Aug 05, 2022
Android warning for all users – 13 ‘phone breaking’ spam apps to delete now
This news has been received from: the-sun.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
The malicious apps have been downloaded by millions of unsuspecting users.1This malware scheme floods the user's phone with advertisementsCredit: Getty Images - Getty
Cybersecurity analysts at McAfee published a blog explaining the threat of HiddenAds, a new strain of malware.
Downloading one of the flagged apps will saddle the user with a steady stream of pop-up advertisements on their device.
"Automatically executed services constantly display advertisements to victims," McAfee analysts explain.
The scammers leveled up their scheme by taking out advertising space for their "apps" on Facebook.Read More Scams and FraudDON'T TEXT BACK I sued a spam texter and made $1,200 – now you can do it tooWATCH OUT Android WARNING for all users as apps caught sending fake nudes to family members
The apps evade detection by the user by changing their icon and camouflaging in the home screen.
The apps will "change their icon to a Google Play icon that users are familiar with and change its name to ‘Google Play’ or ‘Setting’" McAfee's blog explains.
It takes a sharp eye to notice a duplicate icon or an imposter Settings app, making diagnosing the problem even more challenging.
Worse yet, the malware script is so efficient that the malicious program will self-execute as soon as its downloaded.Most read in Phones & GadgetsWAITING GAME Apple forced to 'delay' major update for one of its gadgets, insider claimsTRUTH BE TOLD The meaning behind the viral Nathaniel B meme on TikTok revealedAPPLE RUMBLE Anyone with a sensitive iPhone photo MUST turn on feature todayBAD APP Android warning for all users – 17 password stealing apps to delete now
"The first activity of this malware will create a permanent malicious service for displaying advertisements," McAfee's blog continues.
The 13 apps that were flagged as fraudulent have been removed from the Google Play Store.
Remember that removal from the Google Play Store will not remove the apps from your device.
Manually delete these thirteen apps if you've fallen into the malware's trap: Junk Cleaner, EasyCleaner, Power Doctor, Full Clean, Fingertip Cleaner, Quick Cleaner, Keep Clean, Windy Clean, Carpet Clean, Cool Clean, Strong Clean and Meteor Clean.Read More on The US SunKIMYE FOREVER? Kim and Kanye are 'working things out' amid rumors they're back togetherSILLY SAUSAGE Image of distant star posted by top scientist was actually a piece of CHORIZO
Remember to vet the apps you use before freely downloading.
If an app has limited reviews or it's the developer's only product, then install with extreme caution or do not install at all.
News Source: the-sun.com
FBI concludes Alec Baldwin must have pulled trigger in Rust shooting: Report
Alec Baldwin must have pulled the trigger to fire the gun that fatally shot a cinematographer on the set of the movie Rust, according to an FBI forensic report released on Friday.
The report comes 10 months after the fatal shooting of Halyna Hutchins on the set of the Western movie, and the conclusions contradict claims from Baldwin last year when he said he did not pull the trigger. Instead, the actor said he believed he was handling a gun that did not have live ammunition when the gun went off, killing Hutchins and injuring one of the film’s directors.
ALEC BALDWIN ATTEMPTS TO DISTANCE HIMSELF FROM BLAME FOR RUST SHOOTING: FILING
The firearm used in the shooting, a .45 Colt caliber F.lli Pietta single-action revolver, could not have been fired in an accidental discharge without the trigger being pulled, the FBI determined in its report obtained by ABC News.
No charges have been made in Hutchinson’s death, and the New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator has classified the death as an accident, according to the outlet.
Baldwin said in an Instagram video posted Jan. 8 that the claims he is not complying with authorities were “bulls***” and “a lie.” He insisted the process "takes time" and involves cooperation with authorities where he lives.
Baldwin and the Rust production crew are currently facing several lawsuits over the shooting, including one from Hutchins's family that alleges emotional and physical harm from the incident. Baldwin's lawyers attempted to dismiss the case, noting that New Mexico labor law should handle the matter rather than the Los Angeles County Superior Court.
The film's armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, also filed a suit against the ammunition supplier in January, alleging the company had created "dangerous conditions" onset due to mishandling the live rounds.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
The actor has attempted to distance himself from the shooting in recent months, telling ABC News in an emotional interview it was the worst thing that has ever happened to him. Law enforcement officials are still investigating the incident, waiting on phone records from Baldwin.
The Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office said Baldwin did not give his phone to authorities when they issued a warrant on Dec. 16, leading the office to reach out to the Santa Fe District Attorney’s Office. On Dec. 20, the sheriff's office was advised that the district attorney's office was in negotiations with Baldwin’s attorney "to obtain consent to retrieve the phone and its contents."FBI News Alec Baldwin Police