This news has been received from: mediaite.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

mail: [NewsMag]

Sergio Flores/Getty Images

A Texas jury ordered Alex Jones to pay an additional $45.2 million in punitive damages to the parents of Jesse Lewis, a six-year-old boy murdered in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, who Infowars spread conspiracy theories about for years.

The same jury decided Thursday that Jones and his media company Free Speech Systems owned Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis $4.

1 million in compensatory damages for lying that the massacre was a hoax and its 26 victims “crisis actors.”

Those conspiracy theories, which were aired for years on Infowars, led to harassment and threats against the surviving families of Sandy Hook victims, 20 of whom were children.

The jury had already found Jones liable for defamation in a summary judgment last year. This trial was held to determine damages in one of the three lawsuits Jones is facing from Sandy Hook families.

Heslin and Lewis sought $150 million from Jones. A lawyer for the Infowars host asked the jury to limit damages to just $8, which would represent one dollar for each compensation charge they were considering.

When asked by Judge Maya Guerra Gamble what amount of damages he considered fair, Jones said anything more than $2 million would sink Infowars.

After the jury announced its decision on compensatory damages, Jones said the $4.1 million number was “more money than my company and I personally have” in a video begging his supporters to buy Infowars products.

There remain two more defamation trials — another in Austin and one in Connecticut — to determine damages owed in separate suits brought against Jones by the Sandy Hook families.

Have a tip we should know? [email protected]

News Source: mediaite.com

Tags: alex jones infowars jesse lewis sandy hook compensatory damages conspiracy theories sandy hook families sandy hook victims the sandy hook damages

Search For Person In Water Along Morrissey Boulevard In Dorchester Underway (DEVELOPING)

Next News:

NBA Insider Throws Shade at Toughness of Lakers $190 Million Star

Getty Anthony Davis (right) of the Lakers

It’s encouraging to know that, in his three seasons since arriving in Los Angeles from New Orleans in one of the NBA’s biggest-ever trades, Anthony Davis’ Lakers have gone 86-52, a .628 winning percentage. Problem is, L.A. has played 87 games without him in the past three years, and posted a winning percentage of .472.

That’s not encouraging when taking an honest look at the team’s future. In fact, Heavy Sports’ NBA insider Steve Bulpett says, this is really nothing new for Davis.

Back when Bulpett covered the Celtics for the Boston Herald, he talked with a Pelicans official about Davis’ durability (the Celtics were pushing to trade for him), and there were red flags aplenty. First on the list: Davis was a bit soft.

“Someone with New Orleans told me, when the Celtics were in the hunt for Anthony Davis heavily, he said you’d better make sure that Marcus Smart is not included in that deal because you’re going to need someone tough to stand next to Anthony Davis,” Bulpett said in a video interview. “No. 2, he told me he had never, ever seen a player take that many trips to the trainer’s room. Now, we’re not talking about a serious injury and a guy being stupid and making himself even more hurt, but just that the people around him will tell you, he goes to the trainer’s room for the slightest issue. A hangnail, that can be a problem.”

Play
VideoVideo related to nba insider throws shade at toughness of lakers $190 million star2022-08-12T16:12:05-04:00

 

Lakers Sent Out a Mega-Package for Davis

Read More From Heavy

Place a ‘No Sweat First Bet’ on the NFL This Week

Davis did help the Lakers to the 2020 NBA championship in the Orlando bubble, and was excellent that season with averages of 26.1 points and 9.3 rebounds. The Lakers had given up a slew of players to get him, working a deal with New Orleans that saw star forward Brandon Ingram and guard Lonzo Ball join Josh Hart and the recently drafted De’Andre Hunter.

The Lakers also gave up a first-round pick this year, as well as in 2024 or 2025, plus a pick swap in 2023.

It can be argued that the championship made the trade worth it, but it was a lot of capital that the Lakers gave up. Davis is only 29 but he has seen a dip in his numbers the last two seasons, and averaged 23.2 points this season after notching 21.8 last year. He signed a $190 million contract with the Lakers in 2020.

Can the Lakers Count on Anthony Davis?

What does seem clear is that the Lakers can’t necessarily count on Davis as a future cornerstone the way they thought they could when they made the deal in 2019—he was to be the successor to LeBron James, the franchise passed from one superstar to the next. His health, though, has made that increasingly unlikely, and there is some consternation within the Lakers organization about how the franchise should move forward if Davis continues to struggle with bumps and bruises.

As one Western Conference executive told Heavy recently: “There are some in that organization who would not mind seeing what they can bring back for AD, but they would not do it with LeBron there. You get to 2024, though, and maybe things change. …  Davis can be a free agent then, too, so he could look to sign elsewhere or he could opt in for 2024-25 and be traded. A lot of players want to push their free agency to 2025 because that is when the new TV should come in.

“The Lakers have AD for two more years for sure, and they can only hope he stays healthy. But after that, they have to think, is this guy really our future? He can’t stay on the floor. And he has to think, do I want to be here without LeBron? That’s why the Lakers do not want to give up those future picks (in a trade).”

 

Other News

  • Michigan School District Charges $263 for Information on Millions of COVID Spending
  • Sacramento settles with parents of Stephon Clark, unarmed man killed by police, for $1.7 million
  • Trade Proposal Lands Jets $137 Million QB to Replace Zach Wilson
  • Proposed Trade Sees Warriors Deal 23-Year-Old Star for $70 Million Forward
  • National Archives issues response to Trumps claim that Obama took 30 million pages of documents from the White House
  • MLB | MLB stunner: San Diego Padres star Tatis Jr. suspended 80 games for positive drug test
  • Warriors Warned to Watch Out for East Rival in Stars Free Agency
  • Harris, Oakland leaders announce $50-million initiative to invest in children, end poverty
  • Steelers Could Pursue $137 Million QB if They Throw in Towel
  • Proposed Trade Sees Mavericks Land $75 Million Guard
  • Blumhouse's 'The Black Phone' shows that horror, and original storytelling, has a place at the box office
  • Trump besieged on all sides: An FBI raid, a New York tax probe, a Georgia grand jury on stolen elections and his CFO in court for tax fraud
  • Proposed Blockbuster Lands Celtics Veteran Superstar and $32 Million Sharpshooter
  • Cable News Ratings Thursday August 11: CNN Breaks 1 Million in Prime Time, Pulls Ahead of MSNBC in Demo
  • Blumhouse, studio known for highly profitable horror films, is no longer producing Mattel's Magic 8 Ball movie
  • Fast-Moving Fire Spreads From Maryland Townhouse Deck To Roof, Attic
  • All of them are lying: Steve Bannon calls FBI a bunch of lawless Gestapo in unhinged rant
  • Alex Jones’ Infowars Set to Make $800,000 in Sales, One Week After Sandy Hook Trial
  • Lawyer In Whitmer Kidnap Plot Trial Raises Concern About Juror