Aug 17, 2020
Chicago fire academy closed due to COVID-19 outbreak, CFD says
This news has been received from: abc7chicago.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
CHICAGO (WLS) -- The Chicago fire academy is closed until further notice after an apparent COVID-19 outbreak impacting both students and instructors.
Officials said they are working to determine the source of the outbreak at the Robert J. Quinn Fire Academy, located at 558 W. De Koven Street in the South Loop.
Officials have not said exactly how many people tested positive for COVID-19, but there are multiple cases. Those individuals are now in isolation and none require hospitalization. For now, the other trainees will participate in remote instruction.
Fire officials said the facility where Chicago firefighters are trained will undergo a deep cleaning. A representative from a janitorial service was seen arriving at the fire academy Monday afternoon, apparently to do a site survey.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, officials said there have been close to 300 cases of COVID-19 within the Chicago Fire Department. Two firefighters, Mario Araujo and Edward Singleton, have died.
Full statement from Chicago Fire Department spokesperson Larry Langford:
"The health and safety of Chicago's firefighters, paramedics and recruits are our utmost priority. That is why following multiple confirmed COVID-19 cases at the Robert J. Quinn Fire Academy, the Department has temporarily suspended training at the facility while we work to thoroughly clean and disinfect the entire facility. Furthermore, the Department will clean all employees' work areas and any vehicles and equipment used. To prevent the spread of COVID-19 in all facilities, the Department continues to work with the Chicago Department of Public Health (CPDH) to ensure social distancing and public health guidelines are strictly enforced and that all individuals abide by them. The current class of recruits will continue their training through remote learning. All individuals who tested positive for COVID-19 will remain in isolation while any close contacts will quarantine. No individuals who have tested positive have required hospitalization, and we will continue to monitor their condition. The Department will provide an update when training resumes in the facility."
News Source: abc7chicago.com
3 White Sox players who won’t be on the roster by September 1
Next1 of 3Prev postUse your ← → (arrows) to browse
KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI – AUGUST 09: Lenyn Sosa #50 of the Chicago White Sox celebrates his home run in the third inning during the second game of doubleheader against the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium on August 09, 2022 in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by Ed Zurga/Getty Images)
These three members of the Chicago White Sox roster are most likely to be gone by September 1.
The Chicago White Sox are hoping to make a late push in the last month and a half to capture a wild card spot or maybe even win the American League Central. A favorite at the start of the season, they’ve been prey rather than predators for almost the entire season.
August will be a big month for them and several of their players. It could even be the end—if even just temporarily—for a few of the members of the roster.
We can expect these three White Sox players to be gone from the roster by the time the calendar hits September 1.1) White Sox roster won’t have Lenyn Sosa for long
Lenyn Sosa is essentially the roster replacement for Tim Anderson. The team’s star shortstop is down with an injury. As soon as he’s back, Sosa is the most logical player to head back to the minor leagues.
There is little doubt this is the plan the White Sox will have with their roster. Sosa doesn’t have much of a role on the team beyond the return of Anderson. Maybe he outperforms Leury Garcia but so far he hasn’t done much at the plate.
In a season where they’ve battled through plenty of injuries, this is a team with only one player to appear in over 100 games thus far. They haven’t been too afraid about demoting or DFA’ing players throughout the year. Jake Burger was recently sent down. Earlier in the year, Dallas Keuchel was designated for assignment.
Sending Sosa back to the minors is a much easier decision. Anything he can offer the White Sox right now in the absence of Anderson is extra. What they really need is for others to step up and at least get quality defense from Sosa.Next: 2. A pitcher the White Sox could demote Next1 of 3Prev postUse your ← → (arrows) to browse