with his wife, Jacqueline, after both tested positive for coronavirus. READ MORE: Suspect Wanted On Warrants In California, Including One For Murder, Is Shot And Killed By Amtrak Police At Union Station Son Jonathan Jackson said Sunday that both were responding well to treatments. He said their condition was unchanged Tuesday, and both were resting comfortably. READ MORE: West Chatham Neighbors Say Car Meetup Is Dangerous; Video Shows Gunfire, Person Being Hit By Car “We continue to be eternally grateful for the thousands of prayers and well wishes that our family continues to receive,” Jonathan Jackson said in a statement. “We are continuing to remember you, and we are praying for all who are suffering from the COVID-19 virus. We will have nothing further to say until tomorrow’s update.” Rev. Jackson, 79, was fully vaccinated, according to a representative...
    "So, I know [President] Joe Biden cares, to his great credit, I know the team's working nonstop, but they've got to make this a central priority," Di Blasio continued. "Get that vaccine ready for the 5- to 11-year-olds. And then there's not even a question anymore about our schools. Everyone in the school building at that point could be vaccinated, should be vaccinated."How did folks react?A number of observers didn't take kindly to de Blasio's use of "carrot and stick" as a motivation for humans: "Here's my stick: anyone who requires a vaccine checkpoint won't get my money. These checkpoints set a dangerous precedent that anyone using their brain can see," one commenter said. "And I'm vaccinated, so even [sic] go there." "Politicians do well when we have tar and feathers," another user reacted bluntly. "De Blasio talking like he owns humans," another commenter wrote. "This is not a public servant, this is an overlord," another user declared. "When politicians use phrases like 'carrot and stick,' they are talking about humans like animals," another commenter said. "Completely dehumanizing the...
    There are many factors that are out of your control as an entrepreneur, but you have control over hiring. Building an effective team will determine the success of your business. According to Kinan Salameh, there are two parts to this; first, you need to hire the right people then coalesce them into a great team. Kinan Salameh is a serial entrepreneur who is in marketing, events, real estate, and Promi-consulting. He is the managing director o six different companies and specializes in building teams to scale businesses. From his experience in business, here are his three actionable tips to help you build an efficient team. Create Relationships An effective team needs to be on the same page and how they relate to each other. To move forward unabated, the team should have a strong relationship. Kinan Salameh explains that to achieve this, you need first to regard each member as an individual and their contribution and then create teams that will work well together. Various people are best suited for different activities; it is important to figure out...
    This is the moment an Afghan comedian continued mocking the Taliban as fighters from the insurgent group dragged him away from his home before later executing him by firing squad. In a viral video filmed at the end of July, Nazar Mohammad, better known as Khasha Zwan, can be seen in the back of a car with an insurgent on either side of him - one of them brandishing a Kalashnikov machine gun.  The brave comic - known for his TikTok videos - continues making jokes about the group, causing the Taliban fighter to his right to begin slapping him across the face. The man to his left is seen laughing throughout before menacingly switching his gun for an even bigger-looking firearm.  Nazar Mohammad (pictured centre) was filmed being taken away by the Taliban from his home in Kandahar province One Taliban brandishing a Kalashnikov can be seen in a video laughing as the comedian mocks the insurgent group Nazar was later killed after being shot multiple times.  According to reports, photos showed him backed up against a tree...
    There’s an increased number of respiratory illnesses among children in the D.C. region, according to a pediatric emergency medicine doctor who said they include common ailments in addition to COVID-19. “Respiratory illnesses includes anything from a simple cough and cold, all the way up through very severe pneumonia or bad cases of COVID, which I’m sure is on people’s mind,” said Dr. Sarah Combs, pediatric emergency medicine attending and Director of Outreach for the emergency room at Children’s National Hospital. Detailing numbers of cases specific to Children’s National, Combs said 14 patients were hospitalized with COVID-19 as of Aug. 17. “Now, that may not sound like a large number, and definitely in comparison to adult populations, it’s not a big number, but you want to put that in context — that when we were in our peak of COVID here in D.C. back in late 2020 and going into 2021, our peak number was 18 hospitalized COVID patients,” she said. “So we definitely seem to be rapidly getting up back towards that peak number, seeing higher numbers of COVID cases...
