This news has been received from: minnpost.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

mail: [NewsMag]

Minnesota Republican Sen. Gene Dornink will stay on the ballot in a hotly contested primary race in the Austin area.

State Sen. Gene DorninkThe Minnesota Supreme Court on Friday dismissed a petition that claimed Dornink did not move to Senate District 23 in time to meet residency requirements after his district boundaries changed following the 2020 Census.

 

Glenville resident Judy Kay Olson had claimed Dornink still lived in his Hayfield home while claiming to live in Brownsdale, and she cited as evidence observations and other research by an investigative expert who was recently the campaign manager for Dornink’s Republican opponent Lisa Hanson. Keith Haskell said he visited Dornink’s homes many times between early May and mid July, taking videos, chalking tires on cars to check for movement and observing. 

But Dornink, first elected in 2020, argued the accusation was frivolous and without merit. In a legal filing, he said he had lived at his Brownsdale home since early May, enough time to qualify for the November general election and the primary on Tuesday. “My only overnight absences were as a result of legislative service,” said a declaration from Dornink sent to the court.

Article continues after advertisement

On Friday, Dornink said in a statement that he was “grateful the court dismissed this baseless case so quickly.”

“I will continue running a positive, issue-oriented campaign,” Dornink said. “I look forward to winning the Primary this Tuesday and the General Election in November.”

Dornink’s attorney and Minnesota Secretary of State Steve Simon contended Olson filed her petition after “unreasonable delay,” violating a doctrine that says people can’t wait too long before “asserting a known right” if it results in legal prejudice to someone responding to allegations. The initial filing was made last week,  65 days after Dornink filed for office, 35 days after early voting for the primary had begun and 12 days before the Tuesday primary.

The court agreed with that argument, saying some delay in filing a petition can be excused because a petitioner needs time to collect evidence in order to challenge a candidate’s residency. “The record here, however, indicates that Olson did not act expeditiously or diligently in conducting her investigation,” says an order signed by Chief Justice Lorie Gildea.

For instance, Olson’s associates visited Dornink’s home in Brownsdale twice within four days of the candidate filing for office. But they waited 18 days to visit again. And then after visiting on June 15 and 16, waited another month to make a final visit.

“Because there were long periods in which Olson and her associates did nothing to investigate, the delay in conducting the investigation was unreasonable,” Gildea wrote.

Removing Dornink from the ballot this close to the election would result in “substantial prejudice” against the candidate, Gildea said. Hanson is one of several Republicans challenging sitting lawmakers from the political right, and is known for being jailed after defying Gov. Tim Walz’s COVID-19 restrictions at her restaurant in Albert Lea.

Keep Minnesota news paywall-free.

MinnPost's in-depth, independent news is free for all to access — no paywall or subscriptions. Will you help us keep it this way by supporting our nonprofit newsroom with a tax-deductible donation today?

SUPPORT MINNPOST

News Source: minnpost.com

Tags: topics 2022 election covid 19 the candidate in conducting supreme court primary race austin area the primary

Zardes hat trick leads Rapids over Minnesota United 4-3

Next News:

Awkward moment athlete has to cover manhood after popping out of his shorts while going commando before coming LAST

THIS is the awkward moment an athlete had to cover his manhood after it popped out of his shorts while going commando - then came LAST.

Thankfully, the Italian athlete was able to laugh off the hilarious moment that was broadcast live on television.

3Italian decathlete Alberto Nonino was filmed trying to hide his willy mid-raceCredit: Twitter 3He decided to go commando during the 400m race

Decathlete Alberto Nonino started off the 400 metre race at this year's World Athletics U20 Championships in Colombia by whizzing past two rivals.

When he hit the final straight, he slowed quite noticeably and was seen tucking into his loose-fitting shorts at least six times as competitors went past him and he finished at the back of the pack.

The 18-year-old’s problems down below were immediately cited as the reason for his slow-down.

Sports journalist David Sanchez de Castro left nothing to the imagination by revealing in a tweet alongside footage of Nonino’s embarrassing moment: “World Athletics U20 Championships in Cali, Colombia.

MORE ON SPORTSKICKING OFF The Prem is BACK after 75 long days as title and Golden Boot races beginHAPPY HAM Hamilton starts summer break by hitting waves on £20,000 electric jet-surfboard

"Last series of the 400 meters decathlon. The Italian Alberto Nonino in lane five begins very well but crosses the finishing line last.

"He had his p**** out, literally."

In a follow-up tweet, Sanchez wrote: "Perhaps I’ve explained myself poorly.

"His penis escaped out of the side of his shorts and he had to hold it because it wasn’t allowing him to run properly which is normal when your dongle is swinging from side to side."

Most read in The US SunBUS TRAGEDY 12 tourists killed as bus skids off motorway after driver 'falls asleep'BIG BUCKS I won the $1.6BILLION Powerball lottery jackpot - here is how I picked my numbersFIERY CARNAGE Ellen's ex critical with 'severe burns' as horror pics show fiery car crashCARRIER KILLERS China ‘rehearsing sinking US aircraft carriers with hypersonic missiles'

Spanish-speaking press blamed Nonino’s slow 51.57 second run on him opting to run without underpants.

The promising young runner was able to shrug off the embarrassment clip, which had gone viral.

He said in an Instagram story: "I just want to talk to you a little bit about the rumpus there’s been on blogs and social media in general.

"I’m conscious it was obviously an accident and I’d like to tell you I’m aware of the reaction and you don’t need to send me the links to the blogs out there.

"I’m trying to laugh about it now but immediately afterwards I felt terrible and I’m thankful to my friends and family for helping me get over what happened a few hours later."

Spanish daily La Razon said of Italian's faux pas: "This race will at least serve as a lesson for future events.

"Better to wear pants and use the right shorts for long-distance events."

Japanese pole vaulter Hiroki Ogita shot to global fame at the 2016 Rio Olympics after his penis appeared to knock off the bar while qualifying.

Read More on The SunAISLE SAY! 'Tacky' bride slammed over wedding sign- can YOU spot what's got people talking?

Australian rugby league ace Billy Burns accidentally flashed his package during a July 2020 match.

Fans joked afterwards the 21-year-old should win the ‘tackle of the week’ poll.’

3Decathlon star Nonino was able to laugh off the embarrassing incidentCredit: Getty

Other News

  • Arizona attorney general race to have big impact on abortion rules, election claims
  • How a serial killer set the stage for the modern GOP | Opinion
  • Awkward moment athlete has to cover manhood after popping out of his shorts while going commando before coming LAST
  • Gunmen kill 4 in attack targeting lawmaker in NW Pakistan
  • Fan Breaks Into Idol Finalists Home: Court Documents Reveal Scary New Details