This news has been received from: dailyvoice.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

mail: [NewsMag]

Author Salman Rushdie has been violently attacked at a speaking engagement in upstate New York, according to multiple reports.

The incident happened at around 10:45 a.m. Friday, Aug. 12, as Rushdie was about to begin lecturing at the Chautauqua Institution, in Chautauqua located about 70 miles south of Buffalo.

A man stormed the stage and attacked the 75-year-old Rushdie and an interviewer, according to New York State Police. 

Rushdie suffered an apparent stab wound to the neck and was taken by helicopter to a hospital, police said.

The interviewer suffered a minor head injury.

Photos posted to social media showed several people tending to Rushdie as he lay on the floor immediately following the attack.

There were no other reports of injuries.

The suspect was immediately apprehended by a state police trooper. His name has not been made public.

Rushdie, a native of Mumbai, India, has long been the subject of death threats from around the world following the publication of his 1988 book, The Satanic Verses, which critics deemed as hate speech directed toward Muslims.

In 1989, Iran's leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, issued a fatwa, calling for Rushdie's death.

Iran has offered over $3 million as a reward to anyone who kills Rushdie.

This is a developing story. Check back to Daily Voice for updates.

News Source: dailyvoice.com

Tags: following according

San Francisco Giants | Hjelle ends season on high note, but SF Giants still seeking .500 after loss to Padres

Next News:

6 shooting deaths in California are related, police say

Stockton police have linked a 2021 Oakland homicide and a non-fatal shooting to a “series of killings” gripping the Central California town, bringing the total number of homicide victims to six.

The Stockton Police Department announced last week that five shooting homicides reported between July and September of this year were “related.”

The first incident was reported July 8 and the most recent related homicide occurred Sept. 27, according to police.

California

Man who killed five in San Fernando Valley shooting spree sentenced to life in prison

Alexander Hernandez, 42, was found guilty in May of five counts of murder with special circumstances.

All of the victims were men shot in the late-night or early-morning hours with no signs of robbery present, police said. Five of the six victims were Latino, according to police.

“It’s just people caught by surprise,” Stockton police Chief Stanley McFadden said Friday at a news conference.

The Stockton victims were identified as:

  • A 35-year-old white man killed at 12:31 a.m. on July 8 in the 5600 block of Kermit Lane
  • A 43-year-old Latino man killed at 9:49 p.m. on Aug. 11 in the 4900 block of West Lane
  • A 21-year-old Latino man killed at 6:41 a.m. on Aug. 30 in the 800 block of E. Hammer Lane
  • A 52-year-old Latino man killed at 4:27 a.m. on Sept. 21 in the 4400 block of Manchester Avenue
  • A 54-year-old Latino man killed at 1:53 a.m. on Sept. 27 in the 900 block of Porter Avenue

On Monday, police confirmed that an April 2021 fatal shooting of a 40-year-old Latino man in Oakland was linked to the current string of homicides. The shooting occurred at 4:18 a.m.

A non-fatal shooting of a 46-year-old Black woman in Stockton, also reported in April 2021, was also related, police said. That incident occurred around 3:20 a.m.

California

Five Stockton homicides are ‘related,’ police seeking person of interest

Five Stockton homicides since July are related, police say. “It’s just people caught by surprise,” said Police Chief Stanley McFadden.

A $95,000 reward is being offered to anyone who provides information that leads to an arrest. The sum includes $10,000 donated anonymously from a Stockton-area business owner.

“We really don’t know how things are playing out just because of a lack of witnesses,” McFadden said Friday. “I can’t say it enough: We need [the public’s] help.”

Stockton police released a photo of a “person of interest” in the case but did not say whether the person was considered a suspect or witness.

Other News

  • Crime and Public Safety | East Oakland homicide from last year possibly linked to Stockton killing spree
  • Crime and Public Safety | Oakland hits triple-digit homicides for third straight year, leaving officials grasping for answers
  • Woman Threatened Man With Knife At Empire State Plaza, Police Say
  • .38 Special Tossed By 16-Year-Old Boy Chased Down By Paterson Police
  • Argument Leads To Shooting At Roosevelt Home, Police Say
  • Ex-Chelsea transfer chief Marina Granovskaia was ‘sent threatening message by football agent’ with police investigating
  • Major update in Stockton serial killer case as police link California murders using clues found on the scene
  • Crime and Public Safety | CSU East Bay fitness trainer charged with sexually abusing student behind locked door
  • Wrongful Death Lawsuit Blames Vineland Police For Man's Fatal Restraint
  • Criminal nabs Jaws of Life tools off firetruck
  • Dorchester Man Busted On Weapons Charge As Police Investigate Domestic Abuse: DA
  • If these pervs hadn’t been made public, would ALL victims have got justice? As Home Sec proposes anonymity until charge
  • DC Teens Busted After Bystanders Step In To Stop Attempted Carjacking
  • Maryland Police Officer Admits To Killing Stepson, Stuffing His Body In The Wall In Alford Plea
  • Debbie Collier’s daughter Amanda Bearden suffered another family tragedy weeks before mom’s murder as mystery continues
  • Clarksville HS Placed On Lockdown For Hours After Threat Of Bomb, Gun, Police Say
  • Norwalk Man Charged With Attacking Youth Football Coach With Helmet
  • Deadly Crash Closes Roadway In York County (DEVELOPING)
  • Concussion expert believes Tua Tagovailoa suffered ‘severe brain damage’ and begs Dolphins quarterback to quit football