This news has been received from: the-sun.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

mail: [NewsMag]

NIGEL WINTERBURN has declared Arsenal MUST beat Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park to avoid a fan meltdown.

The Gunners go into Friday night's clash at Selhurst Park full of optimism after a great pre-season having won six matches.

2Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn is demanding a batter performance against Crystal PalaceCredit: Splash 2Gunners boss Mikel Arteta knows the pressure is on him to start well this seasonCredit: Getty

And following the big-money signings of Gabriel Jesus, Oleksandr Zinchenko and Fabio Vieira, fans are hopeful of a positive start to the campaign.

Though there is a fear from supporters that they could suffer a loss in the opening match of the new Premier League term after last year's 2-0 defeat at Brentford.

Fans are also hoping to avoid humiliation in South London for a second time in 2022 after Patrick Vieira's men smashed Arsenal 3-0 in April.

Club legend Winterburn is demanding a better performance this time around, as he stressed that a loss would deflate supportes.

READ MORE ON ARSENALGUNNERS NEWS Tielemans boost as Aouar deal lined up, Maddison waiting on BID

Speaking exclusively to SunSport on behalf of FreeSuperTips, the 58-year-old was asked what improvements he is looking to see against Palace.

To which he said: "I'm certainly looking for a much better score line that's for sure.

"Listen, they completely dominated Arsenal last season at Selhurst Park and that can't happen again from an Arsenal point of view.

"That would deflate the Arsenal supporters completely, they lost the first three games last season and it's got to be different this season.

latest arsenal newsTRANSFER NEWS Barcelona line up £67m Alexander-Arnold bid, De Jong 'wants London move'GOALS GALORE Spurs man Allen hit 49 goals in a season - but which Prem star could break it?GUNNERS NEWS Tielemans boost as Aouar deal lined up, Maddison waiting on BIDPALACE VS ARSENAL All TV info and news as Palace aim to give Arsenal nightmare league start

FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS - BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS

"The first game is always tricky, it doesn't matter who you play home or away, it's always hard going into it.

"It will be a difficult game for Arsenal, but I want to see a strong showing that we didn't see last year against Crystal Palace.

"There's a different expectation from the supporters going into this season inside the stadium going off what I've seen in pre-season.

"They will not accept that level of performance we saw last season on Friday night, that is for sure.

"All I can say to this first team squad and the XI starting the game; make sure you're ready for the fight and do not be bullied.

"When you've got time to play, they have to show their quality because Palace will hustle Arsenal, it's exactly what they did last year.

"Arsenal tried to play out from the back, and they simply couldn't, Palace took the ball off them so many times in Arsenal's defensive third.

"It invited Palace on, and they were too strong for Arsenal, it cannot happen on Friday night.

READ MORE ARSENAL STORIESFOUR PLAY Arsenal legend Winterburn says top four 'minimum aim' after impressive summerYOUR THE ONE Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn says Youri Tielemans would be perfect transfer

"I'm always going to predict an Arsenal win because it's what I expect all the time.

"I know it's not going to happen every game, but I think from a fans point of view we're all expecting a victory to make a statement."

News Source: the-sun.com

Tags: exclusives premier league against crystal palace legend winterburn on friday night point of view this season last season for arsenal deflate

Olivia Attwood reveals her stunning gold and silver Christmas tree at Manchester mansion

Next News:

Latest Aaron Judge update proves Yankees offer wasnt good enough

The New York Yankees rightfully want to re-sign slugger Aaron Judge, but the latest update proves they’re going to have to do more to keep him.

The Yankees will possibly lose their star Aaron Judge this offseason as Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (subscription required) shared that Judge’s contract will likely be for nine years. The exact offer the Yankees put out to Judge is unknown, but it was reportedly “in the neighborhood of eight years and $300 million.”

The San Francisco Giants have come ready to spend this offseason, and they made it very clear that if they miss out on signing Judge, it won’t be because of money. The Giants haven’t made an offer yet to Judge, but they’ve met with him and have a very real chance of landing him.

While it’s risky to make a long-term deal with Judge considering he’s 30 years old and most players begin to decline in performance through their 30s, it’s a risk many teams see as worth taking since he had such an explosive season in 2022.

If adding an extra year and a little bit of money to one-up the Yankees offer is what the Giants or any other team have to do to land him, then it’s not so bad of a plan and some team is very likely to do it. However, it’s unclear if the Yankees would bid back or not.

The Yankees may be out-bid from contract length

Offering Judge eight years is generous, and offering him nine years is pushing the envelope. It would be a stretch for any team to offer him 10 years as it would push him to 40 years old at the end, so it doesn’t seem like a likely move from the Yankees if a team bounces back with a nine-year offer.

This would certainly hurt the Yankees next season as they have a lot of room for improvement, and Judge was hands-down the most impactful player in the regular season. He was one of the best in the league as he led in many important statistical categories, including WAR (10.6), on-base percentage (.425), slugging percentage (.686) and OPS (1.111), to name a few.

He was also in the Triple Crown conversation, one of the most prestigious achievements in baseball, and he broke the 61-year-old single season home run record with 62 homers this season.

Though it’s risky to sign him to a long-term contract, he appears to be good for quite a few more years and the Yankees just simply didn’t offer him what he could acquire.

Next: Bryan Reynolds rumors: 3 monster trade packages to make the Pirates budge

Other News

  • How the Mets could rebuild their rotation without Jacob deGrom
  • Yankees offer to Aaron Judge around $300 million for eight years: report
  • Giants Face Considerable Doubt About OBJ for 2 Reasons
  • Ghana star Mohammed Kudus open to Premier League transfer despite Barcelona interest with Ajax set to demand £40m
  • Golden State Warriors | Kurtenbach: A totally vanquished rival reminds us how special Steph Currys Warriors run is
  • College Football Playoff rankings 2022: Projected final Top 25 after Georgia and Michigan dominate, USC and TCU give Ohio State help
  • Golden State Warriors | Andrew Wiggins, Warriors torch Rockets to notch 10th straight home win
  • Heat and Eastern Conference Rival Have Mutual Interest in Trade Involving 24-Year-Old Starting Power Forward
  • Ross Chastains Martinsville Move Too Unrealistic for a Movie
  • Jimmy Garoppolo Reveals Wholl Give the 49ers a Big Boost in Week 13
  • Nick Saban makes Alabama’s case for the College Football Playoff
  • Al Horford Reflects on Leaving Celtics For Rival in 2019
  • Golden State Warriors | Will Klay Thompson play in back-to-backs this season? Steve Kerr weighs in
  • Chase Elliott Has Big Plans for the 2023 NASCAR Cup Series Season
  • Former NFL Quarterback Urges Mac Jones to Request Trade
  • Ravens promote WR DeSean Jackson again for game vs. Broncos, place WR Tylan Wallace on IR
  • MLB insider has good news for Red Sox fans on Xander Bogaerts
  • Piers Morgan tells Arsenal to sign Holland World Cup star in January transfer window to compliment Gabriel Jesus
  • Terrified Arsenal fans fear the Premier League season ‘is OVER’ after Gabriel Jesus injury rules him out of World Cup