    ROMELU LUKAKU led the line for Chelsea in a confident 2-0 win over Arsenal. Only 14 minutes into his second Blues debut, the Belgian striker registered his first-ever goal in a Chelsea shirt. 4Romelu Lukaku hit his first Chelsea goal 14 minutes into the winCredit: Richard Pelham / The Sun Reece James set up the first and scored the second himself to round off the scoring in something of a cruise for Thomas Tuchel's side at Emirates Stadium. Here, SunSport's Simon Phillips delivers his verdicts on the Blues' stars from Sunday's win. Edouard Mendy - 8 The goalkeeper had a quiet first-half but his distribution was very good. He was brilliant at mopping up anything that came through to him and made a few decent saves in the second-half. Most read in FootballLive BlogARSENAL 0 CHELSEA 2 James on target for dominant Blues after Lukaku strikes on second debutunited news Paul Pogba new contract, Erling Haaland £64m release clause LATESTGunners news Chelsea game build-up, Odegaard NOT in squad, Bellerin-Trippier swapLive BlogTRANSFER NEWS LIVE Man City to step up £120m Kane...
    Joe Biden will speak with G7 leaders in a virtual meeting on Tuesday to discuss the ongoing chaos in Afghanistan, the White House announced on Sunday. The world leaders will talk about continued cooperation between the nations as the Taliban overruns Afghanistan, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said in her statement on the upcoming meeting. 'The leaders will discuss continuing our close coordination on Afghanistan policy and evacuating our citizens, the brave Afghans who stood with us over the last two decades, and other vulnerable Afghans,' Psaki's statement reads. 'They will also discuss plans to provide humanitarian assistance and support for Afghan refugees,' she continued. 'The meeting will build on President Biden's calls this week with G7 leaders Prime Minister Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom, Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany, President Emmanuel Macron of France, and Prime Minister Mario Draghi of Italy.'  President Joe Biden will participate in a virtual meeting with G7 leaders on Tuesday to discuss the ongoing situation in Afghanistan The G7 intergovernmental group includes leaders from Canada, France,...
    RACEGOERS have dressed to impress on the final day of the Ebor Festival at York racecourse. That's despite the threat of wet weather throughout the day. 6Racegoers pose as they arrive at York racecourseCredit: PA 6"Say cheese" - racegoers pictures at York festivalCredit: PA 6Both men and women in attendance have dressed up for the occasionCredit: PA Punters have enjoyed warm weather so far during the four day festival, but the rainclouds have rolled in today. It hasn't stopped racing fans dressing up to the nines though, with some impressive outfits on display. Some have even opted for hats displaying a bouquet of flowers. Others have gone for more regulation style hats, but everyone is dressed up in their best outfits for today's racing. York racecourse is back up to full capacity after Covid restrictions have been relaxed, and an array of striking dresses and smart suits are on show today. Some have opted for the plain look, while a floral theme is also a popular choice. 6Punters posing with their floral...
    CONOR McGREGOR is back training with his leg cast OFF just five weeks after surgery as he plots his UFC return. McGregor suffered a broken tibia seconds before the end of round one in his trilogy bout with Dustin Poirier in July. 4Conor McGregor is back training with his leg cast OFFCredit: Instagram @thenotoriousmma 4Conor McGregor is back training just five weeks after surgeryCredit: Instagram @thenotoriousmma He lost by doctor stoppage and immediately went under the knife in Los Angeles and was expected to be on crutches for six weeks. But it appears McGregor - who had revealed he was 'well ahead of schedule' - has made an even faster recovery. The former two-weight champion uploaded a video working out on an exercise bike just five days after his latest operation. McGregor, who beat Poirier in 2014 but was knocked out in the rematch in January, has eyed a FOURTH fight with the American after the unprecedented ending to their trilogy. But he is already serving a six-month medical suspension, while UFC boss Dana...
    Antarctica's 'Doomsday Glacier' is not only losing ice rapidly from climate change, but it's getting a double whammy from the heat of the Earth itself, a new study suggests. The Thwaites Glacier — which has been called the 'Doomsday Glacier' due to its impact on sea level rise — is being hit with heat from the Earth's crust, as it is only 10 to 15 miles deep below West Antarctica, compared to around 25 miles in East Antarctica. The 'Doomsday Glacier' is being hit with heat from the Earth's crust and climate change The Earth's crust is only 10-15 miles deep under West Antarctica, where the Thwaites Glacier (pictured) is located, compared to 25 miles in East Antarctica This results in an a 'geothermal heat flow of up to 150 milliwatts per square meter,' the study's lead author, Dr Ricarda Dziadek, said in a statement. According to the BBC, the Thwaites glacier contributes roughly four percent to annual sea-level rise and is now believed to be losing 80 billion tons of ice per year.  Since 1980, it has lost...
