Jan 03, 2021
Raiders inactives: Denzelle Good is out, John Simpson to start at left guard
This news has been received from: mercurynews.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
An offensive line that has been playing mix and match all season at two positions will end that way Sunday against the Denver Broncos with rookie John Simpson starting at left guard in what amounts to an audition for a starting role in 2021.
The Raiders downgraded Denzelle Good from questionable to out Saturday with an ankle injury.Neither Brown nor right tackle Trent Brown will suit up for the regular-season finale in Denver. Sam Young will start at right tackle, with Brandon Parker the backup on both sides.
Designated as inactive Sunday, Good was joined by Brown, cornerback Amik Robertson, cornerback Isaiah Johnson, safety Erik Harris, defensive tackle Maurice Hurst and quarterback Nathan Peterman.
Good performed admirably throughout 2020 in what was supposed to be a backup role and instead saw him play in 15 games with 14 starts and was the recipient of some campaigning for a new contract in free agency from right guard Gabe Jackson.
Jackson, center Rodney Hudson and left tackle Kolton Miller have started every game for the Raiders. Richie Incognito, the left guard, was lost in the second game of the season with an Achillies’ tear and eventually went on injured reserve. Brown made it three plays into the opener with a calf injury, didn’t return until Week 5 against Kansas City, and then was shut down after contracting the coronavirus and further sidelined with complications from COVID-19.
Simpson, a fourth-round pick from Clemson, played 69 snaps against New Orleans after Incognito was injured and then started the following week against New England. Once Good, who played as an emergency right tackle for Brown, was moved back to left guard, Simpson played sparingly until getting 34 snaps against Miami last week. Good left the game after being injured against the Dolphins.
Coach Jon Gruden addressed the possibility of Simpson starting the finale on Friday.
“This is a big evaluation for John, no doubt. It’s not going to make or break him, but we like Simpson. He got off the bench and played well against New Orleans. He’s played well in spurts for us. He’s had some great mentors. For him to walk around with Jason Witten and Rodney Hudson and Gabe Jackson and Denzelle Good, Incognito. He’s had a real, I think, great experience and I think it’s fast tracked him. Hopefully you see a better version of Simpson on Sunday than you saw early, but we like him a lot.” Related Articles
- Live updates: Raiders vs. Broncos on Sunday, 1:25 p.m.
- Which draft picks will Raiders, 49ers wind up with after Sunday?
- Raiders vs. Broncos preview: What to know about Sunday’s finale
- It’s the end of the season for Trent Brown and the Raiders, but is it the end of the line?
- Raiders will miss playoffs, but defied odds to navigate COVID transactions, fines
— Safety Jeff Heath, who missed the last three games following a concussion in a goal line collision with Sam Darnold against the New York Jets, was activated and available. Harris, who missed Dolphins game while on the COVID-19 reserve list, was inactive.
— Practice squad promotions were offensive lineman Erik Magnusson and linebacker James Onwualu.
— Defensive end Arden Key was fined $6,572 for grabbing the facemask of Miami quarterback Miami quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick on the 34-yard completion to Mack Collins that set up the game-winning 44-yard field goal by the Dolphins last week.
News Source: mercurynews.com
Logan Paul says Tommy Fury ‘made the right decision’ to pull out against brother Jake and avoid embarrassing KO loss
LOGAN PAUL said Tommy Fury "made the right decision" not to fight his brother Jake and avoid a potentially embarrassing knockout loss.
Fury has twice withdrawn from fighting Jake, firstly after suffering a broken rib in training and most recently amid a US visa issue.3Jake Paul pictured with older brother LoganCredit: Amanda Westcott 3Tommy Fury has twice pulled out of fighting Jake PaulCredit: PA
But the Paul brothers cast doubt over the fight cancelations while discussing it on the Impaulsive podcast.
Logan, 27, said: "I told you, and I told you so, before you took the fight with Tommy, I recognise flake behaviour.
"And the second time when you said you wanted to fight him, I like it, I like the fight, but the man just doesn't have it in him.READ MORE IN BOXING'I'll BE THERE' Tommy Fury and Jake Paul 'too far gone' not to fight as Brit eyes bout
"He doesn't have that fire that his older brother has."
Jake, 25, responded: "I think it hits him when the pressure starts to build and the fight's actually confirmed, then he's like, 'Wow, I have to go up against this kid'.
"And he's fought all easy people that are put in there to lose. So when there's a real killer against you, I think that pressure sets in."
Logan said: "Regardless of whether or not it's an excuse, and the fact that it did happen and it's extremely embarrassing and he is kind of tainting the Fury name, I think he made the right decision.Most read in SportFINDING LOVE Find out about Lance Armstrong's wife Anna Hansen ArmstrongOH BOY! How Reddit took Serena Williams' husband Alexis Ohanian to multi-millionaire status'SAVAGE FIGHTER' Serena Williams makes shock revelation about growing up with King RichardRIDING INTO THE SUNSET Lance Armstrong marries long-time girlfriend Anna Hansen
FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS - BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
"Because, he can pull out and everyone can tell him he's scared and, 'You're a p****, you're living in your brother's shadow'. Whatever.
"But that's not as bad as being cold-clocked, knocked out on the canvas by you. Think about that.
"That lasts forever, dude. This is just going to be a window of time, for like a year people are going to be like, 'Tommy, you backed out' or whatever."
Jake added: "It's bad for him, man. He's a clown, but it is smart, if we would fight, he'd be knocked out."
Fury's first withdrawal came last December, leaving Paul to KO Tyron Woodley, 40, in a rematch having beaten him on points four months prior.
It added to wins over YouTuber "AnEsonGib", ex-NBA star Nate Robinson, 38, and retired UFC welterweight Ben Askren, 38.
Fury, 23, was due to be Paul's first opponent with a recognised boxing record until their latest grudge match axe.
Hasim Rahman Jr, 31, was drafted in as a replacement to fight on August 6 at New York's iconic Madison Square Garden.Read More on The SunMOBY LICK I was swallowed by a WHALE - I could feel the animal's muscles squeezing meBEAT THE HEAT You're using your fan WRONG - dangerous mistakes to be aware of amid heatwave
But a weight disagreement between the two forced the event to be scrapped on just one week notice.
As revealed by SunSport, Paul is now eyeing a boxing return in October.3Jake Paul and Hasim Rahman Jr before their fight cancelationCredit: Getty Images - Getty