This news has been received from: dailymail.co.uk

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

mail: [NewsMag]

Texas police have released a picture of the 28-year-old man accused of plotting the nation's deadliest human smuggling operation, where 53 migrants were killed in a truck after the air conditioner failed amid 103 degree temperatures. 

Christian Martinez, who reportedly worked for Walmart, was arrested on Tuesday on trafficking charges after dozens died of heatstroke and dehydration as temperatures rose to 150 degrees inside the truck near San Antonio.

 

According to a criminal complaint released on Friday, Martinez was texting the truck's driver, Homero Zamorano Jr., 45, asking about his whereabouts when the alleged driver failed to meet up with him while transporting the migrants, the Daily Beast reported.  

Federal prosecutors said the two suspects face charges carrying potential life sentences or the death penalty, if convicted.

Pictured: Christian Martinez, 28, accused of plotting the nation's deadliest human smuggling operation that claimed the lives of 53 migrants on Monday in San Antonio, Texas

Martinez was allegedly in communication with the truck driver, who abandoned the vehicle with a broken air conditioner on the roadside, causing dozens to die from heat stroke and dehydration as temperatures grew to 150 degrees inside the truck

The incident left 53 migrants, including five children, dead. Officials have identified 34 victims

 

Martinez, of Palestine, Texas, allegedly texted his accomplice at 12:17 p.m. on Monday on where they should meet up, according to the court documents. 

The documents claim that after Zambrano texted him to confirm the meetup, Martinez sent him an address to an industrial area just three miles from Mexico.

When Zambrano doesn't reply, Martinez allegedly texts him repeatedly to find out his whereabouts. 

'Where are you bro,?' Martinez texts at 1:14 p.m., according to the complaint. 

By 3:18 p.m., the documents claim Martinez texted, 'Call me bro, Yes, Call me bro.' 

Martinez's final text, at 6:17 p.m., allegedly read, 'WYA?,' meaning, where you at?  

It was during that time that Police said Zamorano abandoned 73 migrants in the truck by the roadside in San Antonio, leaving passersby to hear screaming inside the vehicle as they made the gruesome discovery. 

San Antonio Police officers were later led to Zamorano's hide-out and detained him. Surveillance footage provided by Laredo Sector border patrol agents showed the tractor-trailer crossing through an immigration checkpoint.

The video confirmed the black-colored shirt with stripe detail and hat was the clothing Zamorano, the driver, had been wearing.'

Homero Zamorano, Jr., 45, was arrested Wednesday on criminal charges for his alleged involvement in a botched smuggling ring that resulted in dozens of deaths, according to the Department of Justice and the US Attorney's Office for the Western District of Texas

Surveillance cameras captured Zamorano, 45, driving the rig across the border hours before he allegedly abandoned it on a road on the outskirts of San Antonio

Police say Zamorano was 'very high on meth' at the time of his arrest and had attempted to disguise himself as a victim of the tragedy to 'avoid being detained'

RELATED ARTICLES
  • Previous
  • 1
  • Next
  • Four migrants are killed and three critically injured as... 'High on meth' driver of doomed Texas tractor-trailer...
Share this article Share

The investigation revealed that both Zamorano and Martinez communicated before the botched human-smuggling incident took place.

The truck was carrying 73 people, according to an official who spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press, though a DOJ source told DailyMail.com that, to their knowledge, only 64 people had been on board as it made its way through the checkpoint on Interstate 35.

It's unclear if agents stopped the driver for questioning at the inland checkpoint or if the truck went through unimpeded. Those inside the tractor-trailer were suspected of entering the country illegally, the DOJ reported.

According to court documents, Homeland Security Investigators (HSI) responded to the scene on Monday involving 73 individuals suspected of entering the United States illegally.

At the scene, investigators confirmed 48 individuals had died. Twenty-two of those were Mexican nationals, seven were Guatemalan , two Honduran and 17 were of unknown origin but suspected to be undocumented non-citizens, the DOJ reported.