    CONOR MCGREGOR says his recovery from his horrific broken leg is 'well ahead of schedule'. The UFC's poster boy snapped his left tibia and fibula in the second round of his trilogy fight with Dustin Poirier last month, which he lost via first-round doctor stoppage. 4Conor McGregor suffered a horrific broken leg in his UFC 264 trilogy fight with Dustin PoirierCredit: Reuters 4But the UFC's poster boy is already back doing light sessions in the gym 4The Notorious recently claimed his recovery is 'well ahead of schedule' McGregor, however, has refused to sit idly by on the sidelines, getting in a number of light gym sessions in his protective boot. The Notorious visited his doctor in Los Angeles on Thursday night to check the progress of his recovery, which he claims is three weeks ahead of schedule. During an Instagram Live broadcast, the Irishman said: “Scan went well. Scan went very well. "To be back on the bike, I’m back on the bike before he said I was going to be able to bear weight. "I’m rocking (and) well ahead...
    CONOR McGREGOR teased linking up with Canelo Alvarez's boxing trainer and provided an injury update. McGregor, who suffered a horror leg break in July, addressed his fans in an Instagram Live video. 2Conor McGregor teased linking up with Canelo Alvarez's boxing trainerCredit: @TheNotoriousMMA 2Canelo Alvarez and coach Eddy ReynosoCredit: @caneloteam Among those tuning in was esteemed boxing coach Eddy Reynoso, who once welcomed the Irishman to his San Diego gym. And McGregor - who lost his boxing debut to Floyd Mayweather in 2017 - hopes to take Reynoso up on his offer. He said: "Eddy Reynoso, big fan of your work my man and what you're doing with those guys in the gym. One day we'll get to train, I hope so. "You know, like I said, I'm taking this 24 hours at a time, I'm confident but I'm going to take it day-by-day and see how this leg goes up. "One thing's for sure, I'll be able to box. So you know, I'll be out here until mid-October anyway I think, although I'll...
    HOW Dominic Raab must now regret his short-lived family holiday in Crete. Caught on the hop by the Taliban’s lightning-fast takeover of Afghanistan, our Foreign Secretary is reportedly in hot water with PM Boris Johnson. 2PM Boris Johnson and Dominic Raab during Afghanistan debate in recalled CommonsCredit: pixel8000 Even so, the calls yesterday for Raab’s sacking by his Labour opponent Lisa Nandy and her colleagues were crass. Having only last month backed the full withdrawal of troops so Afghans could “determine their own affairs”, Ms Nandy is no crystal ball-gazer herself. Mr Raab now needs to get a grip and ensure the UK takes a leading role in the international response. With Afghans being shot dead in the street and desperate mothers hurling babies over barbed-wire airport fences to get them to safety, there is no time to lose. There’s certainly no point looking to weakling US President Joe Biden, who continues to shuffle away from questions on the topic, and bizarrely claims he doesn’t even now know of any way “to have gotten out without chaos ensuing”. The lion’s...
    OAKLAND (AP) — Oakland Athletics ace Chris Bassitt has a broken bone in his cheek that will need surgery to repair but he sustained no eye damage after being struck on the side of the head by a line drive. Bassitt was taken to the hospital after getting hit by a ball from Brian Goodwin’s bat in the second inning of a 9-0 loss to the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday night. The veteran right-hander has shown no signs of a concussion and a scan of his brain was normal, though Bassitt can’t recall everything that happened during the ordeal. READ MORE: UPDATES: Caldor Fire Explodes In Size; Valley Air Quality Sinks To Unhealthy Levels A’s athletic trainer Nick Paparesta said the pitcher is in “really good spirits, doing well” a day later, even with his right eye still swollen shut. Bassitt tweeted his appreciation Wednesday for the support he has received. “From the bottom of my heart, I’d like to thank the (at)whitesox and (at)Athletics staff, front offices, and owners. The support my family and I’ve received has been...
