Oct 16, 2020
Jihadist attacks increase in Burkina Fasos Sahel region
This news has been received from: wtop.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
BOULOUNGA, Burkina Faso (AP) —
The attacks occurred in Bombofa, Peteguerse, and Demniol towns, in Seno province and the army is searching the area, government spokesman Remis Fulgance Dandjinou said.
The victims were internally displaced people attacked on the road while trying to return to their villages, the Emir of Liptako Dicko Ousmane Amirou whose home is near the attacks, told The Associated Press on Friday. One of the victims was the son of a chief, he said.
“It’s concerning for everyone,” said Amirou. “The government no longer has a monopoly on security … It is only once security and justice are guaranteed that displaced people can be asked to return to their villages,” he said.
Burkina Faso’s army is struggling to stem jihadist violence that has spread across the country, killing almost 2,000 people so far this year and causing more than 1 million to flee their homes. This week’s attacks come after one last week in the Center-North region where extremist rebels killed 25 displaced people also trying to return home to collect their belongings, according to three survivors of the attacks.
The extremist violence has created a humanitarian crisis and civilians living in makeshift displacement sites in insecure areas say they are living in fear.
“I’m afraid of terrorists, I hear that they’re all around us,” Mariam Sawadogo told the AP during a visit to Boulounga village this week in the Center-North region where some 4,000 people have been displaced. The remote village is one of two towns where people have fled for safety in the hard-hit area.
As violence against communities increases, Burkina Faso experts warn that more empty villages could “potentially turn into new bases or harbors for jihadists, while the state keeps losing ground,” said Flore Berger, a Sahel analyst.
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.
News Source: wtop.com
Child Committed Arson Displacing 24 People From 7 Homes In Central PA: Police
A 12-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with an arson that displaced 24 people, from seven Pennsylvania homes, authorities say.
The fire had broken out at 7 p.m. in the rear of one of the townhomes in the complex and was knocked down in about 20 minutes, according to multiple fire companies called to the scene.
No injuries were reported but 11 children and 13 adults were displaced after the fire impacted seven homes, according to the Red Cross of Greater Pennsylvania.
An investigation by the Middletown Borough Fire Marshall determined that the fire was "incendiary in nature caused by an open flame applied to combustible materials by human hands."
The boy suspected of starting the blaze was arrested at 9 p.m., according to the police.
He was charged with Arson, Recklessly Endangering Another Person, and Reckless Burning, the release explains.
He has been remanded to the custody of the Dauphin County Juvenile Probation Services, the release details.