Emergency responders and investigators surround the truck where at least 53 people died after being left in the trailer in sweltering Texas heat

Magdalena (left) and Maria Sipac Grajeda (right) hold images of their teenage boys who died with at least 51 other migrants in San Antonio, Texas. Maria's son, Pascual, was just 13

Members of the community take part in a vigil for the dozens of people have been found dead Monday in a semi-trailer in San Antonio

Residents of San Antonio cry as they attend a Tuesday night vigil for the victims found in an abandoned truck

A mobile fingerprint device was used by HSI to confirm the undocumented status of those in the tractor-trailer. 

Sixteen of the undocumented individuals were transported to local hospitals for medical evaluation. Five people died at hospital. 

Officials are working with foreign consulate officers to properly notify family members of the deceased.   

There are roughly 110 inland highway checkpoints along the Mexican and Canadian borders. Monday's catastrophe raises the question if checkpoints are able to adequately spot people in cars and trucks who enter the US illegally, Associated Press reported. 

U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar, who drives through the checkpoint almost weekly, said investigators believe migrants boarded the truck in or around Laredo, though that is unconfirmed, the news outlet reported. 

Zamarano's Facebook shows him with various different selfies and a few photos with his dog, and his love for Mexico and the Houston Astros.

According to his bio, he is single, hails from Mission, Texas, enjoys smoking marijuana, and has a high school education. 

His estranged wife told The New York Post that 'he was a good man' and was 'shocked by his involvement.'

Margie Tamara Paz Grajera, of Honduras, (pictured left) was among the deceased on Wednesday. She had been studying  at the National Autonomous University of Honduras. She was dating Alejandro Miguel Andino Caballero (pictured below right). Adela Betulia Ramirez Quezada of Honduras was also among the deceased 

The Honduran government on Wednesday named brothers Fernando Jose Redondo Caballero (left) and Alejandro Miguel Andino Caballero (right) among the deceased

Sisters Carla and Griselda Carac-Tambriz, of Guatemala, were among the 53 migrants who died in an abandoned semi-truck trailer in the sweltering Texas heat on Monday. The sisters came to America to 'achieve our dreams and also help our family'

How Joe Biden has presided over RECORD levels of migration, deaths and rescues at the southern border

Migrant crossings, rescues and deaths along the southern border have hit record levels under the leadership of President Joe Biden.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is on pace to record more than 2 million arrests this year as hundreds of thousands of migrants seek to enter the U.S. travel from South and Central America up through Mexico.

Migrant crossing levels have been on the rise since Biden took office, with Border Patrol having tallied a record 1.73 million arrests at the border in 2021.

Deaths have also skyrocketed, with the number of migrants fatalities reported in 2021, more than doubling those recorded in 2020.

Biden argued on that authorities need to take action against the 'multi-billion dollar criminal smuggling industry' that he claims preys on migrants and causes 'far too many innocent deaths.'

The president's push to tackle the border crisis came after authorities found at least 53 migrants dead in an abandoned tractor-trailer in San Antonio, Texas on June 27.

The incident marks the deadliest human smuggling on American soil since 2003, when 19 migrants died after riding inside the rear compartment of sweltering 18-wheeler while they traveled from South Texas to Houston.

The number of migrant arrivals along the U.S.-Mexico border have hit record levels under the leadership of President Joe Biden

CBP data published earlier this month revealed immigration arrests rose to the highest levels ever recorded in May 2022.

Agents made 239,416 arrests along the border last month, a two percent increase from the number reported in April.

The agency claims it's preparing for a potential increase in migration levels.

Death incidents at the southern border more than doubled last year, compared to the numbers recorded in previous years.

The agency recorded 557 migrant deaths along the southwest border in 2021. There were 254 recorded deaths in 2020 and 300 in 2019.

The International Organization for Migration, which documents migrant deaths, alleges that the number of people who died attempting to cross the border in 2021 was actually more than 650.

CBP has not published a death tally for 2022 but recorded data shows at least 87 migrants have died while trying to come into the U.S.

Death incidents at the southern border more than doubled last year, compared to the numbers recorded in previous years

Additionally, CBP revealed the number of rescues across the southern border to date for 2022 also outpaces the number recorded in 2021.