    Los Angeles County is mandating people to once again wear masks. The county updated its public health order saying that people need to wear masks at "outdoor mega events" which is considered to be an event that has a crowd of over 10,000 people. Even if you are vaccinated, you must wear a mask at music or food festivals, car shows, large endurance events and marathons, parades, concerts, and sporting events. CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM The revised mandate will affect Los Angeles Dodgers fans at Dodger Stadium, as well as Los Angeles Rams and Chargers fans at SoFi Stadium when the NFL season kicks off next month. Everyone at these outdoor mega events must wear a mask at all times, except when they are eating or drinking. The health order says that "actively eating or drinking" is the "limited time during which the mask can be removed briefly to eat or drink, and that it must be immediately put back on afterward." The health order will be put into effect on Thursday at 11:59 p.m. CLICK...
    CRISTIANO RONALDO has dismissed speculation linking him with a return to Real Madrid as 'disrespectful'. Some reports claimed the Juventus star was being lined up for a stunning return to the Bernabeu this month. 1Cristiano Ronaldo has blasted speculation linking him with a return to Real MadridCredit: AFP And others suggested he could instead link up with Lionel Messi at Paris Saint-Germain. But Ronaldo has shot down talk of leaving Turin a year before his deal expires. He said: "Anyone who knows me is aware of how focused I am on my work. "Less talk and more action, this has been my guiding motto since the start of my career. "However, in view of everything that’s been said and written recently, I have to set out my position. "More than the disrespect for me as a man and as a player, the frivolous way that my future is covered in the media is disrespectful to all the clubs involved in these rumours, as well as to their players and staff. "My story at Real Madrid has been written....
    Kabul dozer JOE Biden’s speech last night will surely rank as one of the most shameful in presidential history. As chaos descended further on benighted Afghanistan, as desperation to flee the carnage saw locals clutching to the fuselage of a US evacuation flight plummet to their deaths, Sleepy Joe insisted this was all part of the plan. 3Sleepy Joe Biden declared 'The buck stops with me' after blaming Donald Trump as well as the Afghan government, soldiers and people for the 'gut-wrenching' scenesCredit: Splash The mission to prevent terrorism had been a success, he told us, and nation-building was never part of the deal. “The buck stops with me,” he declared, after blaming Donald Trump, as well as the Afghan government, soldiers and people for the “gut-wrenching” scenes. He threatened the Taliban with swift and “devastating force” if they misstep. Hate to tell you, Mr President, but the insurgents in Kabul don’t seem to be quaking in their boots. He boasted of resettling 2,000 Afghan allies and their families, as if it absolved him of blame for the many...
    YES, yes. Democracies are dying, women and children are being raped and enslaved in Afghanistan, we’re in the midst of a global pandemic and the planet is about to self-combust. But delay your compassion fatigue for one minute, and spare a thought for poor Laura Whitmore. 4Laura Whitmore has taken huge offence to the 'triggering language' used in an interview she did with respected newspaper The TimesCredit: Instagram The beautiful, millionaire host of Love Island is very, very upset. The poor lass has taken huge offence to the “triggering language” used in an interview she did with respected newspaper The Times. 'TRIGGERING' Offending phrases? “Skips off” (sexist) and “well-behaved baby” (unfair, apparently, on “well- behaved babies with other issues”.) Laura also took to Twitter to hit out at the interviewer — a man who recently shone a light on the troubles of disabled kids during lockdown, China’s appalling treatment of its Muslim Uighurs, and the plight of the over-burdened NHS — for the “frustrating narrative” of asking questions about her daughter. Laura’s own humanitarian work, meanwhile, escapes me. She did,...
    East Los Angeles (CNN)As he hit the campaign trail this weekend to fight the Republican-led effort to oust him, California Gov. Gavin Newsom leaned into the microphone with a message for all the disengaged Democrats who might be inclined to ignore the September 14 recall election. "Though we defeated Trump, we didn't defeat Trumpism. Trumpism is still alive and well, even here in the state of California," Newsom said, standing before tables full of phone-banking volunteers at Hecho en Mexico restaurant. "If you don't believe me, just consider ... the likely person to enter an oath of office, to enter in the governor's office in just a matter of weeks if we don't reject this recall."He then asked them to imagine the fate of their most urgent policy priorities if he is replaced by Larry Elder, the conservative talk radio host who quickly became his most formidable GOP opponent after a late entry to the race. Newsom ticked through an array of Elder's positions that stand in direct contradiction to the views of a majority of Californians: the Republican's opposition...