This news has been received from: washingtonexaminer.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

mail: [NewsMag]

Florida state attorney Andrew Warren fired back at Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis for suspending him Thursday over his purported failure to uphold state laws on abortion.

Warren said DeSantis does not have the authority to suspend him and stressed that he had not taken any concrete action to stonewall the enforcement of Florida's abortion laws that are currently being challenged in court.

RON DESANTIS SUSPENDS 'SOROS-FUNDED' PROSECUTOR FOR 'IGNORING THE LAW'

"It's not even talking about things that I've done in the office — it's talking about things that I may do in the future for a law that doesn't even exist yet. I mean, this is out of, like, 1984 Orwellian thought police," Warren told CNN. "The governor is just grasping at straws here."

DeSantis announced Thursday he was suspending Warren, who had been reelected to serve as the state attorney for Hillsborough, Florida, in 2020 after Warren signed a letter declaring he would not enforce state laws on abortion and hinted he would do the same with Florida laws on transgender care as well.

The move drew a sharp backlash from many Florida Democrats, some of whom, such as potential gubernatorial rival Rep. Charlie Crist (D-FL), questioned whether DeSantis even has the legal authority to suspend Warren.

"This is blatantly unconstitutional and a violation of Florida statute," Warren told CBS. "He doesn't have the authority to suspend me just because he wants to, especially when he's focused on things that I haven't even done yet. The bottom line is that people elected me to serve in this position, and I'm going to continue doing it to keep our neighborhood safe."

Suspended Fla. Prosecutor @AndrewWarrenFL: "Blatantly unconstitutional" for @GovRonDeSantis to suspend me. "He does not have the authority to suspend me ... the people elected me to serve in this position and I am going to continue doing it." pic.twitter.com/lLGroFQTcJ

— Tom Elliott (@tomselliott) August 5, 2022


After the Supreme Court overturned precedents first established in Roe v. Wade in June, Warren signed a letter arguing that Florida's 15-week abortion ban was unconstitutional and stating he wouldn't enforce it. A Florida judge subsequently deemed the law unconstitutional, but that decision was stayed, and litigation over the law is underway.

DeSantis argued that Warren's signature of that letter indicated he would not uphold state law and cited Article IV, Section 7 of the Florida Constitution, which details disqualification provisions for elected state officials, as a rationale for suspending him.

The governor did not specify in his press release which provision he was utilizing in Section 7 to justify the suspension, but he has argued that Warren was planning to subvert the law. He also cited a statewide review that found most cases of unenforced state laws can be traced back to Warren's office.

"Our government is a government of laws, not a government of men," DeSantis said Thursday. "We've seen across the country over the last few years individual prosecutors take it upon themselves to determine which laws they like and will enforce and which laws they don't like and don't enforce."

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

Warren was evasive when pressed about whether he plans to continue working as a state attorney during his CNN interview. He was adamant, however, that he would "continue doing what the Hillsborough County citizens elected me to do."

Ron DeSantis News Florida Abortion Transgender Issues

News Source: washingtonexaminer.com

Tags: ron desantis florida ron desantis abortion abortion transgender care ron desantis news florida abortion transgender issues ’t enforce state laws on abortion unconstitutional a state attorney a government the governor he would not ron desantis

Arango sparks LAFC to 4-1 romp over Real Salt Lake

Next News:

I thought Prince Andrew was going to prison & Fergie didn’t have a penny – they owed me MILLIONS, says socialite

A FRENCH socialite has settled a £7million lawsuit with Prince Andrew and Fergie because they "didn't have a penny" to pay back the millions owed to her, she claims.

Former pal Isabelle de Rouvre, 74, said the decision by Andrew's ex to buy a £5million property in Mayfair was "incredible and unbelievable" as she thought Fergie "didn't have a penny" to her name.

5Isabelle de Rouvre, 74, said it was 'unbelievable' the Yorks bought a new home despite owing her millions 5De Rouvre sold her Swiss Alps chalet to the Yorks in 2014 for £18mCredit: EPA 5Fergie and Prince Andrew settled their case with de RouvreCredit: Getty - Contributor

Andrew and Sarah Ferguson bought de Rouvre's chalet in Verbier in 2014 for roughly £18million and promised to pay £5million in cash instalments, with interest.

When the Yorks failed to pay up, the 74-year-old socialite took them to court.