Since October, Border Patrol has performed 14,278 search-and-rescue missions in a seven-month period through May.

These numbers are already exceeding the 12,833 missions performed during the previous 12-month period and up from 5,071 the year before.

The latest CBP data showed a large number of migrants are coming from Mexico, Central America, Cuba and Haiti. There is also a growing number of migrants arriving from Turkey, India, Russia and other countries outside of the Western Hemisphere.

CBP revealed the number of rescues across the southern border to date for 2022 also outpaces the number recorded in 2021

Border agents attribute the higher-than-usual number of repeat crossings in May due to the fact that migrants expelled under Title 42, a pandemic-era restriction currently tied up in court, face no legal repercussions if they try to cross again.

The number of unique individuals attempted to cross in May was 177,793; 25 percent of those stopped by agents had attempted to cross at least once before in the prior 12 months, according to CBP. The average re-encounter rate prior to Title 42 was 15 percent.

Most migrants attempting to cross in May were not families but single adults - 69 percent.

And unlike previous months, Title 42 is no longer the main authority under which migrants are expelled, only 42 percent of migrants were removed under the CDC's health order.

Most of the migrants expelled under Title 42 were single adults - only about one in six who came in families with children under 18 were subject to Title 42. Unaccompanied children are exempt from the rule.

Fifty-eight percent were expelled under Title 8. Under Title 8, a U.S. immigration policy used when migrants who try to cross unlawfully cannot establish any 'credible fear' basis for being in the country. DHS has said it will expand use of Title 8 once Title 42 is gone.

The Biden administration planned to end Title 42 on May 23 but a federal judge in Louisiana blocked the move three days before.

Read more:
  • Feds Detail Frantic Texts Between Christian Martinez and Homero Zamorano in San Antonio Migrant Truck Tragedy

News Source: dailymail.co.uk

Tags: topics index high on meth’ the nation’s deadliest trailer in san antonio the number of migrant the documents claim attempting to cross the tractor trailer the documents claim number of migrants san antonio police deaths along the undocumented according migrant crossing cross the border had attempted associated press in an abandoned central america court documents million arrests according to confirm migrant deaths san antonio the border border patrol single adults sweltering vigil was arrested the roadside migrants martinez the migrants on wednesday on monday try to cross the incident month period the vehicle truck after from mexico reported enter the u people died

EXCLUSIVE: Harvey Weinstein says there is 'no truth' to claim he sexually assaulted 16-year-old model in 2002 and argues his rape conviction 'doesn't make every allegation true'

Next News:

Broncos: Melvin Gordon Fires Back at False Report

Getty Denver Broncos RB Melvin Gordon III practices.

On August 13, Denver Broncos running back Melvin Gordon III hilariously responded to a false report on Twitter.

KDVR’s Arran Andersen reported that Gordon was working out with a pad on his right foot.

Melvin Gordon working out with a pad on his right foot. The #Broncos RB is dealing with a foot contusion pic.twitter.com/TTpvfPRvsV

— Arran Andersen (@arranandersen) August 13, 2022

Yes, there was an object near Gordon’s foot, but Andersen appears to have misidentified the object.

Gordon responded, “Hahaha that’s my cellphone sir…”.

Hahaha that's my cellphone sir… https://t.co/7PdsdQeoeJ

Read More From Heavy

Get in on Today’s NFL Action With a ‘No Sweat First Bet’

— F L ⚡️ S H (@Melvingordon25) August 14, 2022

Broncos: Gordon Is Dealing With a Foot Injury

Gordon has been sitting out of practice, as he has been dealing with a foot injury.

Head coach Nathaniel Hackett commented on the injury.

“We’re just taking care of his foot, and we’re just making sure he’s good,” Hackett said per team reporter Ellie Kinney. “He’s another one of those older guys. We want to make sure he’s primed and ready for the season.”

NFL Network’s James Palmer reported that the injury is not serious.

