Jul 03, 2022
Curse of Drake is broken after rapper WINS $1million bet on UFC champion Adesanya to beat Cannonier
This news has been received from: the-sun.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya official broke the 'Drake curse' with his dominant victory over Jared Cannonier.
The Last Stylebender retained his 185lb title via unanimous decision early on Sunday morning in the main event of UFC 276 in Las Vegas.2The Last Stylebender received a FaceTime from Drake ahead of the UFC 276 weigh-insCredit: [email protected] 2Adesanya was left stunned after learning Drake had bet $1million on him to beat CannonierCredit: [email protected]
Fight fans were worried the surging superstar's dominant reign atop of the division would come to an end after he had a FaceTime with Drake - who bet a whopping $1million for him to beat the Killa Gorilla.
Their concerns were well placed given fighter's history of losing after hanging out with the Canadian rapper or him betting on them.
Conor McGregor suffered a fourth-round submission defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov after having Drake walk him to the UFC 229 weigh-ins in 2018.
Fan favourite Jorge Masvidal fell to defeat in his grudge match with Colby Covington in March after the 'Over' star laid a whopping £223,000 ($275,000) bet on him.
And former interim lightweight champion Justin Gaethje was choked out cold in May after Drizzy placed £346,000 on him to beat Charles Oliveira.
Drake revealed his hefty wager during a late-night FaceTime with the surging superstar.
The 'Hotline Bling' star said during the call: “Bro, I already know what time it is. You know, I put a light million up.”
Adesanya, who was still cutting weight for the official weigh-ins, asked: “Light mil?”Most read in SportPAIGE RAGE Paige Spiranac branded 'fat and ugly' by vile trolls after Sexiest Woman awardFLASH ARI Celeste shows off incredible body as the ring girl relaxes after UFC Fight NightTRAGIC END Baltimore Ravens star's shock cause of death revealed in new autopsy resultsSHIP SHAPE Ronaldo shows off bulging biceps ahead of Utd return as Georgina stuns in bikini
FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS - BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
Drake replied: “A light mill. I had to put a light mil on my brother. Return on investment is a lock.”
The Canadian later said: “I just want to wish you good luck.
“You know I love you, brother. You’re different. You’re a different guy, bro.
"I have a deep, deep, deep love and respect for you. A deep love and respect.”
News Source: the-sun.com
UFC Made Big Mistakes Which Led to Exciting Fighter Leaving Promotion
Getty Dana White
Exciting featherweight fighter Shane Burgos is no longer on the UFC roster as he recently signed with the Professional Fighters League. And UFC president Dana White admitted that the promotion made a “mistake” losing “Hurricane.”
Burgos (15-3), who is riding a two-fight win streak, revealed to Ariel Helwani earlier this week on “The MMA Hour” that he was moving on to the UFC’s rival promotion.
“That was the last fight of my deal,” Burgos said via MMA Fighting. “I said after the fight that I wanted to test free agency, test the waters. I know what I am worth, I wanted to see what everyone else thought I was worth. So I went out there, I tested the free agency market and I’m excited to announce that I’m signing with the PFL.
“It was not an easy decision. It was an offer I couldn’t turn it up. I’ve got two daughters, I’ve got to go back home, I’ve got to look at them in the face when it’s all said and done in this sport. With this deal I feel like that will secure that. Not taking anything away from my UFC career. Eleven fights in the UFC, that was a dream when I was 14 years old. I saw it for the first time on TV when I was 12 and was like, ‘That’s what I want to do.’ When I was 14 I made the decision, I started training at 15, and the UFC gave me the platform to be able to be in this position right now and then secure the deal that I just secured with the PFL.
“[Sean Shelby, Dana White, Hunter Campbell, Mick Maynard], all the guys at the UFC, I can’t thank you guys enough.”White Echoed His Respect for Burgos, Said UFC Made ‘Big Mistakes’ Dealing With Hurricane
In an interview with Yahoo Sports’ Kevin Iole this week, White was asked about Burgos’ departure. And in short, the UFC president doesn’t appear content with losing Hurricane to the PFL.
“That’s a good question,” White said via the outlet. “How do I answer that question? Basically, there were some mistakes that were made here, some s*** that … he should have still been here. I respect him very much and I wish him the best. A hundred percent [mistakes were made on the UFC side]. A hundred percent. Big mistakes were made over here.”Burgos Plans to Become a ‘Multi-Millionaire’ Fighting Inside the PFL’s Smart Cage
Burgos will surely be injected into PFL’s next season. And should he win his bracket, he’ll take home the likely $1 million grand prize. When speaking with Helwani, Burgos shared his plan on becoming a “multi-millionaire” fighting in the promotion’s patented Smart Cage.
“When it’s all said and done after the first season — obviously, I plan on winning — I’ll be a multi-millionaire,” Burgos said.
In November 2021, Burgos got back into the win column by besting Billy Quarantillo at UFC 268 in what was one of the most thrilling featherweight contests of the year. He last competed on July 16 when he extended his victory streak to two by earning a majority decision over Charles Jourdain.