This news has been received from: wtop.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

mail: [NewsMag]

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — For three days, authorities combed the turquoise waters north of Puerto Rico searching for 23-year-old Harold Carrión, whose mother reported him missing earlier this week and feared drowned at a popular beach.

The U.S. Coast Guard said it scoured an area about half the size of the U.

S. territory as Puerto Rico police officers, scuba divers, emergency management officials and others helped in a search that began Tuesday and cost more than $1.2 million.

But Carrión turned up alive on Friday after police received an anonymous tip and said they found him hiding in an abandoned structure in the north coastal town of Arecibo. His mother had earlier said Carrión was climbing some rocks near the ocean and fell in.

Police detained Carrión, but it wasn’t immediately clear if he had been charged with anything. He was supposed to have appeared in court this week on unrelated charges.

The Coast Guard shouldered a big chunk of the expense related to the search — $1 million — having dispatched two helicopters, a cutter and a boat from Puerto Rico plus an aircraft from Miami. Local authorities, meanwhile, said they spent some $200,000.

Nino Correa, who oversees Puerto Rico’s emergency management agency, said at a news conference that he was saddened and indignant over the turn of events.

“The full weight of the law must fall on this type of person,” he said, adding that crews were exposed to dangerous sea conditions and bad weather.

Alberto Martínez, search and rescue coordinator with the Coast Guard, said he shared the indignation.

Copyright © 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

News Source: wtop.com

Tags: emergency management the coast guard the coast guard puerto rico

Search For Person In Water Along Morrissey Boulevard In Dorchester Underway (DEVELOPING)

Next News:

World News | Unprecedented tragedy: Gunman in Montenegro kills 10, then is fatally shot by passerby

Associated Press

CETINJE, Montenegro — A man went on a shooting rampage in the streets of this western Montenegro city Friday, killing 10 people, including two children, before being shot dead by a passerby, officials said.

Montenegrin police chief Zoran Brdjanin said in a video statement shared with media that attacker was a 34-year-old man he identified only by his initials, V.B.

Brdjanin said the man used a hunting rifle to first shoot to death two children ages 8 and 11 and their mother, who lived as tenants in the attacker’s house in Cetinje’s Medovina neighborhood.

The shooter then walked into the street and randomly shot 13 more people, seven of them fatally, the chief said.

“At the moment, it is unclear what provoked V.B. to commit this atrocious act,” Brdjanin said.

Andrijana Nastic, the prosecutor coordinating the crime scene investigation, told journalists that the gunman was killed by a passerby and that a police officer was among the wounded.

She said nine of those killed died at the scene and two died at a hospital where they were taken for surgery.

Cetinje, the seat of Montenegro’s former royal government, is 22 miles west of Podogrica, the current capital of the small Balkan nation.

Prime Minister Dritan Abazovic wrote on his Telegram channel that the incident was “an unprecedented tragedy” and urged the nation “to be, in their thoughts, with the families of the innocent victims, their relatives, friends and all the people of Cetinje.”

President Milo Djukanovic said on Twitter that he was “deeply moved by the news of the terrible tragedy” in Cetinje, calling for “solidarity” with the families who lost loved-ones in the incident.

Other News

  • Mystery of Murdered Man’s Death Ripped Family Apart
  • Browns Provide Update After Starter Carted Off in Preseason Opener
  • Sacramento settles with parents of Stephon Clark, unarmed man killed by police, for $1.7 million
  • Netflix’s ‘The Carter’ Makes ‘The Gray Man’ Look Like Child’s Play
  • NBA Champion Sounds Off on Former Knicks Veteran
  • Crime and Public Safety | Man accused of trying to break Into FBI office is killed in standoff
  • Crime and Public Safety | Man shot multiple times in leg in East Oakland
  • AZ police tase 2 parents and arrest another for allegedly trying to get to their kids from grade school where armed intruder was reported
  • Sayville Man Drowns In Great South Bay
  • Brooklyn man falls to his death down garbage chute attempting to retrieve his KEYS after woman helped him get inside and another man looked on
  • Police Raid Home Of Bergen County Man Accused Of Stabbing Author Salman Rushdie During Lecture
  • Allentown Man Wanted In 2020 Homicide Arrested At Philadelphia International Airport
  • Kylie Jenner slammed for ‘hiding’ son, 6 months, while treating daughter Stormi, 4, to shopping spree & yacht party
  • Fox News Airs Fake Photo of Epstein and Trump Raid Judge Who Has Been Forced Into Hiding By Death Threats
  • I spent $100 on groceries for two people for two weeks at a lesser-known store – see the full list of products
  • Inside Salman Rushdie death threats that saw $3million bounty on his head after author is ‘stabbed on Chautauqua stage’
  • You have the eyes of a hawk if you can spot the owl camouflaged in the stone wall
  • Change Ad Consent Do not sell my data This Kitten Was Found All Alone Hiding Behind a Garbage Bin. Watch His Amazing Rescue Transformation!
  • Crime and Public Safety | Alleged killer of rookie California cop spent 1 day in jail after burglary, domestic violence conviction