Looks like #broncos RB Melvin Gordon isn’t practicing either today via the #cowboys. Second straight day he’s missing with a foot issue. It’s not serious I’m told

— James Palmer (@JamesPalmerTV) August 11, 2022

The Broncos’ running back depth has been decimated by injuries over the past couple of weeks. Damarea Crockett suffered a season-ending ACL injury. Then, rookie Tyreik McAllister suffered a “significant” soft-tissue leg injury per Mike Klis of 9news.

Broncos also waive/injured RB Tyreik McAllister, who suffered significant soft-tissue leg injury in practice Tuesday. #9sports

— Mike Klis (@mikeklis) August 10, 2022

McAllister was subsequently designated as waived/injured.

The Broncos have three quality options at running back in Gordon, Javonte Williams, and Mike Boone, but there is uncertainty behind them. The Broncos signed Max Borghi, Stevie Scott III, and JaQuan Hardy following the injuries, but none of those three players stood out during the Broncos’ preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys. On Saturday, the trio had a combined 15 carries for 43 rushing yards.

With the depth at other position groups (wide receiver, edge rusher), could the Broncos carry only three running backs on their initial 53-man roster?

Gordon Called Out ‘Trash Article’ in June

This is not the first time that Gordon has publicly called out a report. In June, The Denver Post’s Sean Keeler wrote an article criticizing Gordon’s self-awareness and general locker room presence.

“If Russell Wilson is serious about changing the Broncos’ culture, he can start with Melvin Gordon,” Keeler wrote. “It’s not talent. It’s perception. It’s Gordon’s self-awareness. And his sometimes curious lack thereof.”

According to Keeler, some people within the organization view Gordon as a “me-first, fumble-prone headache”.

“With No. 25, there’s not much footing left when it comes to finding middle ground. Depending on whom you ask, Gordon is either an underrated, strong, confident, misunderstood fantasy-league workhorse or a selfish, me-first, fumble-prone headache.”

Gordon responded to the article on The Jim Rome Show.

“That pissed me off. I couldn’t care less about the fumbles or all that other jazz that they was talking about,” Gordon said. “What kind of irritated me was the bad teammate part. Like, I’ve never had a teammate – ever – since high school, since little league, ever tell me that I was a bad teammate.”

Gordon said that he prides himself on being a good teammate.

“So, for them to say that, I guarantee you can ask any teammate that I’ve ever been with, and they’ll look stupid. So, that kind of bothered me a lot because that’s the first time I’ve ever heard that, and like I said, I take pride in being a good teammate, man.”

Other News

  • This New COVID Variant Is Shaping Up to Be a Déjà Vu Nightmare
  • Today guest Justin Sylvester reveals the REAL reason he pushed co-host Jenna Bush Hager during ‘awkward’ live TV segment
  • Packers Activate Elgton Jenkins & 2 Others From PUP List
  • Patriots Re-Sign Former All-American and WAC Star
  • Texas football reportedly suffers two devastating season-ending injuries
  • I’m midsize – Walmart fashion haul looks like my mom’s high school wardrobe, but they’re back in style again
  • Movies | Bullet Train repeats No. 1; Top Gun flies back up ranks
  • Who is Whole Foods CEO John Mackey?
  • Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola wants Ilkay Gundogan to stay beyond next summer – but he’ll have to wait for new deal
  • At least the Yankees starting pitching is getting back on track
  • I bought an outfit online but “small-size” clothes that turned up were too tight at the top and too big at the bottom
  • Sonic Pickle Juice Slush: How long will it be available?
  • Chelsea ratings: N’Golo Kante rolls back years with sensational display as partner Jorginho gifts Spurs goal
  • Antonio Conte and Thomas Tuchel square up in massive row after Spurs controversially equalise against Chelsea
  • Teen Mom star Ryan Edwards’ wife Mackenzie says show BEGGED for them back after firing as she reveals their future on TV
  • Trump demands FBI return seized documents back to the location from which they were taken
  • 3 Braves players who won’t be on the roster by September 1
  • The 'lipstick index' is back — and retailers are trying to cash in
  • Inside the nastiest morning show co-host ‘feuds’ of all time including Hoda Kotb and Savannah Guthrie