Aug 12, 2022
Detective charged in Breonna Taylor case to plead guilty
This news has been received from: washingtonexaminer.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
A former Louisville detective will plead guilty to federal charges in the 2020 fatal shooting of Breonna Taylor, her attorney said Friday at an online court hearing.
Former detective Kelly Goodlett, who was charged with helping to falsify a search warrant and trying to cover it up, is expected to plead guilty in front of U.S. District Judge David Hall on Aug. 22, her lawyer Brandon Marshall told Judge Regina Edwards in the United States District Court of the Western District of Kentucky, according to the Washington Post. An attorney representing the Department of Justice also confirmed the plea deal during the hearing.
FOUR OFFICERS CHARGED IN CONNECTION TO BREONNA TAYLOR’S DEATH
Goodlett, who was released on a $10,000 bond, is expected to testify against three other officers who were also charged in connection with Taylor's death. She faces a maximum sentence of five years and a $250,000 fine.
The other officers, Sgt. Kyle Meany, former detective Joshua Jaynes, and former detective Brett Hankison, were indicted on more serious charges that could result in life sentences if convicted. All three men have pleaded not guilty, according to court records.
The falsified documents included a false claim that a postal inspector had verified Taylor was receiving packages at her apartment for her ex-boyfriend, convicted drug dealer Jamarcus Glover, before plainclothes police officers stormed in to carry out a drug-related search warrant, according to the charging documents. The postal inspector has denied the claim, according to the documents, and records show no drugs or money were found in the apartment.
Taylor's boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, fired a shot at the officers he said he believed were intruders, injuring Sgt. John Mattingly in the leg. He and another detective, Myles Cosgrove, returned fire, which resulted in the death of Taylor. Mattingly and Cosgrove were not charged last week, Attorney General Merrick Garland said, because they did not know the information in the warrant was false.
"The officers who ultimately carried out the search at Taylor's apartment were not involved in the drafting of the warrant and were unaware of the false and misleading statements that it contained," Garland said, according to the Courier-Journal.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Taylor's death at the age of 26 prompted outrage in Louisville, shortly before the death of George Floyd, who was killed when a police officer pressed his knee against Floyd's neck in Minneapolis despite Floyd's cries that he could not breathe. Taylor's and Floyd's deaths fueled a summer of protests against police brutality and racism, which included calls to "defund the police."Breonna Taylor News Racism Prison Protests
News Source: washingtonexaminer.com
Tags: breonna taylor louisville breonna taylor george floyd breonna taylor news racism prison protests taylor’s death former detective postal inspector according to plead guilty other officers is expected breonna taylor search warrant the death the officers officers the officers the warrant warrant
Man Who Ran Over and Killed Conservative Teen Charged with Murder
by Trevor Schakohl
A North Dakota man arrested for running over a teenager he purportedly believed to be a Republican extremist was charged with murder Friday.
Shannon Brandt admitted to hitting Cayler Ellingson with his vehicle Sept. 18 and left the scene before returning, calling 911 and leaving again, according to a police affidavit. Brandt was subsequently charged with felony criminal vehicular homicide involving a motor vehicle and duty in accident involving death, but Foster County State’s Attorney Kara Brinster replaced the first charge with the more severe felony charge of murder.
The charges against Shannon Brandt, who made national headlines after claiming he ran over Cayler Ellingson after a political dispute, have been upgraded to a Murder charge and another class B felony. pic.twitter.com/LnStnYi9Ai
— Rob Port (@robport) September 30, 2022
Brandt spoke during a phone call with police about the incident being intentional and was “visibly intoxicated” at his house before police arrived, according to a Thursday affidavit. Brandt claimed Ellingson was “part of a Republican extremist group” and had called people Brant was scared “were coming to get him,” an earlier affidavit said.
Former President Donald Trump mentioned Ellingson’s death at a Sept. 23 rally in North Carolina, saying, “This guy ran him down and not one mainstream media network has even mentioned this horrible crime,” according to Fox News. North Dakota Highway Patrol Capt. Bryan Niewind told the outlet “no evidence” indicated Ellingson belonged to a “Republican extremist group.”
Brandt’s attorney did not immediately respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.
– – –
Trevor Schakohl is a reporter at Daily Caller News Foundation.
Background Photo “Courtroom” by Clyde Robinson. CC BY 2.0.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected]