Jul 01, 2022
Why did it take Boris Johnson so long to ditch drunken Chris Pincher?
This news has been received from: the-sun.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
BORIS Johnson finally booted shamed former Deputy Chief Whip Chris Pincher out of the Tory Party last night over his drunken groping shame.
In a spectacular U-turn, the PM withdrew the whip from the disgraced 52-year-old despite initially considering the matter closed as he had resigned as a minister.5Boris Johnson decided to boot Chris Pincher out of the party after speaking to an MP who witnessed his lewd behaviour at the club. 5In a spectacular U-turn, the PM withdrew the whip from the disgraced 52-year-old despite initially considering the matter closed after the MP resigned as a minister
But questions were being asked last night as to why it took Mr Johnson and his party so long to deal with a man who had faced accusations of lewd behaviour going back more than a decade.
It was even reported that Pincher — nicknamed “Arse” by some MPs because his surname matched his behaviour — required a minder to go to events with him.
The aim, it was said, was to keep him out of trouble. The Conservatives deny the claim.
Pincher, who had been in charge of party discipline, was replaced last night by former housing minister Kelly Tolhurst.
The scandal erupted when an official complaint was made to Parliament’s sleaze watchdog over Pincher’s conduct.
It was alleged that he groped two men at the swanky Carlton Club, the Conservative Party’s original home, in St James’s, central London.
Pincher, MP for Tamworth, Staffs, since 2010, resigned as a minister, telling the PM in a letter: “Last night I drank far too much.” But he tried to cling on as a Tory MP.
However, his boss, Chief Whip Chris Heaton- Harris, decided to step in.Most read in The US SunMONEY IS COMING Deadline to claim $500 direct monthly payments closes in TWO DAYSHAIR SCARE Kylie flaunts REAL hair with no extensions in rare pic & fans are concernedMOM AGAIN? Teen Mom Kailyn covers stomach with a jacket as fans suspect she's pregnantTOO SPOILED? Today host Jenna BLASTS Kim’s 'over-the-top' birthday party for daughter North
His spokesman said the PM “has agreed with the Chief Whip that the whip should be suspended from Chris Pincher while the investigation is ongoing”.
But Mr Johnson, who hired him in February, was under fire for claiming he knew nothing about Pincher’s sleazy background.
His spokesman said the PM “was not aware of any specific allegations” despite Pincher resigning as a whip in 2017 over lurid allegations.
He was accused of making a pass at former Olympic rower Alex Story while dressed in a bathrobe like a “pound shop Harvey Weinstein”.
Tory activist Mr Story, 26 at the time, said Pincher attempted to untuck his shirt, massaged his neck and whispered: “You’ll go far in the Conservative Party.”
Pincher quit and referred himself to police over the incident — said to have occurred at his home in 2001. A Tory probe cleared him.
A No10 source said the PM was aware of some rumours against Pincher but nothing substantiated, which is how he made it through the vetting process.
The PM decided to boot him out of the party after speaking to an MP who witnessed Pincher’s lewd behaviour at the club.
A No10 insider said: “The account given was sufficiently disturbing to make the PM feel more troubled.”
Disgraced tractor porn MP Neil Parish accused Mr Johnson of double standards for not kicking Pincher out sooner.
The farmer, who stepped down in May after admitting watching X-rated videos in Parliament, said: “The first thing they did to me, and I made a huge mistake, is that they withdrew the whip. There cannot be double standards.”
Senior Tory MPs Karen Bradley and Caroline Nokes have asked Tory Party chiefs to bring in a new code of conduct.
They called for zero tolerance over instances of sexual misconduct.
In a letter to the Chief Whip, they said Pincher should stay away from Parliament during the investigation.
Meanwhile, Tory grandee William Hague also suggested the PM could have acted quicker.
He told Times Radio: “I’d have liked to have seen that announcement earlier in the day but we have to be rigorous.
It’s really important to uphold high standards in public life. Consistency requires suspension of the whip.”
Last night, Labour said the PM had been “dragged kicking and screaming into taking any action at all”.
Deputy leader Angela Rayner, said: “He just can’t be trusted to do the right thing. This whole scandal is yet more evidence of his appalling judgment.
“It’s time for Conservative MPs to show this chaotic Prime Minister the door before he can do any more damage.”Read More on The SunBUMPING ALONG My baby bump is so big people think it’s fake - giving birth terrifies me
Liberal Democrat Chief Whip Wendy Chamberlain questioned why Mr Pincher got the job.
She said: “Boris Johnson also has serious questions to answer over why he appointed Chris Pincher to a role with important safeguarding responsibilities — despite concerns about him having been raised.”5Disgraced tractor porn MP Neil Parish accused Mr Johnson of 'double standards' for not kicking Pincher out sooner.Credit: Getty 5MP Caroline Nokes has urged the party to employ a policy of 'zero tolerance' on such issues in a letterCredit: Getty 5MP Karen Bradley also joined the callCredit: PA:Press Association
LETTER FROM TORY MPS KAREN BRADLEY AND CAROLINE NOKES
'Recent incidents have demonstrated an inconsistent and unclear approach to instances of sexual misconduct . . . we ask that you employ a policy of zero tolerance on these issues'
News Source: the-sun.com
Red Sox take gamble on controversial former Mets, Phillies reliever
The Boston Red Sox have had bullpen issues all season, and they’re seemingly looking to fix that by signing a controversial reliever.
The Boston Red Sox have had persistent trouble with their bullpen all season, and they seem to be addressing that by signing former New York Mets reliever Jeurys Familia.
Familia will begin his journey with the Red Sox in their farm system at Triple-A.
The Red Sox have signed veteran reliever Jeurys Familia and he will join the WooSox today in Scranton/WB. The 32-year-old has spent 11 seasons in the majors mostly with the New York Mets where he had 94 saves combined during the 2015 & 2016 seasons.
— Joe McDonald (@JoeyMacHockey) August 9, 2022
Familia has played nearly all his career seasons with the Mets, but played briefly with the Oakland Athletics in 2018 and played with the Philadelphia Phillies this season.
The 32-year-old reliever has been inconsistent throughout his entire career, and he’s currently having a bad season.
However, the bullpen needs whatever help it can potentially get.Red Sox: Jeurys Familia’s struggles and off-field behavior make for questionable deal
Familia isn’t likely to help the bullpen this season. He’s having his worst season yet and has produced an ERA of 6.09, a batting average against of .338, and a WHIP of 1.85. He’s never been consistently good and is unpredictable each season. However, he has had some really good seasons.
His best seasons were in 2015 and 2016 when he had 94 saves combined. In 2015, he had an extremely good season with an ERA of 1.85, a BAA of .207, and a WHIP of 1.00. He hasn’t been able to repeat that success, unfortunately.
What makes the signing look worse given his struggles on the mound is Familia’s off-field behavior. In 2016, he was arrested on domestic violence charges in New Jersey. Charges were dismissed but he still served a 15-game suspension after MLB investigated the incident.
For a season in Boston that has been full of bad moves, adding a reliever with a history connected to domestic violence and who hasn’t been good when on the field lately isn’t going to make being a Red Sox fan any easier to stomach.Next: Chaim Bloom sheds more light on bizarre Chris Sale injury