Aug 05, 2022
Jihadi leader among 10 killed in airstrikes and rocket attacks in Gaza
This news has been received from: washingtonexaminer.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Ten people, including a senior jihadi leader, were killed after Israel launched a new wave of airstrikes and Palestinian Authority militants sent rocket attacks into Gaza, stoking fears of a renewed war between the bitter enemies.
Late Friday night local time, Gaza's military Joint Operations Room, a group consisting of Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and all other Palestinian militant groups, said in a statement that they are preparing a further response to Israel's airstrikes, according to the Middle East Eye.The office of Hamas's political chief, Ismail Haniyeh, warned that "all options are open" after 10 people, including Islamic Jihad leader Tayseer al Jabari, were killed in the attacks. Smoke rises following Israeli airstrikes on a building in Gaza City. Hatem Moussa/AP
The conflict started Friday when the Israel Defense Forces launched an airstrike. Islamic Jihad responded with a barrage of rockets, which were met in turn with more Israeli airstrikes. The exchange is raising worries about a new war breaking out in the region.
ISRAEL CONDUCTS WAVE OF STRIKES ON GAZA
"Israel is not interested in a broad campaign in Gaza — but is not afraid of it. Whatever it takes, we will remove the threats from our citizens," Prime Minister Yair Lapid said, signaling that a renewed offensive into Gaza isn't off the table.
הסלמה בדרום | ראש הממשלה לפיד: "ישראל לא מעוניינת במערכה רחבה בעזה - אך לא חוששת ממנה. ייקח כמה שייקח, נסיר את האיומים מעל אזרחינו"#השבוע pic.twitter.com/tj1ZfudHT9— כאן חדשות (@kann_news) August 5, 2022
"Today we proactively set out for Operation Dawn against the Islamic Jihad in the Gaza Strip — in order to neutralize the threat to the settlements and citizens surrounding Gaza," he added.
Video published by the Times of Gaza showed footage of renewed Israeli airstrikes as part of the new operation late Friday night.
Israeli warplanes launch a new series of attacks on Gaza. pic.twitter.com/JrNzlJ7aOH— TIMES OF GAZA (@Timesofgaza) August 5, 2022
The new operation is targeted against Islamic Jihad, not Hamas, a spokesman for the IDF said in an interview with Israel Public Broadcasting, noting thousands of reservists are being called forward, signaling a possible further escalation of the conflict.
דובר צה"ל תא"ל רן כוכב בריאיון ל[email protected]: "המבצע ממוקד מול ג'יהאד ולא חמאס, נקרא הלילה לאלפי חיילי מילואים"#השבוע pic.twitter.com/ZV6GO6lbIf— כאן חדשות (@kann_news) August 5, 2022
Palestinian Authority sources accuse Israeli officials of instigating the conflict as a cynical ploy ahead of the Israeli elections in November, according to Al Jazeera.
"Israel is using Gazans as sacrificial pawns in their ongoing struggle for power and are acting with impunity because they know nobody can or will hold them accountable,” Tariq Kenney-Shawa, a U.S.-based fellow with the Palestinian Policy Network think tank, told Al Jazeera.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
While no casualty figures have been released for the newest wave of airstrikes, the Gaza health ministry put the number of casualties from Friday's earlier airstrikes targeting a senior Islamic Jihad figure at 10 killed, including a 5-year old, and 55 wounded, according to the New York Times. The newest clashes are the deadliest since the 11-day war last year.News Israel Hamas Islamic Jihad Palestine Palestinians
News Source: washingtonexaminer.com
Tags: news israel gaza hamas israel defense forces prime minister yair lapid news israel hamas islamic jihad palestine palestinians palestinian authority israeli airstrikes the new operation rocket attacks the new operation according pic twitter com airstrikes islamic jihad friday night the conflict the conflict including were killed
Scooter Rider Killed By Commercial Vehicle In Hit-Run Crash In Maryland
Maryland State Police investigators are seeking the public’s assistance as they attempt to identify and locate a hit-and-run driver who killed a 29-year-old Delaware man and fled from the scene in Wicomico County.
Colin Henny Lin, of Lewes, Delaware, was driving an Apollo motorized scooter early on Tuesday, Aug. 16 in Salisbury when he was struck by an unknown driver as he attempted to cross the street, police said.
The preliminary investigation determined that Lin was attempting to cross the northbound lanes of US Route 13 from a center median crossover near Oliphant Street when he was struck by a commercial vehicle that was in a "bobtail configuration,” though not pulling a trailer.
Lin was pronounced dead at the scene.
Surveillance video of the scene determined that the fatal incident happened shortly before 3:45 a.m. on Tuesday morning.
The video of the commercial vehicle identifies it as a blue truck with a sleeper berth with a white stripe down the side, according to investigators. A photograph taken from video surveillance has been provided by police investigators (above).
Agencies to respond to the scene during the investigation includes:
- Maryland State Police Salisbury Barrack;
- Wicomico County Sheriff;
- Officers from the Salisbury City Police Department;
- Office of the State’s Attorney in Wicomico County;
- Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration.
The investigation is now being led by the Maryland State Police Crash Team as they search for the driver.
Anyone with information regarding the fatal hit-and-run or who may have witnessed the crash has been asked to contact the Maryland State Police Salisbury Barrack at (410) 749-3101 or Cpl. Kevin Moore of the Maryland State Police Crash Team at (410) 819-4721.