This news has been received from: usnews.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

mail: [NewsMag]

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A growing number of GOP leaders in Kansas are calling for the resignation of three elected officials who were recorded planning a cover-up of their role in a plot to smear the Democratic mayor of the state's largest city.

The controversy stems from an ad that falsely suggested Wichita Mayor Brandon Whipple was accused of sexual harassment when he served in the Kansas Legislature.

The ad was published on YouTube during the mayoral election last year, The Wichita Eagle reports.

The calls for the resignation of Sedgwick County Commissioner Michael O’Donnell, Wichita City Council member James Clendenin and state Rep. Michael Capps have increased following the release of a pair of recordings made last November. In one of them, which was released Monday, Capps is heard threatening to bring down the entire party if county Republican leadership were to carry through with a call for him to resign after his role in the Whipple smear was revealed. The party released the statement anyway, but Capps remained in office.

The three GOP officials have repeatedly denied and downplayed their parts in the conspiracy. None of them have returned calls for comment from The Associated Press or The Eagle, which has been reporting on the smear video for more than a year.

“What I heard on the recording represents the very worst of politics and shows they have abused the positions entrusted to them by Kansas voters,” Republican U.S. Rep. Ron Estes said in a Facebook post on Monday night.

Also Monday, Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett said that he is investigating whether the three can be ousted from their elected positions. Of the three, only O’Donnell is up for reelection. The Sedgwick County Republican Party, the majority on the Sedgwick County Commission and the Wichita Chamber of Commerce also are demanding resignations.

Pressure began to mount last week after the first recording was released. In it, the three can be heard plotting to frame Sedgwick County Republican Party Chairman Dalton Glasscock for the Whipple smear video. The recording was made on Nov. 3, 2019, which is the very day Capps went on a radio show and publicly accused Glasscock of approving the anti-Whipple ad. That would have been a violation of campaign-finance laws because Glasscock worked as a media consultant on the campaign of then-mayor Jeff Longwell.

Longwell said in an email Saturday night that the ad did nothing to help him. “I could make the argument that because of the media and speculation of who was involved that I was hurt by the fabricated video and had nothing to do with any of it,” he said.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Tags: Associated Press, Kansas, elections

News Source: usnews.com

Tags: news associated press associated press associated press kansas elections countries news

US congressional delegation visits Taiwan

Next News:

I was kidnapped by a killer who planned to rape and murder me – he was given THREE life sentences but could soon be free

A WOMAN kidnapped by a killer who planned to rape and murder her and was given THREE life sentences could soon be free.

Debbie Vangerko was just 17 when drug addict Nicholas Burton kidnapped her and held her at knifepoint for 11 hours in 1997.

2Debbie Vangerko was kidnapped and held at gunpoint for 11 hours by her attackerCredit: News Group Newspapers Ltd 2Nicholar Burton, now 51, is being prepared for release despite being handed three life sentencesCredit: Greater Manchester Police

Hours earlier, the deranged addict had stabbed Rachel McGrath - the 27-year-old daughter of a district judge - to death in a random attack in a pub car park in Cheshire.

Debbie - who had no connections to Burton - was taken while on a nearby street and survived thanks to a pit stop at a petrol station in Caernarfon, North Wales, where she managed to flee.

Burton would go on to admit he planned to rape and murder Debbie and a find a third victim.

Despite the horror of his crimes, Debbie was told by probation officials her maniacal kidnapper was being prepared for release.

READ MORE ON CRIMEPURE EVIL Pedo stalked girl for three years before breaking into home & shooting her deadTWISTED RAGE Boyfriend's chilling last words before he threw himself and lover off cliff

In her first interview since the horror ordeal, she criticised the Parole Board currently at the centre of a government review and said it was "not fit for purpose", according to the Daily Mail.

She said it was time the rights of victims took precedence over those of criminals.

Burton was found guilty in April 1998 of Miss McGrath's murder as well as the false imprisonment and threat to kill Debbie. He was handed three life sentences.

Justice Morland described him at the time as a "highly dangerous man who will endanger the lives of women indefinitely" and his crimes so heinous "no Home Secretary is ever likely to allow your release".

Most read in The US SunCHECk please Direct payments of $841 to be sent out to millions of Americans in just weeksCHECK YOUR POST $325 August tax rebate for more than a million Americans to be mailedWARDROBE MALFUNCTION I've got big boobs - SKIMS swimwear left me an X-rated problemBABY ON BOARD? Kourtney drops hint she's pregnant after fans spot clue during Travis' tour

Debbie and Miss McGrath's family later discovered Burton's minimum 25-year jail term expired earlier this year following time served before his trial.

The 43-year-old survivor said she was "scared" about Burton's release.

A tearful Debbie said: "I thought he was never going to come out.

"There is no deterrent. These monsters should not be allowed out. They are put away, but then let out in a few years. 

"There’s no real justice. Leave him to rot and this country will be a safer place."

Other News

  • Three Tennessee Projects Awarded $64 Million for Transportation Infrastructure by the U.S. Department of Transportation
  • Kids forced to lock down and cower in fear at Six Flags in Illinois after shooter opens fire from a car in the parking lot - leaving three with gunshot wounds
  • Three injured in shooting at Six Flags Great America in Illinois
  • Health | California monkeypox response is bumpy, but builds on some lessons from COVID
  • Man Accused In Nassau County Burglary Spree Charged For New Incident At Starbucks, Police Say
  • Scioto County Junior Fair Hog Show results
  • San Bernardino Mountains hit with flash floods as summer downpours continue
  • Eastern, Western and Contesting Horse show results from the Scioto County Fair
  • Boy, 3, Critical After Fall From 2nd Story Window In Jersey City: Report
  • California News | California county sees 11 new dry wells reported in past month
  • Gannett Lays Off Staffers Across Region, Nation Following $54 Million Quarterly Loss
  • Gannett Starts Layoffs Across Region, Nation Following $54 Million Quarterly Loss
  • Broncos: Melvin Gordon Fires Back at False Report
  • Crime and Public Safety | Witnesses sought after California deputy shoots, wounds one during arrest attempt
  • Brand-New Rankings Reveal Massachusetts' Wealthiest Counties
  • Drunk Driver Nabbed For Leaving Scene Of Crash That Killed Woman In Ronkonkoma, Police Say
  • Environment | Ban on wild cow milking plus spurs and bucking straps could threaten Alameda Countys rodeos
  • Crime and Public Safety | Exclusive: Alameda County children wait as caseworkers fail to urgently respond to reports of abuse
  • Column: When a sheriff OKs harassing a pastor for a Batmobile, it’s time for accountability