De Rouvre said the couple owed her a total of about £6.8million but an agreement was struck where she received £3.4million instead because she was told the Yorks were short of money, according to The Sunday Times.

She claims the reason she didn't vehemently pursue the Royals for the full payment is because of Prince Andrew's legal battle with Jeffrey Epstein survivor Virginia Guiffre.

READ MORE ON PRINCE ANDREWGRAND TASTES Mystery of Andrew's millionaire lifestyle - despite earning only £270k

She thought the couple didn't have money and that Andrew "would be going to prison in America so I thought it best to get what I could", de Rouvre said.

"I am outraged that I am now told she has spent millions on another property.

"It is just incredible and the whole story unbelievable. It is a dirty story as far as I am concerned."

Giuffre, a victim of sex trafficking at the hands of paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein, claimed Andrew raped and abused her when she was 17.

Most read in The US SunBUS TRAGEDY 12 tourists killed as bus skids off motorway after driver 'falls asleep'BIG BUCKS I won the $1.6BILLION Powerball lottery jackpot - here is how I picked my numbersFIERY CARNAGE Ellen's ex critical with 'severe burns' as horror pics show fiery car crashCARRIER KILLERS China ‘rehearsing sinking US aircraft carriers with hypersonic missiles'

Andrew has vehemently denied the claims against him and settle a civil suit brought forward by Giuffre. Andrew never faced any prospect of jail time.

Fergie purchased her Mayfair mews home from Grosvenor Estates for £5million earlier this year and is thought to be an investment property for her daughters Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie.

Details about the new ownership are yet to be published by the Land Registry.

In 2010, Fergie said she was "continually on the verge of financial bankruptcy".

There were reports she had £4.2million in debt during her 10-year marriage with Prince Andrew.

"I thought she didn’t have a penny," de Rouvre said as she referenced the settlement she reached with the Yorks in November following a protracted and costly legal battle.

The agreement meant the Royals could sell the chalet and use the proceeds to pay off some of the £10million believed to have been paid to Guiffre in their out-of-court settlement.

The chalet was frozen by authorities because a Swiss couple said they were owed a "business debt" of £1.6million, according to local paper Le Temps.

Andrew is said to be disputing the amount he owes the couple but doesn't deny the unpaid debt.

De Rouvre told The Sun she had "run out of patience" over the unpaid loan on the Verbier estate, which is nestled in a well-to-do area of the Swiss Alps.

Swiss sources say Isabelle rented her £22,000-a-week seven-bed Alpine chalet to royals including Prince Harry in the early 2010s.

She became pals with Andrew and ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, who stayed at the luxury bolthole in the Verbier ski resort in 2013.

They bought it the next year for around £18million, with Isabelle lending them £5million for the deposit.

However, Andrew and Fergie were unable to meet a deadline for repayment and are now being sued for £6.7million including interest.

A friend of Isabelle’s told The Sun: “She has run out of patience.

“She thought these people would be able to pay their debts.

“She became a family friend because she would let Andrew and Sarah stay in her chalet before she sold it to them.

"But they are hardly close friends any more.”

Paris-born Isabelle, a mum of four and nan of seven, is the ex-wife of F1 and sugar tycoon Cyril de Rouvre.

She is now dating French art dealer Michael Kennedy — former lover of Donald Trump’s ex-wife Ivana.

Now back living in Verbier after several years on the Italian Riviera, she told The Sun: “The case is really very difficult. They have a lawyer and I have mine too.”

Andrew and Fergie are believed to have tried to sell the chalet to pay off the debt by December 31 last year but could find no buyer.

It is understood Swiss prosecutors can serve a summons if funds are not paid within 20 days.

The property could then be seized and auctioned.

Read More on The SunAISLE SAY! 'Tacky' bride slammed over wedding sign- can YOU spot what's got people talking?

It is the latest crisis for the 60-year-old Duke of York.

He stepped down as a senior royal after his car crash Epstein interview on Newsnight last November.

5Andrew, Sarah and their two daughtersCredit: Getty 5Fergie is understood to have bought a £5m property in MayfairCredit: Louis Wood - The Sun

Other News

  • Arizona attorney general race to have big impact on abortion rules, election claims
  • I thought Prince Andrew was going to prison & Fergie didn’t have a penny – they owed me MILLIONS, says socialite
  • Gunmen kill 4 in attack targeting lawmaker in NW Pakistan